Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have included Jackson but whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TNT is the gold standard anyway. sucks about van gundy but lol at Max and Keyshawn.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    If they keep Kendrick Perkins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they opened up the vault for McAfee so they just might.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TNT is the gold standard anyway.

Exactly!!! Sometimes I would watch halftime to see these guys and not even the game if I wasn't interested in the teams. Not only were they knowledgeable about the NBA, but they made if fun and exciting to watch .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly!!! Sometimes I would watch halftime to see these guys and not even the game if I wasn't interested in the teams. Not only were they knowledgeable about the NBA, but they made if fun and exciting to watch .
    I wouldn’t call them knowledgeable but they are entertaining for sure

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , right as the NBA gets interesting again we're going to get stuck with Mark Jackson as the main color commentator

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , right as the NBA gets interesting again we're going to get stuck with Mark Jackson as the main color commentator
    yep him tbh

JVG is a good analyst and he’s funny, but he talks too much.
    Ffs , let Mike Breen call the game.
    I wouldn’t mind seeing him with the TNT crew, but not during games, just with Inside the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pair the van gundy brothers, just for kicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pair the van gundy brothers, just for kicks.
    good idea tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JVG is really one of the only ESPN guys I like. Lol at Kellerman and Rose. Had they axed Rose, Kellerman and Perkins it would have been a solid firing. As it is...meh.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep him tbh

JVG is a good analyst and he’s funny, but he talks too much.
    Ffs , let Mike Breen call the game.
    I wouldn’t mind seeing him with the TNT crew, but not during games, just with Inside the NBA.
    JVG at TNT was actually very good as a tertiary color commentator when paired with Mike Fratello back in the day at color and Marv Albert/Kevin Harlan at play-by-play. Obviously Albert and likely Fratello aren't coming back.

Mark Jackson sucks and ESPN's presentation has sucked ever since around 2006 when Mike Breen was promoted to the number 1 play-by-play spot and ESPN/ABC have done literally EVERY ING NBA FINALS since and including 2006. Always felt like Mike Tirico deserved the "A" spot over Breen when Tirico was at ESPN. The best was Brad Nessler but apparently he didn't really like doing basketball even though he was good at it. He only did it one year (2003). Al Michaels was good but probably a victim of his own success. Breen was better off as a 3rd or 4th stringer for TNT paired with guys like Dan Majerle back when TNT had that stacked lineup in the early 2000s.

Also ESPN has never really had good color commentary replacements since Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert stopped doing "A" team color at games. Sort of how Fox NFL never replaced their "A" team properly. Also, Mike Tirico in 2015 was a huge loss because he was a huge multi-sport asset for ESPN for so many years and took a lesser role at NBC to just do football and pretty much lead the "B" cast for 7 years all the way until Michaels left last year.

But I guess that's just a relic of society in general... life was pretty much perfect in the early and mid 2000s. Everything in general started going downhill around 2006. Basketball, politics, video games (Especially sports video games), fun, digitalization, society as a whole.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 06-30-2023 at 04:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like TNT and ABC/ESPN should alternate NBA Finals years sort of like football, but TNT's color commentary hasn't really been good since guys like Mike Fratello and JVG left (never was a big fan of Kerr, Reggie Miller, or Chris Webber at color)... the one year in 2014 that TNT picked up one of the GOATs in Joel Meyers was really good. Obviously Marv Albert will be forever tough to replace.

I still think Joel Meyers is one of the best in the business and his career has been largely wasted in crappy local markets like New Orleans. He should be national.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JVG at TNT was actually very good as a tertiary color commentator when paired with Mike Fratello back in the day at color and Marv Albert/Kevin Harlan at play-by-play. Obviously Albert and likely Fratello aren't coming back.

Mark Jackson sucks and ESPN's presentation has sucked ever since around 2006 when Mike Breen was promoted to the number 1 play-by-play spot and ESPN/ABC have done literally EVERY ING NBA FINALS since and including 2006. Always felt like Mike Tirico deserved the "A" spot over Breen when Tirico was at ESPN. The best was Brad Nessler but apparently he didn't really like doing basketball even though he was good at it. He only did it one year (2003). Al Michaels was good but probably a victim of his own success. Breen was better off as a 3rd or 4th stringer for TNT paired with guys like Dan Majerle back when TNT had that stacked lineup in the early 2000s.

Also ESPN has never really had good color commentary replacements since Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert stopped doing "A" team color at games. Sort of how Fox NFL never replaced their "A" team properly. Also, Mike Tirico in 2015 was a huge loss because he was a huge multi-sport asset for ESPN for so many years and took a lesser role at NBC to just do football and pretty much lead the "B" cast for 7 years all the way until Michaels left last year.

But I guess that's just a relic of society in general... life was pretty much perfect in the early and mid 2000s. Everything in general started going downhill around 2006. Basketball, politics, video games (Especially sports video games), fun, digitalization, society as a whole.
    The worst part is that TNT will never have the NBA Finals, Disney is way too rich

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst part is that TNT will never have the NBA Finals, Disney is way too rich
    Yeah unfortunately true. Was hoping Based DeSantis could put a hole in that though and at least make them just another company.

BSPN has been garbage for well over a decade. They were last good like over 15 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joel Meyers has a great voice.

I’m also a big fan of Kevin Calabro, used to be the Sonics (RIP) voice, now Blazers’.

Marv Albert was great but his MJ ball licking was annoying tbh.
    Stockton was good.

Miami Heat’s play by play guy isn’t bad either

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TNT is the gold standard anyway. sucks about van gundy but lol at Max and Keyshawn.
    More like Barkley is the gold standard. Take him away from TNT and it also becomes garbage. The moment Barkley is gone is the moment I will not tune in to TNT's halftime, pregame, and post-game show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Barkley is the gold standard. Take him away from TNT and it also becomes garbage. The moment Barkley is gone is the moment I will not tune in to TNT's halftime, pregame, and post-game show.
    I disagree. I think it’s a good mix. Shaq and Barkley playoff each other and are hilarious. Ernie is the one that keeps it all together and Kenny plays off shack, Charles and Ernie. The entire team is good to go in my humble opinion.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Who is that newish screaming white guy who talks with SAS? It's all caricatures now. They took the TNT crew and tried to duplicate it but putting dumb folks on TV doesn't duplicate Barkley.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I thought TNT was better before Shaq. He tries too hard to be both smarter than Kenny and funnier than Charles. And he's neither. And Kenny's not even basketball smart. Kenny makes up and misuses words, makes up words that sound like real words but aren't. I agree that without Charles, the show isn't any good. It's not that great anymore anyway. The production quality is still good tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With affirmative action coming to an end, it was only a matter of time until Jalen Rose would be unemployed, tbh...

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought TNT was better before Shaq. He tries too hard to be both smarter than Kenny and funnier than Charles. And he's neither. And Kenny's not even basketball smart. Kenny makes up and misuses words, makes up words that sound like real words but aren't. I agree that without Charles, the show isn't any good. It's not that great anymore anyway. The production quality is still good tho.
    early shaq was bad when he couldn't take a joke but he found his rhythm spun that off into his character and it works now that he can laugh at himself, but his character on the show is nothing without chuck as shown by his tuesday night gig with tnt's b team. Which is just about as bad as anything espn would put on. TNT's ed without chuck and they know it which is why he got the bag. Inside is basically 4 characters one guy who thinks he's always right, one guy who's full of , one guy who is just there to get paid, and ernie, and it works because none of them give a , except for ernie. Their appearance of a lack of any kind of production is why it works, and over producing is why espn is .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol so its the males getting fired, whattabout the female who sits in the middle who offers no insight into the game?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. I think it’s a good mix. Shaq and Barkley playoff each other and are hilarious. Ernie is the one that keeps it all together and Kenny plays off shack, Charles and Ernie. The entire team is good to go in my humble opinion.
    Once Barkley goes none of them will be worth watching without him. It's like taking Michael Jackson out of the Jackson 5.

Thread Information