San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know its 2k, but if you ran a lineup with
    White
    Derozen
    Carroll
    Gay
    LaMarcus
    With Demar as the primary ball handler, its so ing fun. I'd love to see what that lineup could do in real life.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not even the main issue though. Spurs would not only need a good defensive wing, but he would also have to be a dead-eye high-volume 3-point shooter. That's why Forbes is starting. Somebody like Bogdanovic would already improve things, although he's a mediocre defender, but he's taller than Bryn. I'd love to get Joe Harris in free agency, but the Spurs won't have the money for him unless DeRozan opts out. Don't know if there is anybody else on the market who fits that profile

It depends on what you mean by "on the market", and what you mean by "high volume". There are guys who could be acquired, but the ones who are proven to fit that profile are going to be expensive, and the Spurs have been -bent on keeping themselves in cap . I've been screaming about that for three seasons, and this is the reason why. One of the only ways the Spurs are going to get the guy you described is to find one who isn't currently getting the minutes, and so isn't getting as many 3PA/game. E'Twaun Moore with the Pelicans is one of those.

Still, the Spurs could have added a guy or two that would have been a lot better than this. A few years ago, I screamed for the Spurs to pick up an undrafted guy named Fred VanVleet - you may have heard of him. Max Strus was undrafted this year, same deal. (Strus got badly injured recently, so we may never know.) I also wanted them to snatch Darius Miller out of free agency this offseason, for the same reason - he got hurt too, so maybe I just have a knack for picking injury potential.

The Spurs could improve this team today if they would spin Forbes for whatever they could get, and put Walt Lemon on the roster in his place. If they got Lemon the shots Bryn is getting, I guarantee you he would have the 3P% to earn the minutes. He's taller than Bryn, he's a better defender than Bryn, and he knocks down the 3 ball. And unlike Bryn, he could actually make defender pay for running at him too hard, because he could actually get past them to the paint. Just let him play the 2 like Bryn, and the team improves. Forbes may put up some points, but his horrible defense makes people around him worse. And DDR is the one that really suffers from it the most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which probably is OK as the upcoming draft is seen as weak and Spurs had too many young players competing for places.

I would be all for getting Covington, but I can't stretch my imagination to getting him in exchange for Beli and Forbes. Christmas is over, and the fat man didn't carry either of them away.

It makes a big difference whether the Spurs are going to be holding the 17th pick, or something like the 8th. You want to throw in a Top 10 protected pick to land Covington and then tank, I'm all for it. The draft will be weak, but it won't be empty. The 2016 draft was really poor, but there were guys in there that I'd like to have on this team. With a Top 10 pick, the Spurs would have a shot at a draft sleeper, if they're capable of recognizing him.

But getting rid of Beli and Forbes, gaining Covington, and losing the 17 pick in this draft? Yeah.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be all for getting Covington, but I can't stretch my imagination to getting him in exchange for Beli and Forbes. Christmas is over, and the fat man didn't carry either of them away.

It makes a big difference whether the Spurs are going to be holding the 17th pick, or something like the 8th. You want to throw in a Top 10 protected pick to land Covington and then tank, I'm all for it. The draft will be weak, but it won't be empty. The 2016 draft was really poor, but there were guys in there that I'd like to have on this team. With a Top 10 pick, the Spurs would have a shot at a draft sleeper, if they're capable of recognizing him.

But getting rid of Beli and Forbes, gaining Covington, and losing the 17 pick in this draft? Yeah.
    I was hoping that the currently situation at the wolves would cause them to target DDR in the offseason and thus exchanging Covington for a pair of expiring contracts would be attractive enough for them. As they are quite well stocked at SF. If the Spurs gonna keep this roster then I hope they re-role white to be a 3 and D. They simply had too many players that needs the ball in their hands including Lonnie and Keldon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hoping that the currently situation at the wolves would cause them to target DDR in the offseason and thus exchanging Covington for a pair of expiring contracts would be attractive enough for them. As they are quite well stocked at SF. If the Spurs gonna keep this roster then I hope they re-role white to be a 3 and D. They simply had too many players that needs the ball in their hands including Lonnie and Keldon.
    Hey, I wasn't bashing the idea of trading for Covington at all. I agree with RC that they can get a better deal, but if the Spurs could pull it off it would be a good trade. You're not talking trading DeRozan for Curry or something like a lot of people suggest.

As for trading DDR in the offseason, we don't even know if he'll opt in for next season. This FA class is so thin, he's arguably the top unrestricted player on the list. People here can complain all they want, but there will be teams throwing serious cash at him.

Thread Information