Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thoroughly familiar with the area/situation. Is demolishing the dams an option? Or are they there also for flood control?
    No these are just little damns identical to this one that failed

If you read the links it is very clear. Landowners don't want to to see a loss on their investment and want the GBRA to take the risk that a 3rd damn won't fail. Like I said to CC, easy position to take when you have zero liability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another way to look at it is the GBRA is just doing their part to provide more affordable housing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No these are just little damns identical to this one that failed

If you read the links it is very clear. Landowners don't want to to see a loss on their investment and want the GBRA to take the risk that a 3rd damn won't fail. Like I said to CC, easy position to take when you have zero liability.
    The counties were going to make it illegal to breach the flush zones. There is no liability to GBRA if someone gets hurt breaking the law.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Who maintained the dams before the GBRA took over in the 60s?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who maintained the dams before the GBRA took over in the 60s?
    A private electric generation company. Dont remember the name.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless of the outcome, at least it's not a truly corrupt utility like PG+E.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The counties were going to make it illegal to breach the flush zones. There is no liability to GBRA if someone gets hurt breaking the law.
    That wouldn't protect them. The cat is out of the bag, the damns are unsafe.

It is illegal to trespass on your property but that doesn't absolve you of liability if some kid comes onto your property and gets hurt.

Seems to me the op-ed I linked got it exactly right. The fastest way to a resolution is for GBRA to drain the lakes and then figure out a way to rebuild.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the dams in bad condition due to lack of maintenance, or just 50+ years of deterioration, like lots of stuff USA built after WWII?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Are the dams in bad condition due to lack of maintenance, or just 50+ of deterioration, like lots of stuff USA built after WWII?
    They were built before WWII.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The design of the failed spillgate at Dunlap is no different from that for dams at other lakes in the area: Gonzales, Meadow, Placid and McQueeney. These dams date back to the 1920s and early ’30s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That wouldn't protect them. The cat is out of the bag, the damns are unsafe.

It is illegal to trespass on your property but that doesn't absolve you of liability if some kid comes onto your property and gets hurt.

Seems to me the op-ed I linked got it exactly right. The fastest way to a resolution is for GBRA to drain the lakes and then figure out a way to rebuild.
    Bull . A gate failure would be a 5' rise right below the dam that would rapidly spread out. This is a flood zone anyway. A gate break would mean a 10,000 cm flow. Floods have been as much as 200,000 cm. The danger is almost insignificant. You claim that people illegally breaching the flush zone could still litigate. That's bull . It's the same as someone driving around a high water barricade and getting washed away. Darwin at work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cfm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the dams in bad condition due to lack of maintenance, or just 50+ years of deterioration, like lots of stuff USA built after WWII?
    The dams were built as hydroelectric dams. GBRA made tons of money off of them before energy deregulation in texas without ever putting anything back to repair/replace the dams.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The dams were built as hydroelectric dams. GBRA made tons of money off of them before energy deregulation in texas without ever putting anything back to repair/replace the dams.
    smart business

ignore the broken heart club

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    not these days

anyone with a conscience is a pussy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with a company making profit? Seems a weird position for you as a conservative. Although you do have a history of changing your tune when you stand to gain or lose. And you brag a lot about what great real estate investments you make.

Are you about to take it up the ass on some lakefront property?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GBRA just proposed a settlement agreement to stop the drain and close the lakes temporarily while experts do inspections. Judge gave attorneys time to discuss the offer. The court will recess until 1 p.m.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with a company making profit? Seems a weird position for you as a conservative. Although you do have a history of changing your tune when you stand to gain or lose. And you brag a lot about what great real estate investments you make.

Gotta let the almighty powerful "free market" and "profit-driven" companies do their thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL The don't want to put Paterson on the stand and admit they have been planning this for years...

Seguin) -- It looks as though an agreement for a temporary injunction MIGHT be the outcome during today's hearing regarding the draining of the lakes. However, a temporary injunction is just that, "temporary" and would mean a future trial date between all parties. Over the weekend, GBRA's Attorney Lamont Jefferson initiated a settlement discussion for the pair of plaintiffs opposing the draining of the area hydro electric lakes. A list of bullet points regarding its settlement was provided to each of the attorney's seeking a temporary injunction and/or temporary restraining order against the river authority.

Jefferson says the GBRA agreed to the temporary injunction order which would not lower spillgates. But in exchange is asking to keep folks off the lake until reports from the experts regarding the safety are received. He says the receipt of those reports would then help it determine what parts if any could be open to activity. Jefferson did state that he felt that the plaintiff's seemed receptive in ordering the temporary injunction order but were not in agreement with each other on the plan and wanted to see if a settlement could be reached.

Attorney Ricardo Cedillo, who is representing 10 residents from Lake McQueeney and Lake Placid, says while they do see this as a good faith effort on behalf of GBRA, he wanted to make clear that he and the other Attorney Douglas Sutter, who is representing 295 plaintiffs, are 95 percent in total agreement and not so separate as Jefferson might think.

But he states that "the devil is in the details" and hopes to bridge that five percent gap when they return to the courtroom this afternoon.

As for Sutter, he says he is "cautiously optimistic" and is very concerned about putting this off and again reminded the court that if they agree to this temporary injunction, they, of course, will still have to go to trial.
    Both Cedillo and Sutter also felt that it was unfortunate that all good faith efforts to reach a settlement prior to last week were not seriously considered by GBRA. Cedillo says his clients would rather have spent their money on finding a solution than on the cost of lawyers.

The attorneys also believed that they did not have sufficient time to go over the details of the settlement in time for today's 10 a.m. hearing. The pair of attorneys are now meeting privately with GBRA and with each other to see if they can iron out the fine details of what GBRA is proposing so that they are able to move forward with the Temporary Injunction. Today's hearing will resume at 1 pm at the Guadalupe County Justice Center.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not these days

anyone with a conscience is a pussy.
    yep, morals, ethics, fair play, honesty, trust, good faith, all dead in the church of toxic, inhumane, predatory, dog-eat-dog world-view (religion) of Capitalism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may sound like boutons but this is pure government protected corporate greed destroying the lake ecosystems and the lives of thousands who have built their lives around the lakes. GBRA made bank for 50 years on the hydroelectric dams without putting back a dime to replace the dams and with energy deregulation they now say oops...we are losing money on hydroelectric now so we are just going to drain the lakes so they dont have to take care of the dams. They are claiming "safety" which is total bull because the city/counties have already said they would ban entry above and below the Dams and provide law enforcement to make sure any "danger" areas weren't entered and LCRA said nope...we are draining the lakes starting on September 15. What bull .
    Soo.... all the rich people with houses on the "lake" now lose out, so that I can have cheaper electricity?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soo.... all the rich people with houses on the "lake" now lose out, so that I can have cheaper electricity?

It's got nothing to do with cheaper electricity. GBRA wants to abandon the hydroelectric dams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's got nothing to do with cheaper electricity. GBRA wants to abandon the hydroelectric dams.
    ... because it is cheaper than maintaining/fixing them, given the news releases.

Hardly surprising.

Given the choice between spending a ton of money on this stuff, and building newer cheaper wind capacity. Wonder what the LCE is on that choice.

Thread Information