Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    who has read or listened to the audiobook?

it's the first audiobook i've bothered to listen to. i solely listen to it while traveling or grocery shopping. i don't set time aside to listen to it or else i might as well just read the book.

anyways, it's great. on chapter 24 or so. i know the more i listen to it the more i'll hate the last few seasons of the show

anyone think grr might die before he finishes the books? he'll be 71 this later month.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    before i started the audiobook i was curious about how the book ends vs the show... but if i keep up with the rest of the audiobooks then i'll be a lot more invested.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have the audiobooks but just cant seem to start it. I think it's the massive amount of hours that's scaring me.

The first one is something like 35 hours. Just cant imagine finding the time for all books.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I have the audiobooks but just cant seem to start it. I think it's the massive amount of hours that's scaring me.

The first one is something like 35 hours. Just cant imagine finding the time for all books.
    Tranny has serious demands on his time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I stopped reading the books halfway through A Storm of Swords. Thank God I did, because it would have been a colossal waste of time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I read through A Storm of Swords a few years back. Haven't even attempted the last two books. I probably won't bother until I know for certain that the series is going to be completed. GRRM is much more invested in the HBO spinoffs than he is finishing the books.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I read through A Storm of Swords a few years back. Haven't even attempted the last two books. I probably won't bother until I know for certain that the series is going to be completed. GRRM is much more invested in the HBO spinoffs than he is finishing the books.
    My guess is he's going to finish it out but they will be trash because he's head is not in it anymore.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Srs question, Reck; the game of thrones audiobooks cost like 200 hundred bucks?

Why would you spend that kind of moola and not get to it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    i'm surprised how far i've gotten. but barely on chap 24.

i do not dedicate time to it, only listening to it when i'm don't have to concentrate on anything else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    do people stop reading / listening because the quality drops off?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    I read all of the books. They are all pretty fantastic tbh. AFFC gets a little slow, but still top notch.

and as you mentioned you are really going to hate the last 3 or 4 seasons after reading the books.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    My guess is he's going to finish it out but they will be trash because he's head is not in it anymore.
    Pretty sure fat ass will die before he finishes the books tbh. He has taken forever on WoW and still has another full book after it. He’s no spring chicken and as you mentioned his attention seems to be elsewhere these days

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Bran as King is gay as . Just ing stupid. GRRM doesn't want Jon and/or Dany to rule just to subvert expectations. Notice that nobody es about the ending of LOTR, because Tolkien was an expectation subverting .

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Bran as King is gay as . Just ing stupid. GRRM doesn't want Jon and/or Dany to rule just to subvert expectations. Notice that nobody es about the ending of LOTR, because Tolkien was an expectation subverting .
    that they switched Saruman's demise to the beginning of ROTK instead of making the entire ending after the ring got destroyed being a long ass happy epilogue?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    that they switched Saruman's demise to the beginning of ROTK instead of making the entire ending after the ring got destroyed being a long ass happy epilogue?
    You think the trilogy had a happy ending? Maybe for Aragorn but the rest of them got messed up endings.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You think the trilogy had a happy ending? Maybe for Aragorn but the rest of them got messed up endings.
    In the book yes, not the movie. Although (in the book) it was a way for Tolkien to explain away the Sackville-Bagginses in the Shire.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    As someone who read the wheel of time while Jordan was alive. I ain't stressing that till it's finished. I don't trust Martin to not die before hand.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    For those that enjoyed ASOIF I would recommend Joe Abercrombie’s “First Law” trilogy. The characters in it are incredibly well done, it’s already finished, and honestly I think it’s better than ASOIF, not quite as epic I suppose, but a fantastic read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    on chapter 45.

i do wonder how much time martin is committing to finishing the books, he does seem pretty occupied with the other GoT series that are in the works...

last update i came across:
    In April 2019, Martin commented in an interview that the writing "has been going very well lately",[67] and in May he told his blog readers that if he did not have a copy of The Winds of Winter in hand for 2020 Worldcon New Zealand, Air New Zealand has his permission to imprison him on New Zealand's White Island until he finishes it,[68] which some media interpreted as a joke.[69]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Yea. Fatty isn’t finishing the WoW by 2020. Writing has been going well lately has been his line going on 6 years now tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not only that, he gets pissed when people ask why it's taking so long. "I have a right to do other things! "

Even if WoW is finished next year, it'll probably take him a decade or more to finish A Dream of Spring, if he lives that long.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    As someone who read the wheel of time while Jordan was alive. I ain't stressing that till it's finished. I don't trust Martin to not die before hand.
    I think Sanderson did a great job finishing it, probably better than Jordan could have. I had little interest in finishing it until I read some of Sanderson's stuff, which is pretty good.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think Sanderson did a great job finishing it, probably better than Jordan could have. I had little interest in finishing it until I read some of Sanderson's stuff, which is pretty good.
    apparently jordan wrote the epilogue before he died so we'll have no idea what the the ending meant there was some random old woman + rand's final power, sanderson doesn't even know

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    pretty neat piece of fan art i came across:

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    That book will probably never get finished lol.

Thread Information