College
    UCLA Bruins
    Damn I didn’t recognize Jessica Henwick

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    the fact that the other two were so makes me believe the story that they stole the story from somebody.
    They stole the story from The Invisibles by Grant Morrison.

My question is whether the sequels sucked because the Wachowski Bros were sissy hyno'd or because they ran out of material to steal? Both?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    there is only one matrix movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    there is only one matrix movie.
    And we're living in it!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did Fishburne not want to come back for this one so they had to settle for a lite?

Pretty long trailer, tbh. Hope they didn't give everything away.
    It puts a small dent in the nostalgic vibe but not much. Neo is the star.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If movies were descriptions for people, Matrix is right up there with Fast and Furious camp for males who wore Tap Out and Affliction shirts. The types that have hard times coping with middle age but get wet when 90s and 00s numetal bands reunite.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    1st one was cool... Those trannies suck at sequels though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the fact that the other two were so makes me believe the story that they stole the story from somebody.
    A bit like the spot in Dusk to Dawn where Tarantino stopped and Rodriguez took over?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They stole the story from The Invisibles by Grant Morrison.

My question is whether the sequels sucked because the Wachowski Bros were sissy hyno'd or because they ran out of material to steal? Both?
    The 1st one was a breakthrough in filming, editing, costume design, CGI and score. The acting was average at best. Elements of the film can be found in earlier films. The movie still serves as the benchmark for ground breaking cinematography. However once the cat was out of the bag and the shroud was removed, the story itself became tedious with a predictable ending for anyone who's familiar with the Christian belief system. You can only go back to that camera trick well so many times. You can only have the Dragonball Z fight so many times. Eventually we aren't impressed by agents flying across the room or taking over the bodies of people, especially in such a cardboard world they were in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Clear cash grab, but maybe it won't suck.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Don't hold your breath with trannies at the helm. It's going to be loaded with SJW bull
    Eyup.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Watched the original Matrix for the first time in a long time last night and it doesn't hold up.

It's style over substance, and the problem with that is that style gets dated. The story, dialogue, and acting are all pretty bad at best, laughably bad at worst.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Several times I laughed out loud during my rewatch last night:

- The industrial/goth rave with a bunch of super serious, dangerous looking people dancing to Rob Zombie's "Dragula"
    - Whatever the Keanu is doing before each of his martial arts fights
    - "Tank, Dozer, Mouse, Switch, Cypher, Apoc"
    - "Not like this"
    - Trinity, a badass independent fighting chick and a leader within the group, falls in love with Neo after knowing him for like a week (maybe more, depending on how long he was in a coma) and this is the big reveal at the film's climax.
    - Rage Against the Machine leads into the end credits. Could they be more on-the-nose?
    - Thinking about the fact that there are still men in their 40's and 50's who think this is a great movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Several times I laughed out loud during my rewatch last night:

- The industrial/goth rave with a bunch of super serious, dangerous looking people dancing to Rob Zombie's "Dragula"
    - Whatever the Keanu is doing before each of his martial arts fights
    - "Tank, Dozer, Mouse, Switch, Cypher, Apoc"
    - "Not like this"
    - Trinity, a badass independent fighting chick and a leader within the group, falls in love with Neo after knowing him for like a week (maybe more, depending on how long he was in a coma) and this is the big reveal at the film's climax.
    - Rage Against the Machine leads into the end credits. Could they be more on-the-nose?
    - Thinking about the fact that there are still men in their 40's and 50's who think this is a great movie.
    I think a lot of what DMC said is pretty accurate. The first movie was a big deal at the time of its release. The camera work, special effects, and story really set the bar. The fact that it doesn't really hold up is beside the point.

That said, I'll watch Matrix 4 on HBO, but wouldn't spend a dime otherwise to see it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I think a lot of what DMC said is pretty accurate. The first movie was a big deal at the time of its release. The camera work, special effects, and story really set the bar. The fact that it doesn't really hold up is beside the point.

That said, I'll watch Matrix 4 on HBO, but wouldn't spend a dime otherwise to see it.
    Sure and it's fine to appreciate it on a purely technical level, but that goes back to my point that style and special effects don't tend to hold up over time. It was certainly innovative, though it probably lead to more bad stylistic choices in future films than good ones.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sure and it's fine to appreciate it on a purely technical level, but that goes back to my point that style and special effects don't tend to hold up over time. It was certainly innovative, though it probably lead to more bad stylistic choices in future films than good ones.
    I agree with this. This is why you can watch a movie like Meet Joe Black and it still holds up in any era. No special effects just fantastic acting and a great script.

I don't feel like movies like The Matrix are meant to hold up long-term. Like the original Star Wars and other Sci-Fi movies, they are breaking new ground and it's difficult to go back and watch them and expect to feel the same way when the majority of that feeling is caused by the new ground not by the storyline or the acting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh absolutely... especially all of the gratuitous slow-mo shots and wire work other movies would try to emulate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Watched 2 and 3 last night and I'm ready to say Reloaded holds up better than the original. The acting is better, the dialogue is an improvement, the side characters are better established and more interesting, the concept is dense enough to invite and reward rewatches. The car chase is the best action scene in the whole series. Still some dumb parts but I appreciate that it evolved into more of a sci-fi thing than an allegory for white male 20-something angst and paranoia.

Revolutions has too much filler and relies too much on CGI battle scenes. Still my interest is a little more piqued for 4 now.

Alleged Wisconsinite
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Watched 2 and 3 last night and I'm ready to say Reloaded holds up better than the original. The acting is better, the dialogue is an improvement, the side characters are better established and more interesting, the concept is dense enough to invite and reward rewatches. The car chase is the best action scene in the whole series. Still some dumb parts but I appreciate that it evolved into more of a sci-fi thing than an allegory for white male 20-something angst and paranoia.

Revolutions has too much filler and relies too much on CGI battle scenes. Still my interest is a little more piqued for 4 now.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why couldn't this be a great movie? People hold Star Wars on a pedestal despite exactly what DMC said. Acting is wonky, story is mediocre and special effects are .

The important takeaway from these type of movies is that they are transcendent and laid the ground for new movies and concept to be use in the current time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Why couldn't this be a great movie? People hold Star Wars on a pedestal despite exactly what DMC said. Acting is wonky, story is mediocre and special effects are .

The important takeaway from these type of movies is that they are transcendent and laid the ground for new movies and concept to be use in the current time.
    I don't know that I have a good answer for that. For one thing, I also think 40/50 year olds who obsess over Star Wars are kind of sad, but I also see the first movie as a launching point to a more interesting universe and story.

I don't know that even among Star Wars fans there's a lot of people who would call it a "great movie" but I can see how its story holds up for people over time. It's a simple space odyssey with an underdog and good-vs-evil themes. The bad CGI still serves the story and doesn't seem arbitrarily inserted to make you go "Wow, cool effects!" You might outgrow the acting and the writing and the FX, but you might not outgrow the story and caring about the characters.

The Matrix touches on some interesting themes like AI and existence itself, but it's overwhelmed by this constant "people are sheeple" theme driving its entire story which is hard to relate to when you're no longer in your early 20's. The CGI and martial arts scenes serve themselves and not really the story, so the more dated they get, the more they feel like a waste of time. (For the record I think the CGI still holds up for the most part, it's more the slow-mo / cinematography choices that I find dated). And character-wise, they're just so poorly written, it's hard to relate or care.

I also wouldn't underestimate something as simple as having a timeless John Williams score vs. dated Chemical Brothers electronica.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    If we're honest with ourselves, we love Star Wars because we grew up with it. We saw it at an age where we weren't concerned with the bad acting and clunky dialogue. We were awed by the vastness of space and the aliens and the big ass Death Star and the Force. We pass it on to our kids when they're a similar age with similar expectations for movies. Did people who saw Star Wars for the first time when they were 20 have the same nostalgia for it? Not in my experience.

Meanwhile we saw The Matrix in our teens and twenties and it appealed to us then based on that stage of our lives and what other movies looked like at the time.

The Matrix is Tron.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If we're honest with ourselves, we love Star Wars because we grew up with it. We saw it at an age where we weren't concerned with the bad acting and clunky dialogue. We were awed by the vastness of space and the aliens and the big ass Death Star and the Force. We pass it on to our kids when they're a similar age with similar expectations for movies. Did people who saw Star Wars for the first time when they were 20 have the same nostalgia for it? Not in my experience.
    SW sucks and always has...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Never cared for Star Wars. I get the fandom aspect but it seems forced. And may that forced be with you.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I agree with all this. As a side note, Raid 2 still has the best car chase seen I have ever seen.

Thread Information