Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not unusual. I was turned off by Christianity by the early OT chapters where God is commanding the Israelites to basically slaughter and pillage all of the other tribes.

Then less than 3000 years later he comes back as Jesus and is like, "Just kidding, love your enemies."

I love Jesus' teachings. The OT, and much of Paul's, not so much.
    That's how I was too. I like the story of Jesus and his teachings. But I've met pastors/preachers who get drunk all the time, cheat on their wives, steal, etc. Then I see all these Christian fundamentalists and Evangelicals who are the most self-righteous and judgmental assholes. My point is believing in God or being a Chrisitan DOES NOT make you a good person. A lot of people don't realize this and that's how they get brainwashed and controlled. According to the bible, preachers and pastors are supposed to be an extension of God. That is BS based on my experiences

Most of the atheists I've encountered are better human beings that the so called "Chrisitans." One doesn't need the fear of God and burning in to be a good person. Going against our free will does more harm than good IMO. Biggest proof is all the child molesters and rapists...most of them happen to be religious.

Religion does more harm than good tbh...

Religion Makes Kids Less Altruistic, More Mean

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not down for that type of homework assignment just for you.

I'll meet you half way tho. You pick a Christian denomination you might snag me on, and I'll post the text plus link.
    I believe the word you're looking for is "doctrine," not "denomination."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The poll breaks out Catholics and Protestants. You said "pretty much every denomination." If this were the case, those percentages would be higher than 35% and 21%, respectively.
    Protestants could mean non-denominational.

And are these people that are polled devout religious types or are they that middling type that just go to church on Easter and Christmas?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You pick a Christian denomination you might snag me on, and I'll post the text plus link.
    I already gave you a quote from the pope, leader of the largest Christian denomination by far. So let's stick with that one.

Ready, Set, Google Blake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The muslims sales pitch is clearly better. 70 virgin ho's vs. A ing harp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe the word you're looking for is "doctrine," not "denomination."
    So if someone says they are a member of said denomination but doesn't follow the doctrine, are they really a member of that denomination?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if someone says they are a member of said denomination but doesn't follow the doctrine, are they really a member of that denomination?
    If a scientist disagrees with a scientific theory, is he really a scientist.

People have their own minds and they don't all fit into your little boxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mommy and daddy told me that Jesus is real

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Protestants could mean non-denominational.

And are these people that are polled devout religious types or are they that middling type that just go to church on Easter and Christmas?
    It's everyone that identified as a Christian. "All Christians" = 30% believe in the literal word of God. There is no way that "pretty much every denomination" equates to 30%.

The vast majority of identifying Christians from the major denominations attend church once a month or more.
    https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...ious-services/

I'm not sure why you're clinging to your argument against this kind of empirical evidence. It's okay to be wrong. I was ready to contradict Snakeboy on his claim about Christians believing in , and then I looked it up and saw he was right about that too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of different standards and qualifications for membership. Ultimately, it's up to the church to decide. Given that the Bible is open to interpretation and given that, as we established, most Christians don't believe the Bible is to be taken literally, it shouldn't be surprising that most churches don't require literal and 100% adherence to Biblical doctrine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TGY is all kinds of triggered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of different standards and qualifications for membership. Ultimately, it's up to the church to decide. Given that the Bible is open to interpretation and given that, as we established, most Christians don't believe the Bible is to be taken literally, it shouldn't be surprising that most churches don't require literal and 100% adherence to Biblical doctrine.
    Sounds like they are just hedging their bets. " hey, I dont feel like following the instructions in the owners manual, but I'm gonna claim I believe just in case that afterlife is true..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TGY is all kinds of triggered
    Yeah I'm triggered by all the Jewish supremacists, muslim rapists and Christian Zionists running this world. We are ruled by psychos and sociopaths

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious to everyone. Really you didn't need to confirm but thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The muslims sales pitch is clearly better. 70 virgin ho's vs. A ing harp.
    Careful, they'll turn on you if you bring Islam into the conversation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they are just hedging their bets. " hey, I dont feel like following the instructions in the owners manual, but I'm gonna claim I believe just in case that afterlife is true..."
    The owners manual has a built-in failsafe. Fundamental to Christian belief is that we're all "sinners," so we need forgiveness.

For non-literal believers, this simply means we acknowledge our flaws and try to be better. There are obviously very widely varying degrees of adherence to this, as evidenced by how many truly ty people identify as Christians.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TGY if you don't ignore me and you acknowledge my existence then I have triggered you. I got your attention. I feel so accomplished

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already gave you a quote from the pope, leader of the largest Christian denomination by far. So let's stick with that one.

Ready, Set, Google Blake
    Here's a quote you left out from that same speech from 2018:

"In fact, Sacred Scripture is the Word of God in that it is written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

https://www.learnreligions.com/pope-...of-god-3970724

Lol "ready set Google" as if going with your preconceived anecdote is better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a quote you left out from that same speech from 2018:

"In fact, Sacred Scripture is the Word of God in that it is written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

Lol "ready set Google" as if going with your preconceived anecdote is better.
    That doesn't say what you think it says. Keep trying.

Let me help you though. You need to learn what the "Word of God" means or you'll keep making the same mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a scientist disagrees with a scientific theory, is he really a scientist.

People have their own minds and they don't all fit into your little boxes.
    Science allows for you to say "I'm not sure I could be wrong"

Religious dogma does not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't say what you think it says. Keep trying.

Let me help you though. You need to learn what the "Word of God" means or you'll keep making the same mistake.
    It means exactly what I think it does. "Sacred scripture is the word of God".

If you want to stop right there with the disagreement, fine with me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It means exactly what I think it does. "Sacred scripture is the word of God".

If you want to stop right there with the disagreement, fine with me.
    W

but I accept your surrender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm the only open Christian here
    Made blatantly obvious by how you deify a dead rapper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agnostic here. atheists.
    Agnostic means you're afraid to commit to your ideals. You're hedging hoping that whatever deity exist if one does will see you as being less of an aggressor but if the letter of the law is true then your balls are going to burn just like everyone else's you'll just be the coward who never got the full benefit of either side.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agnostic means you're afraid to commit to your ideals. You're hedging hoping that whatever deity exist if one does will see you as being less of an aggressor but if the letter of the law is true then your balls are going to burn just like everyone else's you'll just be the coward who never got the full benefit of either side.
    Atheists don't know if there isn't a God. They can't disprove it. To believe that there is not a God as a fact is ing moronic. The universe is never ending. Never ing ending. The probability of there being a god is higher than there isn't. That's just facts. So your fake pseudo knowledge.

Thread Information