Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know that Shaq was always impressed with Paul Pierce, famously bestowing his nickname “The Truth” on him back in 2001. What do you think would have happened if back when Shaq was in his prime, he and Pierce had been on the same team? How would that experience have impacted Pierce? Does Paul Pierce with Shaq become a more accomplished player than he is known as today?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Quick answer - Shaq stays longer in LA. That early 2000 Lakers core wins another le

For that early period (late 90s-early 2000s) you are trading Kobe's athleticism in exchange for Pierce's fundamentals and IQ. I don't think it is as good of a mix with Fisher/Fox whom are already kinda low in the athleticism department. But then do Lakers keep Eddie Jones?

Pierce probably doesn't develop into the alpha we saw with that KG/Allen team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan would just be another Garnett.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq wouldn't have rang in 2000 tbh. He would've requested a trade in 01 and who knows what happens after that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally agree with you that Kobe is the most over rated athlete of this century thus far, but that is just a blatantly re ed statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq may have been a freak of nature but you've got to give Kobe equal credit for the three les. Hakeem, Duncan, Malone and other bigs beat Shaq with fundamentals. Shaq had way too many flaws to be the GOAT or Top 5 as a matter of fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pos would ask for a trade... he hates younger players gettin the spotlight instead of him

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Paul Pierce sucks ass. Comparable ego to Kobe with a fraction of the talent tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pierce was nobody until Garnett took him by the hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq may have been a freak of nature but you've got to give Kobe equal credit for the three les. Hakeem, Duncan, Malone and other bigs beat Shaq with fundamentals. Shaq had way too many flaws to be the GOAT or Top 5 as a matter of fact.
    That's re ed as well. Kobe doesn't deserve equal credit for those three les, period. Daddy got all three of those Final MVPs because he was the reason they 3-peated. You can replace Kobe on that team with TMac, Iverson or VC and they still three peat. Replace Shaq with anyone, except maybe Duncan, and they probably don't even ring once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don’t 3peat that’s for sure. I’m not even sure they get by Portland and Sacramento in 00 and 01. Pierce wasn’t that good of a player tbh. People remember him from when KG showed up but I was a huge Boston fan back in the early 2000s (second favorite team) and I loved me some Pierce and Mr. 4 point shot.

BUUUT when the lights were the brightest Pierce shrank and turned into an overrated chucker. The dude shot a combined 37% from the field during his first 3 trips to the postseason. He wouldn’t have really helped Shaq the way Kobe was able to.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers fans can't tell me one reason that Kobe is better than Pierce, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally agree with you that Kobe is the most over rated athlete of this century thus far, but that is just a blatantly re ed statement.
    If duncan won zero rings, yes, he’d be another Garnett. Winners write history.

Fact though is duncan did win because he was so easy to build around so he’s not another Garnett.

Not sure how this related to my comment but no, Kobe didn’t equal credit for those rings. Shaq was what the entire league designed against. He’s the reason mengke bateer and scot pollard had jobs.

Thread Information