Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count

Imagine giving this much money to a robotic game manager who can't do anything without McVay's instructions. He can't even call an audible unless McVay tells him which one to call first.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Eh not the best thing but I get it.

What I don't get is that ridiculous Gurley contract

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Eh not the best thing but I get it.

What I don't get is that ridiculous Gurley contract
    The Gurley contract is less ridiculous now

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i can see it. yeah, the system helps him a lot, and he gets coached up a lot, but you also have to imagine that he's absorbing it a la Brady. brady went from being a "system qb" to basically becoming the system.

Goff is very accurate, good not great arm, and good deep ball. makes more sense to set the market now than wait 2 years and set the market then

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I think the quarterback position is going to plateau very soon as far as new records being set for salary. The only 2 guys who are going to receive a big payday anytime soon are Watson and Mahomes. Everybody else has either already been paid or are too old to realistically demand that kind of money (Brees, Rivers, Brady). It will be interesting to see what Baker and Darnold will demand from their teams if they pan out like everybody thinks they will.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I think the quarterback position is going to plateau very soon as far as new records being set for salary. The only 2 guys who are going to receive a big payday anytime soon are Watson and Mahomes. Everybody else has either already been paid or are too old to realistically demand that kind of money (Brees, Rivers, Brady). It will be interesting to see what Baker and Darnold will demand from their teams if they pan out like everybody thinks they will.
    hopefully Prescott isn't on the list, unless it's from another team, for example one of those ty Florida teams.

I don't think Watson's performance justifies 30M+, but he'll likely get it because "the market" and Houston is a poorly run franchise.

Baker has the support system and talent around him to succeed. Also, Baker is better than Darnold. Darnold plays for a ty franchise with a ty offensive line and receivers, and has well below average arm strength. I don't think Darnold ever becomes an above average QB, though he's still a starter and will get overpaid.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    also, CN, what's your take on Wentz, and Wentz vs Goff?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    QB salaries will plateau when the salary cap plateaus

its not only high end QB's that set the market. matt stafford, joe flacco, kirk cousins, derek carr were all "highest paid qbs in NFL history" at one point.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I'd really like to see a team who tries just drafting QBs every couple of years and developing them before letting them walk rather than constantly keeping mediocre or just good guys. Like how many teams would seriously fall apart without their QBs? Some for sure, but not as many as there are ridiculous contracts. And that's with teams often not really putting in the resources into depth at that position. Teams only draft a bunch of young QBs if they aren't panning out, and of course then you have ty depth. And every time someone who already has a QB locked in drafts/develops a solid depth guy, they trade him off to a needy team and go back to having ty depth themselves. Sure, that's good business in a way, especially if you aren't planning on paying the depth guy. But there are a number of times where the young player with his cheap contract might be the better building block than the good-but-not-great starter who still makes like $30 Million-plus a year for some reason.

Playing QB has to be easier than ever nowadays, but it seems like there's a lack of dark-horse le-winning ones. Something about the way most teams are developing the position is broken right now. There should be enough supply to drive down demand, not have demand explode like this. Maybe teams just need to trust their developmental staffs a lot more.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    3rd best team in the division tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    3rd best team in the division tbh.
    yep. 0-2 in the division, but with the performance of the NFC North today (0-4 against the AFC West) looks like the NFC West will surely get 2 in, with a shot at 3 depending on how the Panthers do.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Is Goff even better than *backup* Mason Rudolph? We'll see on Sunday.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Goff had a terrible game, but the refs really ed them over.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Clipper Nation any words?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    At least Prescott had a good game, unlike Gawful with his zero TDs and 3 turnovers

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Pretty obvious at this point that Goff is trash. The league collectively needs to stop overpaying game managers. MLB teams finally learned how to be disciplined with their spending, how do NFL teams keep making the same mistakes over and over again?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Goff is reverting back to FisherGoff. The mystery that is Gurley II is showing that paying Jared was a monumental mistake. Oh well, the last two years were fun while it lasted.

Thread Information