My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The roster was selected in 2018 and current World Cup team is playing. Many changes and injuries since 2018 of course.
    Can the players on the initial 2018 roster but not playing on this current FIBA team, join at a future date for the 2020 Olympics? b.) What is the latest date they could join?

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/mnt-roster-announcment.aspx

Contest winner gets a large pizza at the restraunt of your choice*.

*Some outrageous $200 per pizza place in Beverly Hills, the Hamptons etc will be rejected. Keep it real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Named to the 2018-20 USA National Team are:
    Harrison Barnes
    (Dallas Mavericks);
    Bradley Beal
    (Washington Wizards);
    Devin Booker
    (Phoenix Suns);
    Jimmy Butler
    (Minnesota Timberwolves);
    Mike Conley Jr.
    (Memphis Grizzlies);
    DeMarcus Cousins
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    Stephen Curry
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Anthony Davis
    (New Orleans Pelicans);
    DeMar DeRozan
    (Toronto Raptors);
    Andre Drummond
    (Detroit Pistons);
    Kevin Durant
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Paul George
    (Oklahoma City Thunder);
    Eric Gordon
    (Houston Rockets);
    Draymond Green
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Blake Griffin
    (Detroit Pistons);
    James Harden
    (Houston Rockets);
    Tobias Harris
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Gordon Hayward
    (Boston Celtics);
    Kyrie Irving
    (Boston Celtics);
    LeBron James
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    DeAndre Jordan
    (Los Angeles Clippers);
    Kawhi Leonard
    (San Antonio Spurs);
    Damian Lillard
    (Portland Trail Blazers);
    Kevin Love
    (Cleveland Cavaliers);
    Kyle Lowry
    (Toronto Raptors);
    CJ McCollum
    (Portland Trail Blazers);
    Khris Middleton
    (Milwaukee Bucks);
    Victor Oladipo
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Chris Paul
    (Houston Rockets);
    Isaiah Thomas
    (Los Angeles Lakers);
    Klay Thompson
    (Golden State Warriors);
    Myles Turner
    (Indiana Pacers);
    Kemba Walker
    (Charlotte Hornets);
    John Wall
    (Washington Wizards); and
    Russell Westbrook
    (Oklahoma City Thunder).

Bonus Q. 7 of these original roster players are now injured and out. Can they be replaced? Or tough ties, original roster must stay intact?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A: Don't give a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A: Don't give a
    You are a bonus prize winner.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    As I said in the Turkey post, I don't see large part of those guys ever playing summer ball again. I am quite sure LeBron, KD, Kawhi and Curry are out for sure. Harden, Paul George, Blake, Westbrook as well. They are older and have injury histories that the probably don't want to risk. Plus they all have about a 2-3 year window to settle their NBA legacies once and forever. And, most importantly, a gold medal will not alter their legacies at all, while it will matter significantly more for international players.

The bigger stars who might show up are Kyrie and AD, but both of those guys have also had two serious injuries.

There is really is a 4-5 year window shaping up where international teams might win a gold medal here and there against the US. It really takes one excellent game, and with a less talented US, there are about 4-5 nations who will like their chances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bigger stars who might show up are Kyrie and AD, but both of those guys have also had two serious injuries.
    No one in the media has mentioned yet if these guys can join later for the Olympics.
    I mean I'm not doubting your post nor the idea they can, it's just why is it not in the news? Xs10 with todays loss to France.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    No one in the media has mentioned yet if these guys can join later for the Olympics.
    I mean I'm not doubting your post nor the idea they can, it's just why is it not in the news? Xs10 with today's loss to France.
    They were part of the initial roster that USA Basketball wanted to assemble this summer. I am not sure whether they will accept, in fact I have serious doubts they would, but those two are probably the most realistic objective. If they decline, it's up to the Zions and Devin Bookers of the league to win that gold medal next summer and I am not quite sure they can do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were part of the initial roster that USA Basketball wanted to assemble this summer.
    Well this would seem to confirm that others can still join:

From msn sports OlympicTalk.

U.S. men's basketball team loses again for worst-ever tourney result

"…..expect superstars to sign up for next summer. Perhaps LeBron James and Stephen Curry, who were among the big names to withdraw from Rio Olympic consideration in Mike Krzyzewski‘s third and final Olympics at the helm."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/us-mens-basketball-team-loses-again-for-worst-ever-tourney-result/ar-AAHc5Tp?ocid=spartanntp

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The US can ofcourse choose any roster it wants. There are no FIBA regulations that prevent them from having 12 completely different players next summer.

Having said that, I am 100% sure LBJ will never again summer ball, and about 99% that Steph will do the same along with the most of their generation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US can ofcourse choose any roster it wants. There are no FIBA regulations that prevent them from having 12 completely different players next summer.
    Do they even have to be on the original 32 man (36, whatever) roster?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Do they even have to be on the original 32 men (36, whatever) roster?
    Not that I know of. I think this was just an internal USA Basketball after the 2004 Olympics of getting a commitment from players for a 2-3 year cycle so that they wouldn't have to scramble every summer to create a new team from scratch. Other nations, which don't have the U.S pool of talent, are always on the lookout for breakout stars to add to their national teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that I know of. I think this was just an internal USA Basketball after the 2004 Olympics of getting a commitment from players for a 2-3 year cycle so that they wouldn't have to scramble every summer to create a new team from scratch. Other nations, which don't have the U.S pool of talent, are always on the lookout for breakout stars to add to their national teams.
    So this FIBA as a pre tournament for the Olys is kind of a joke.
    There's nothing "qualifying" about it since the rosters can be entirely made over.

It's really two entirely different tournaments, one having nothing to do with the other in reality.
    Oh wait, the *seeds* are set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry surprisingly in. Lillard said he is in too. We'll see what the others end up doing.

Welp, contest is over. Weird the media never said a word while this FIBA team was getting hammered.

Thread Information