Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A TOP FINANCIER OF TRUMP AND MCCONNELL IS A DRIVING FORCE BEHIND AMAZON DEFORESTATION

TWO BRAZILIAN FIRMS owned by a top donor to President Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell are significantly responsible for the ongoing destruction of the Amazon rainforest, carnage that has developed into raging fires that have captivated global attention.

The companies have wrested control of land, deforested it, and helped build a controversial highway to their new terminal in the one-time jungle, all to facilitate the cultivation and export of grain and soybeans.

The Amazon terminal is run by Hidrovias do Brasil, a company that is owned in large part by
    Blackstone, a major U.S. investment firm.

Another Blackstone company, Pátria Investimentos, owns more than 50 percent of Hidrovias, while Blackstone itself directly owns an additional roughly 10 percent stake.

Blackstone co-founder and CEO Stephen Schwarzman is a close ally of Trump and has donated millions of dollars to McConnell in recent years.

“Blackstone is committed to responsible environmental stewardship,” the company said in a statement.

Developing the roadway itself causes deforestation, but, more importantly, it helps make possible the broader transformation of the Amazon from jungle to farmland.

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/27/amazon-rainforest-fire-blackstone/

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How To Stop The Amazon From Burning

Glenn Greenwald on the Leaked Brazil Archive Exposing Operation Car Wash
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 08-29-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brazil, the Amazon, and Global Warming

rich countries, most importantly the United States,

have been spewing huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere for well over a century,

while destroying the native forests on their lands.

They also have paid to have forests in other countries destroyed in order to meet their resource needs.

The blame Brazil story is one where

a group of rich boys are sitting around in their mansion eating a huge plate of cookies.

Meanwhile, they send the housekeeper from room to make the beds and clean up.

After the housekeeper finishes,

she sees the last cookie on the plate and begins to reach for it.

The rich boys then all yell at her for being greedy for wanting to take the last cookie.

The rich countries lack of concern for the environment made it cheaper for them to develop.

Now poorer countries, who are struggling to develop, are being told that they need to respect the environment for the good of the planet.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/08/29/brazil-the-amazon-and-global-warming/https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/08/29/brazil-the-amazon-and-global-warming/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jair Bolsonaro takes on the Indigenous Munduruku of the Amazon

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ethanol fuels large-scale expansion of Brazil's farming land

A University of Queensland-led study has revealed that future demand for ethanol biofuel could potentially expand sugarcane farming land in Brazil by five million hectares by 2030.

UQ School of Earth and Environmental Sciences researcher Milton Aurelio Uba de Andrade Junior said that because Brazil produced ethanol from sugarcane, future biofuel demand would directly impact land use.

"Our study has modeled scenarios forecasting future ethanol demand based on different trajectories for gross domestic product, population growth, fuel prices, blending policies, fleet composition and efficiency gains," he said.

"A high demand scenario fueled by strong economic and population growth, soaring gasoline prices, and ambitious blending targets, could mean that current demand for ethanol in Brazil will be doubled by 2030.

"If this scenario occurs,

then Brazil will need an additional five million hectares of land

for sugarcane crops to meet this high demand."

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-ethano...on-brazil.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As The Amazon Burns, Brazil’s Best Ally In Climate Denial Is The United States

Presidents Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro have forged a nationalist alliance based on the idea that climate change is a hoax.

Bolsonaro’s flip response to the fires, and his government’s

continued insistence that neither the Amazon nor the world face an existential climate threat, have made him a pariah on the international stage.

But when he delivers a speech Tuesday that will likely

continue to paint international concern over the Amazon as a global conspiracy rooted in manufactured fears over a worsening climate,

Bolsonaro will be able to count on at least one major ally: the United States.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-bolsonaro-amazon-fires-climate-change-united-nations_n_5d80eaa7e4b077dcbd64bd42?ncid=newsltushp mgnews__TheMorningEmail__092319

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The leaves are falling off trees already but the weather cooling down is taking forever tbh..

This year might be the longest I've seen that it takes for this ing heat to go away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glenn Greenwald Hit Live On Brazilian Show

Thread Information