My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, he'd be better off waiting it out another year:

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/kla...mpression=true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if you heard...the Spurs rush players back from injury. So next year sounds right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One nice thing for Murray is that he only weighs about 75 pounds, so his repaired ACL will take less of a beating than some guys' might.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After personally having shoulder surgery, doctor's saying I can go hard after 4-5 months was exciting but I definitely had a lot of set backs while playing and it is still causing me issues 12 years later. Surgery and these injuries are very big deals and should not be taken lightly. After reading this and reminding me of this, I hope Dejounte is on a minutes restriction with a plan to get off it around All-star break. Dejounte is too important and we have plenty of gaurds (especially Lonnie) who need playing time too.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, don't overlook this bit from the article:

"That’s only three players in the past decade, but considering there were 31 ACL injuries in that span, that’s a nearly 10 percent rate.

Over the last 25 years of NBA knee injuries, there were six re-injuries out of 67 ACL tears, again nearly 10 percent."

It's a pretty rare injury. What he's leaving out is that the reason for some of those ACL tears is the biomechanics of the players themselves. And those guys are going to be more susceptible to a re-injury. It's not quite the numbers game he wants to make it.

For most guys, a year is enough if they really dedicate to the rehab and strength building. Steph Curry had terrible trouble with his ankles, and they put him through an intense regimen to strengthen his hips, and he hasn't had the problem since. It's not the same thing, but the point is his injuries were about biomechanics.

If Murray has his strength back, and the Spurs' medical staff thinks he's ready to get back on the floor, I wouldn't second guess it. But if there is an underlying problem that hasn't been fixed then, yeah, he could re-injure it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's common knowledge that players are a lot better the second season after their ACL surgery so it's legitimate concern that players aren't fully healed their first season back.

If he can knock down open 3's and defender at 80% of the level he defended at his last healthy season- and stay healthy, then he's an above average guard. That's a really useful player even if he may not be fully recovered until the 20-21 season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Over the last 25 years of NBA knee injuries, there were six re-injuries out of 67 ACL tears, again nearly 10 percent."

Translation: 90% did not reinjure.
    But good article on how most (all?) who come back in a year or less decline in play.

DJ has the personality that he may try to do too much (meaning well).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    literally don't give a . he will be our best player next year.

doctor's opinions of patients they aren't treating themselves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a 90% success rate? Better sit out next year to be safe

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Popovich and RC Drunkford will rush him back just like they tried to do with Kawhi. Kawhi was alpha enough to tell them to "go themselves"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich and RC Drunkford will do their due dilligence just like they tried to do with Kawhi. Kawhi was -made enough to tell them to "wah, wah, wah...my pussy hurts. I wanna go to L.A."
    FIFY

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10% chance that Murray might possibly re-injure himself? Can't say those are very overwhelming odds.

Can't say I put much stock in a doctor whose prognosis is based on (Number of re-injuries / Number of ACL injuries X 100). Every person, body, and situation is different. Dejounte is a young buck, has a light frame, and seemingly has done everything he can to rehab properly.

Frankly, there is a chance that any NBA player can injure themselves any time they step out on the court. Murray has had a complete year to heal and rehab, waiting any longer would be wasting valuable years of his career on a "10% chance"
    Last edited by Dex; 09-20-2019 at 04:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10% chance that Murray might possibly re-injure himself? Can't say those are very overwhelming odds.

Can't say I put much stock in a doctor whose prognosis is based on (Number of re-injuries / Number of ACL injuries X 100). Every person, body, and situation is different. Dejounte is a young buck, has a light frame, and seemingly has done everything he can to rehab properly.

Frankly, there is a chance that any NBA player can injure themselves any time they step out on the court. Murray has had a complete year to heal and rehab, waiting any longer would be wasting valuable years of his career on a "10% chance"
    Pretty much this.

Why lose out on another valuable year of development because of "10%" chance of re - injury?

Let him work his way back and hopefully he won't have any real set backs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich and RC Drunkford will rush him back just like they tried to do with Kawhi. Kawhi was alpha enough to tell them to "go themselves"
    Kawhi told them and the media he was coming back when Pop tried to shut him down for the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes,if you are a moron like Jabari Parker and you tear your ACL and you return out of shape and at the same weight,you multiply your chances of a reinjury.

If you are as self destructive as DeMarcus Cousins,you tear your achilles,go through the rehab without changing your body and your game and then instead of your achilles you tear a quad or an ACL a year later.

If you are unlucky like Bertans you may snap your ACL twice,cause happens.

But Murray went through rehab in a great way by all accounts,he wasn't rushed back,he's gonna get all the rest he needs during the season-cause that's what the Spurs do,and hopefully we will stop being so ing unlucky as we have been lately.

Now,the Warriors,with their new court and missing Durant and being in danger of missing the playoffs without Klay...
    That's a different story and a different/heavier player.
    Sure,they can things up and play him earlier and put him in danger of snapping it again.
    It's not like they didn't have everything going right for them for half a decade...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a full year recovery though. He did his ACL in a pre season game. Its not like it happened the 2nd month of the season. Or heck, the finals like Klay Thompson. Which is ironic that people think he'll be back for the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will be our best player next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a full year recovery though. He did his ACL in a pre season game. Its not like it happened the 2nd month of the season. Or heck, the finals like Klay Thompson. Which is ironic that people think he'll be back for the playoffs.
    I have said for a while the Warriors are lying about him coming back that early and they are doing it to sell tickets for their new arena. Historically I have never seen a player comeback in less than a year when it comes to the ACL injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No . He tore his ACL.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho he should not start.
    The best way to let him rehab at full is giving him minutes from th bench in a minutes restriction plan.
    That will help him too to gain confidence in playing with the new faces...

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    literally don't give a . he will be our best player next year.

doctor's opinions of patients they aren't treating themselves
    Spurs padre disciple. Man if hee becomes our best , spurs should be faves to win it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs padre disciple. Man if hee becomes our best , spurs should be faves to win it all.
    Either that or being a 15-win team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’ll make the Spurs better and there’s little chance that Pop overuses him. Hopefully, he doesn’t try to do too much too soon. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not a 10% chance. You're confusing the commentary from the writer of the article with the research performed by the scientist.

Here is a link to the research paper if you want more information:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5226931/
    Last edited by itzsoweezee; 09-21-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Thread Information