Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. We will get the dams repaired, GBRA will have to take some financial responsibility, and my house will ultimately be worth more because the dams are fixed. I would only lose if I tried to sell now, and I don't need to..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol no wonder your panties are in a twist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best course of action has been modeled by the property owners at Lake Dunlap who have taken steps to form a special taxing district to help cover the costs of rebuilding the dams and refilling the lakes. Such districts would still need assistance from GBRA and, most likely, the state. But a taxing district is the first step toward restoration.

Could dewatering be avoided? We don’t see how. Maintaining the status quo is untenable. GBRA has tried all sorts of tricks to keep people away from these dams — warning signs, buoys marked “Keep out,” loudspeakers alerting the public to leave immediately — but to no avail. We can’t ignore those videos of people kayaking and boating to the edge of Nolte Dam on Meadow Lake. Officials have said they have recorded 40 incidents in which people have ignored warnings and ventured near these dams.

Litigation is almost certain, but to what end? The dams are still old and in need of repair. Doing nothing is not an option. We strongly encourage property owners to work with GBRA about next steps rather than fight the agency for making safety paramount.
    Two dams have already failed.

Eyup. If the people there want to keep their expensive homes... pay the ing taxes to keep the dams. The economics are fairly clear for the utility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol no wonder your panties are in a twist.

Magic 8 ball called it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. We will get the dams repaired, GBRA will have to take some financial responsibility, and my house will ultimately be worth more because the dams are fixed. I would only lose if I tried to sell now, and I don't need to..
    So your free ride at everyone else's expense is over. You can afford it though, so not a tragedy by anyone's definition.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's the property tax rate along the Guadalupe riverfront?

I remember after a bad flood along there few years ago, the house owners, probably many of whom are wealthy govt-hating Repugs, wanted the govt to pay to lift their buildings onto stilts

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why don't one of you guys just buy the dams? Private ownership and all that. Surely you can do better than any gubmit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't one of you guys just buy the dams? Private ownership and all that. Surely you can do better than any gubmit.
    That's what I was saying

If the damn is beyond repair it seems like the homeowners could band together and buy it off of GBRA really cheap. Then through the proper application of free market principles they could rebuild the damns in a cost effective manner and ultimately turn a profit.

I think the problem is, in reality, it would be the city or county who takes over the damns. Then the private lakes won't be private anymore and they don't want a bunch of mexicans showing up every weekend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't expect any sympathy from you tools but GBRA is a ing disgrace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I was saying

I think the problem is, in reality, it would be the city or county who takes over the damns. Then the private lakes won't be private anymore and they don't want a bunch of mexicans showing up every weekend.
    They aren't private lakes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's what I was saying

GBRA is a state en y, but yeah -- all this gubmit writhing to maintain vacation home values is not the noblest of civic endeavors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically that's what we are doing. Putting together a WCID of lakefront owners to create a taxing district to back a bond issue to repair the dams. A judge will eventually decide how much GBRA's financial obligation will be. They made loads of money off the dams for 50 years without ever putting anything back to repair/replace the dams and their state charter specifically obligated them to maintain the dams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been there since I was a kid but Lake Mcqueeney doesn't (or didn't) have any public access iirc.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Great. Where's the public park or free boat ramp on Lake McQueeney? I'd love to enjoy that beautiful lake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great. Where's the public park or free boat ramp on Lake McQueeney? I'd love to enjoy that beautiful lake.
    There are two public boat ramps where you can pay to launch. One at the ski lodge and one at the marina. Don't be such a tightwad, chumpy. GBRA owns the lakes. If you want a free ramp at them. They could have put one in anytime they wanted to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been there since I was a kid but Lake Mcqueeney doesn't (or didn't) have any public access iirc.
    You guys are confusing public access with free access. State Parks are public but you still have to pay a fee to use them.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There are two public boat ramps where you can pay to launch. One at the ski lodge and one at the marina. Don't be such a tightwad, chumpy. GBRA owns the lakes. If you want a free ramp at them. They could have put one in anytime they wanted to.
    So no park?

OK. At least you can keep the Mexicans out that way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't expect any sympathy from you tools but GBRA is a ing disgrace.
    Well I sympathize but I don't have sympathy. I mean it's an investment and you took your risk. I took a decent position in Chesapeake Energy 2 months ago thinking it was bottomed. Totally ed that up and was down a lot. It's not like I got to run to the gov't saying help me. Luckily Iran just came to my rescue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So no park?

OK. At least you can keep the Mexicans out that way.
    There used to be several private parks...Hot Shots, etc. They sold out after the last big flood instead of rebuilding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I sympathize but I don't have sympathy. I mean it's an investment and you took your risk. I took a decent position in Chesapeake Energy 2 months ago thinking it was bottomed. Totally ed that up and was down a lot. It's not like I got to run to the gov't saying help me. Luckily Iran just came to my rescue.
    Meh...I don't expect sympathy in here. I only lose if I sell now which I don't have to.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There used to be several private parks...Hot Shots, etc. They sold out after the last big flood instead of rebuilding.
    Not enough gubmit aid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And who said anything about running to the gubmint to help? It is in GBRA's charter to maintain the dams. Now they would rather sell the water from Canyon Lake than operate the dams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And who said anything about running to the gubmint to help? It is in GBRA's charter to maintain the dams. Now they would rather sell the water from Canyon Lake than operate the dams.
    But they are their damns. If they don't have value anymore and they want to get rid of them that's their right.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Looks like it's in their charter to choose not to fix the dams.

And the fed gubmit maintains Canyon Lake Dam so that all makes sense. Pass det buck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So property values in the billions and GBRA says $160M to replace all the damns. Seems like the math should work for property owners to rebuild after GBRA walks away.

Thread Information