Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may sound like boutons but this is pure government protected corporate greed destroying the lake ecosystems and the lives of thousands who have built their lives around the lakes. GBRA made bank for 50 years on the hydroelectric dams without putting back a dime to replace the dams and with energy deregulation they now say oops...we are losing money on hydroelectric now so we are just going to drain the lakes so they dont have to take care of the dams. They are claiming "safety" which is total bull because the city/counties have already said they would ban entry above and below the Dams and provide law enforcement to make sure any "danger" areas weren't entered and LCRA said nope...we are draining the lakes starting on September 15. What bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may sound like boutons but this is pure government protected corporate greed destroying the lake ecosystems and the lives of thousands who have built their lives around the lakes. GBRA made bank for 50 years on the hydroelectric dams without putting back a dime to replace the dams and with energy deregulation they now say oops...we are losing money on hydroelectric now so we are just going to drain the lakes so they dont have to take care of the dams. They are claiming "safety" which is total bull because the city/counties have already said they would ban entry above and below the Dams and provide law enforcement to make sure any "danger" areas weren't entered and LCRA said nope...we are draining the lakes starting on September 15. What bull .
    it's lame... a family friend just built a house out there on the lake not even 3 yrs ago and it's at like 2ft right now. i'd be so pissed and super pissed that my house/land value just plummeted seeing how it's no longer lakeside view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus the lake associations have already said they would work with the GBRA to create taxing districts of only lakefront owners to ing pay for rebuilding the dams GBRA neglected if just given time to do it and GBRA all over them and said nope...we are abandoning the dams and draining the lakes in two weeks..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Shouldn't have been given that power in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas did it back in the 30s for hydroelectric generation. Now all the money is in selling water/sewer service for them so they want out of the hydroelectric dam business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a billion dollars of lakefront real estate on the three main lakes that is about to take at least a 50% hit hurting the schools especially, not counting all the business sales tax lost because they destroyed these gorgeous lakes.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a billion dollars of lakefront real estate on the three main lakes that is about to take at least a 50% hit hurting the schools especially, not counting all the business sales tax lost because they destroyed these gorgeous lakes.
    Thanks orange stain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks orange stain.
    Drag them knuckles some more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks orange stain.
    Vicente Gonzalez A Democrat is the US Rep...

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buying a house next to almost any body of water is a risk.
    o Florida.

Flint Michigan cutting costs to get water from a polluted river. (Obama president, his fault)
    Kinda pales in comparison.
    Big companies will now have more leeway to dump where they want.
    Thank you orange man.

So raise your hand if your second home lost its nice view.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would we be without your two-cent chime-in that everyone knows?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    News to me. Is this story accurate
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...n-14102897.php

Sounds like GBRA just wants to inspect and repair if possible but if beyond repair they don't have the money to rebuild. Homeowners position seems to be if you don't inspect then it ain't broke so don't inspect.

If the damn is beyond repair it seems like the homeowners could band together and buy it off of GBRA really cheap. Then through the proper application of free market principles they could rebuild the damns in a cost effective manner and ultimately turn a profit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GBRA is right to drain lakes
    https://www.expressnews.com/opinion/...php?source=nlp

Sounds about right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This reminds me of much of our tax dollars are wasted on three garbage men riding in trucks when they only need one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all should really look into water rights and which company owns which water source around SA. It’s scary to think that if hits the fan with Edwards Aquifer, we would all be ed bc of all the red tape that would come along with 6 different companies fighting amongst each other. The entire water system in general is corrupt and nobody really cares for some reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    News to me. Is this story accurate
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...n-14102897.php

Sounds like GBRA just wants to inspect and repair if possible but if beyond repair they don't have the money to rebuild. Homeowners position seems to be if you don't inspect then it ain't broke so don't inspect.

If the damn is beyond repair it seems like the homeowners could band together and buy it off of GBRA really cheap. Then through the proper application of free market principles they could rebuild the damns in a cost effective manner and ultimately turn a profit.
    GBRA doesnt want to do anything except drain the lakes. They want out of the hydroelectric business. Lakefront homeowners have volunteered to come up with the money to fix the dams by agreeing to tax themselves So bonds can be sold to finance the repairs but GBRA just wants to kill the lakes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GBRA doesnt want to do anything except drain the lakes. They want out of the hydroelectric business. Lakefront homeowners have volunteered to come up with the money to fix the dams by agreeing to tax themselves So bonds can be sold to finance the repairs but GBRA just wants to kill the lakes.
    Well the lakes have to be drained either way so I don't see what the problem is. Homeowners/local govt can work out a solution afterwards to take over and rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the lakes have to be drained either way so I don't see what the problem is. Homeowners/local govt can work out a solution afterwards to take over and rebuild.
    Understand that creating the taxing districts will take a year. Design/bid could take a couple more. Everyone understands the lakes may need to be lowered for construction but the lakes shouldn't be lowered before t hff at. Thousands of 100 year old cypress trees will die if the lake is drained for 5+ years and all the businesses that have grown up around the lakes will be crushed.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well, looks like we're lucky only two dinky dams have failed so far. I'd need to know more about the inspection plan before outright condemning it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, looks like we're lucky only two dinky dams have failed so far. I'd need to know more about the inspection plan before outright condemning it.
    The lake associations are ok with taking GBRAs word that the flood fates need to be replaced and are willing to fund it. They just dont want to drain the lakes until it's time to repair them. So far one flood gate on two different dams have failed with zero loss of life or property. GBRA is using "safety" as their excuse to drain the lakes but the city/counties involved have offered to ban all boating/swimming above and below the dams in the "danger zone" and provide the law enforcement to execute the closure and GBRA blew them off and said they were still going to drain the lakes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The lake associations are ok with taking GBRAs word that the flood fates need to be replaced and are willing to fund it. They just dont want to drain the lakes until it's time to repair them. So far one flood gate on two different dams have failed with zero loss of life or property. GBRA is using "safety" as their excuse to drain the lakes but the city/counties involved have offered to ban all boating/swimming above and below the dams in the "danger zone" and provide the law enforcement to execute the closure and GBRA blew them off and said they were still going to drain the lakes.
    banning activities in the "danger zone" doesn't inspect them.

One has nothing to do with the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thoroughly familiar with the area/situation. Is demolishing the dams an option? Or are they there also for flood control?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thoroughly familiar with the area/situation. Is demolishing the dams an option? Or are they there also for flood control?
    Pretty sure that dams provide little flood control.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understand that creating the taxing districts will take a year. Design/bid could take a couple more. Everyone understands the lakes may need to be lowered for construction but the lakes shouldn't be lowered before t hff at. Thousands of 100 year old cypress trees will die if the lake is drained for 5+ years and all the businesses that have grown up around the lakes will be crushed.
    Landowners can foot the bill for watering the trees if they care that much. I get it, the property owners don't want to experience any loss on their investment so they are cool with taking the risk that more damns won't fail, easy position since they have zero liability.

Thread Information