Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some team out there would probably give him the max in FA.
    Lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need to bid against yourselves Spurs. Just wait until next summer. I think it’ll be a tepid market for him.
    Next summer there will be a lack of quality FAs. Market for him will explode if he is a FA next summer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably holding out to see how he plays this year. Lets see how he improved over summer n meshes even more in his second year in system. We may all be apologizing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoping DeRozan signs for less. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs do want to keep him. He's a good player and will likely be one of the best players on the roster for the next couple of years. The absolute max I'd give him is $92M/3 though, because that would still allow the Spurs to trade him before the deadline. I'm hoping for something like $54-60M/2 though. If he wants to do something about $75M/3, that'd probably make it possible to add a max player without losing any core pieces outside LMA.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next summer there will be a lack of quality FAs. Market for him will explode if he is a FA next summer
    Lol. No other team is going to give that scrub anything close to a max. And if one does? Good riddance! He's trash

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoping DeRozan signs for less. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs do want to keep him. He's a good player and will likely be one of the best players on the roster for the next couple of years. The absolute max I'd give him is $92M/3 though, because that would still allow the Spurs to trade him before the deadline. I'm hoping for something like $54-60M/2 though. If he wants to do something about $75M/3, that'd probably make it possible to add a max player without losing any core pieces outside LMA.
    Do you think he would take something like Aldridge did, with 2 years of decent guaranteed money and a third mostly non-guaranteed year?

Though depending on how the young guards develop, and given the Spurs' apparent priority on 2021 cap space, I'm not sure I'd even support what I just mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a DeRozan fan but some of y'all are seriously undervaluing him around the league. I guarantee he will be getting max offers as a FA next year

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the max extension, I don't want DeRozan back at anything even approaching his market value. He doesn't play defense, he shot 15.6% from the three point line, and it's only downhill from here with him on the wrong side of 30. No thanks. He might become borderline unplayable in the starting lineup if Murray's range hasn't greatly improved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not good enough to go out of your way to extend.

LMA is a higher tier player than DDR is and the Spurs don't want to overpay for him I don't think.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Toronto can't trade their 2020 pick. Otherwise I'd be all for sending him back to Canada for that pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not happening imho.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not a DeRozan fan but some of y'all are seriously undervaluing him around the league. I guarantee he will be getting max offers as a FA next year
    From who, the Knicks?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Par for the course..we all know no one is gonna sign with us by choice....even though all these players at USAB talk about how great he is, not one has actually chosen to play for pop...patfo are gonna totally this team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate that form but if it starts going in this year, Spurs are an entirely different team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect nothing is ruled out until he is either officially resigned, traded, or walks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if I can look at dribble2much's IG when one of the photos is this....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy it. The famously frugal Spurs are not going to max out a guy they know has obvious shortcomings along with obvious strengths...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see them letting him walk for nothing.If hes not moved soon probably get that fat extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he would take something like Aldridge did, with 2 years of decent guaranteed money and a third mostly non-guaranteed year?

Though depending on how the young guards develop, and given the Spurs' apparent priority on 2021 cap space, I'm not sure I'd even support what I just mentioned.
    I don't think the market is really similar for the two of them. Just talking about cap percentage alone, DMDR would need to get something around $90M/3 for it to be the same level of financial commitment. I don't know if I'd support a partially guaranteed year, and I'm not sure that really appeals to DeMar, who shouldn't be close to retirement in three years (unlike LMA who could retire in a year or two without anyone really be shocked). I think both sides would prefer the two years over that for various reasons.

I don't see the downside to giving DeRozan a smart extension that reflects his true value. He's not likely to lose any more value for a while now, so if he had a trade market this summer as an expiring, he will continue to have one after he gets locked up. I'd go so far as to say most of the teams that asked after him would probably feel much better about their potential offers if DeRozan got a couple of extra years on his deal. Maxing him out would be hard to take, especially right not and as an extension. But I'm not nearly as convinced as some that he won't be better than Murray, White and Walker for years and years to come. Move him if that turns out to be wrong, but keep him as long as it's true.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible idea to retain Dumbmar at any cost.

I don't think the market is really similar for the two of them. Just talking about cap percentage alone, DMDR would need to get something around $90M/3 for it to be the same level of financial commitment. I don't know if I'd support a partially guaranteed year, and I'm not sure that really appeals to DeMar, who shouldn't be close to retirement in three years (unlike LMA who could retire in a year or two without anyone really be shocked). I think both sides would prefer the two years over that for various reasons.

I don't see the downside to giving DeRozan a smart extension that reflects his true value. He's not likely to lose any more value for a while now, so if he had a trade market this summer as an expiring, he will continue to have one after he gets locked up. I'd go so far as to say most of the teams that asked after him would probably feel much better about their potential offers if DeRozan got a couple of extra years on his deal. Maxing him out would be hard to take, especially right not and as an extension. But I'm not nearly as convinced as some that he won't be better than Murray, White and Walker for years and years to come. Move him if that turns out to be wrong, but keep him as long as it's true.
    Aldridge was and is the exact archetype that ages best. Unless DeRozan pulls a shocker and makes a quantum leap from 3 ala '10-11 Jefferson, he's a type that's likely to fall off a cliff in his early 30s. His free throw rate declining significantly last season was a likely precursor to this (though he remained an elite driver and finisher).

Normally with a (supposed) star, extending them would help their trade value, but it probably makes no difference in his case. In addition to what I just said, because he's so difficult to build around, there's naturally going to be a narrow market for him so whoever would have interest (Pistons and Magic are the only logical teams), would likely feel confident in getting him re-signed anyway.

Since he's useless off ball and none of the 3 young guards are exactly snipers, he'll naturally stunt their growth in terms of on ball reps and limit their minutes because they'll prioritize optimizing him.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maxing him out is one of the worst deal ever. They sign it im not a spurs fan anymore
    K bye!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurms fans last season:

« I would rather have DeRozan than that traitor Kawhi!!!!!!!! »

Spurms fans today : « nooooooooooo »

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does extending him out effect our ability to sign our young players shen their contracts are up?

Thread Information