32 29.09%
  • no

78 70.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    #POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do u guys think about pop? Should he retire?

Imo he doesnt fit to nowadays basketball, bc of him we lost a great oportunity to rebuild trading the best asset (kawhi) to TOR for ddr -.- , very short sightseeing, a nonsense chasing another PO and fighting for 7-8 seed and finally nobody wants to play in USA team. I really admire Pop(top3 coach ever easily) but as a spurs fan im tired of watching spurs with no progress.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These russian trolls are everywhere.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many people are in for a rude awakening when he does. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should OP retire?

vote yes below by posting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop should retire. And yes the trade for DDR was horrible, no doubt about it, but that’s more on Kawhi than Pop. Nobody offered him anything and Kawhi, who had already missed an entire season, was threatening not to play again in the next season.

But Pop I thought was done in 2011 when we lost to the grizzzlies in the first round. Then to his credit he adapted and learned from his mistakes and came back with a vengeance 2012-2014. Best coaching I’ve ever seen from anyone. Period. 2015 we get injured. 2016 Kawhi isn’t ready to be the man. 2017 we should’ve rung and 2018 was an admirable job tbh.

But last year was his 2011 all over again and it looks like he’s done. He made all the classic mistakes that he didn’t make when he was at the top of his game. Remember he benched Marco in the playoffs during 2014 and barely played him any meaningful minutes. He didn’t politic or accept bad defense. But last year he over played Marco and he over played Patty and he somehow thought that playing them together and making the worst defensive backcourt since Avery and Vinny was a good idea. He didn’t adjust to it at all and it cost us the series. Add in the fact that his solution to Plumlee was to let Gay iso him every possession instead of running pick n rolls with Rudy Gay or even having LMA screen and roll with Gay to get two slow defenders in bad position in Plumlee and Jokic. But instead he just said eh chuck away 15 foot fall away jumpers. I just don’t understand his fascination with Mills and rolling with him in game 7. He scored a whopping single more point than White did. The kid won you a game not Mills so roll with him and show confidence in him going forward.

Also how many games did he lose us with him just iso balling DDR at the end of games? And his out of time out plays have gotten horrible as well. It’s time for him to retire. He’s had a great career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has earned the right to call it a day at his choosing. I think he is still one of the best. This team should have been in the final eight last year - they should have defeated Denver.

The Spurs are paying the price now for having American AAU drama queens being in the top dog roles over the last four years. The Duncans, Parkers, Ginobilis and Robinson's of the world had a little bit more perspective and self-awareness and appreciated the San Antonio environment. They never quit or gave up. 75% of today's NBA "stars" are coddled and difficult to deal with - they do not handle adversity very well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you should retire.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    should've just trade Kawhi for Tobias, Shai-Gilgeious Alexander and a dozen of picks. Would've been better than Debrick Depression

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many people are in for a rude awakening when he does. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    +1 Folks are spoiled. I dread the day that Pop retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s getting back to the NBA finals. Guarantee

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s getting back to the NBA finals. Guarantee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs roster was terrible last year and he still got them to the playoffs and nearly 50 wins. Nephew quitting on the team was never a Pop issue cause he still ended up ditching Toronto. Really, the current crop of NBA players are en led and divas. Won’t be surprised if any of the young guys like Murray, White, Lonnie turn into a star and ditch San Antonio because it’s the cool thing to do.

Pop has his flaws but he’s still a good coach and the Spurs don’t have a more suitable alternate at the moment. IMO, it’s players on the team that need to go (Derozan, Beli, Mills to name a few).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is all that’s left. The new breed is everything this forum claims to hate when he’s gone, so, too, are the Spurs as we know them. That will be the time of the “en led” superstars. No more culture when that happens. We might as well be the f*cking Clippers when that happens. Just another hapless franchise. Yay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not as focused on the game as he use to be. Too much politics or too much loss with his wife passing. He just is not the coach he use to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since we're in for:

such a letdown when Pop retires

1. Should the new coach be expected to be better then Pops 1st year? A .266 win %. 17-47.

2. Will the new coach get a Tim Duncan equivilent in the draft in between his 1st and 2nd season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol rebuild? Look around the league. Just because you bust every year doesn't guarantee you a thing. There are countless examples. We have a young core and are still compe ive. Not to mention he's [arguably] the GOAT. Spoiled fans blame an unwinnable situation on Pop and front office, get a few non championship-competing seasons, and go ape . Rebuild? What do you think Spurs are doing? I think you mean dismantle and potentially end up no where. There is more than one way to rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky hammon time

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people still thinks that Kawhi was going to stay? Him leaving had nothing to do with Pop, he wanted to go to LA and he is there. Anything else, injury mismanagement, is just an excuse. Some people need to realize that SA is not an attractive city and it is a small market

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since we're in for:

such a letdown when Pop retires

1. Should the new coach be expected to be better then Pops 1st year? A .266 win %. 17-47.

2. Will the new coach get a Tim Duncan equivilent in the draft in between his 1st and 2nd season?
    1. easily
    2. yes if they want to tank, lets say timmy would be a new coach, hes much younger than pop and he could sacrafice 1-2seasons to get top picks, make sime trades and build a championship roster.

lol rebuild? Look around the league. Just because you bust every year doesn't guarantee you a thing. There are countless examples. We have a young core and are still compe ive. Not to mention he's [arguably] the GOAT. Spoiled fans blame an unwinnable situation on Pop and front office, get a few non championship-competing seasons, and go ape . Rebuild? What do you think Spurs are doing? I think you mean dismantle and potentially end up no where. There is more than one way to rebuild.
    imo being competetive is havin a real chances to get at least conference finals not 7-8 seed. There are two ways to rebuild: 1) trading best aasets for younger prospect or draft picks ( spurs failed), 2) drafting top players (spurs drafted some decent players, but thats not enough). How the spurs dynasty was build?? By DRAFTING robinson and duncan. Than they add some potential players as tp and manu. Without timmy and robinson, top 1 picks, u could forget about having a dynasty or even a championship.

AND if u wanna see a smart and rebuild-oriented moves take a look at pelicans or even a bulls or mavericks

Some people still thinks that Kawhi was going to stay? Him leaving had nothing to do with Pop, he wanted to go to LA and he is there. Anything else, injury mismanagement, is just an excuse. Some people need to realize that SA is not an attractive city and it is a small market
    imo pop had some impact on kawhis leaving. There had to be a bad relationship between them before all the drama. Kawhi said he wanted to play only in LA. This info just ruined a spurs leverage. Thats not what u do to man/organization u respect and have good relationship with.
    I know that sa isnt an attractive city and there is a serious problem with small market but as long as u are a contender it really doesnt matter. There are still a superstars that want to win a ring. Now spurs arent a contender and do nothing to be in mear future so im not suprised that nobody wants to play here.
    Last edited by spurspl; 08-20-2019 at 06:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't ownership enable an another great coach?

Injuries happen, forced a game 7 against Denver...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right? Philly was in the lottery for FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS, and still has no chip to show for it. No Finals. Picking high in the lottery, they’ve missed as much as they’ve hit.

Boston had a ton of high picks from their Nets haul. No chip. No Finals.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right? Philly was in the lottery for FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS, and still has no chip to show for it. No Finals. Picking high in the lottery, they’ve missed as much as they’ve hit.

Boston had a ton of high picks from their Nets haul. No chip. No Finals.
    And who is better now? Who has better roster and has more chances to be in the finals? Spurs or Philly/Boston?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely incredible thread idea. Will share it's unparalleled originality with family, friends and all strangers I pass on the street today.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely incredible thread idea. Will share it's unparalleled originality with family, friends and all strangers I pass on the street today.
    i just wanna know spurs fans opinion bout Pop. And its not so stupid thread bc over 26% voted yes. I was prepared for the comments like yours bc i expected that most of u are in love with pop. But dont u think that spurs made sime bad moves last years and pop isnt that guy like he was in his prime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think spurspl should retire.

Thread Information