Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    What not to study: The 20 college majors with the highest unemployment rates

20. International Relations
    19. Visual and Performing Arts
    18. Commercial art and Graphic Design
    17. Foreign language
    16. Industrial production technologies
    15. Industrial and organizational psychology
    14. Composition and rhetoric
    13. Mathematics and computer science
    12. United States history
    11. Fine arts
    10. Communication technologies
    9. Actuarial science
    8. Public policy
    7. Drama and theater arts
    6. Miscellaneous fine arts
    5. Mass media
    4. Film video and photographic arts
    3. Materials engineering and materials science
    2. Cognitive science and biopsychology
    1. Petroleum Engineering

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Hmm. Odd they combined mathematics and Computer Science. I find it hard to believe the unemployment rate for Comp Sci is bad tbh

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Computer science? Actuarial science? Petroleum engineering? What kind of crack is that writer on

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Horrible list tbh. So many unemployed English majors though. That should be tops, with History and Art History, as well as music majors (sadly).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Computer science? Actuarial science? Petroleum engineering? What kind of crack is that writer on
    What are you talking about?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Too many people jumped on the petroleum engineering bandwagon, tbh. I don't know the stats for the job market, but I know you can find a fresh graduate easier than a lot of other engineers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't imagine an 18-year-old ever saying that they are going to college for a public policy degree.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Horrible list tbh. So many unemployed English majors though. That should be tops, with History and Art History, as well as music majors (sadly).
    yeah... this is easily the dumbest list I've ever seen

It's almost impossible for a Music major to get a W2 job at all unless they double major in education and even then there's a lot more of a supply of these people than music teachers/band director vacancies in schools, so the compe ion is intense and plenty of people are left standing in the musical chairs game (pun intended).

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Too many people jumped on the petroleum engineering bandwagon, tbh. I don't know the stats for the job market, but I know you can find a fresh graduate easier than a lot of other engineers
    yes, but #1 on the list over all the liberal arts and social "sciences" and such is just ridiculous. Last time I checked, PetE still has among the highest average starting salaries.

https://www.naceweb.org/job-market/c...neering-major/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yes, but #1 on the list over all the liberal arts and social "sciences" and such is just ridiculous. Last time I checked, PetE still has among the highest average starting salaries.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You don’t know what you’re talking about.
    Seems like you're the one, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seems like you're the one, tbh.
    There’s really no point in trying to show you why you’re wrong because you’ll just ignore it or change the subject. You should really do more research before you post. Using starting salary as a stand alone indicator of employment rates for all industries is flawed.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    There’s really no point in trying to show you why you’re wrong because you’ll just ignore it or change the subject. You should really do more research before you post. Using starting salary as a stand alone indicator of employment rates for all industries is flawed.
    saying an Engineering major has worse job prospects out of college than a liberal arts or Music major is severely re ed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    tbh a lot of these majors are complete horse as 4 year degrees and really function as stopgaps before getting into a postgrad program

poly sci into law school is very common, for example. but wtf are you going to do with nothing but a poli sci degree? jack

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    saying an Engineering major has worse job prospects out of college than a liberal arts or Music major is severely re ed.
    We’re not talking about an engineering major in general but specifically, a petroleum engineer.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    tbh a lot of these majors are complete horse as 4 year degrees and really function as stopgaps before getting into a postgrad program

poly sci into law school is very common, for example. but wtf are you going to do with nothing but a poli sci degree? jack
    become a "community organizer"

become senator

pay people to change your birth certificate from Kenya to Hawaii

become president

?????

profit

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    We’re not talking about an engineering major in general but specifically, a petroleum engineer.
    Pet.E. is generally considered the cream of the engineering crop, civil engineering is usually considered the runt of the litter. Very few universities even offer Pet.E., even many large flagships in the US don't. I think for Texas it's either A&M or Tech, but most states are lucky to have one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pet.E. is generally considered the cream of the engineering crop, civil engineering is usually considered the runt of the litter. Very few universities even offer Pet.E., even many large flagships in the US don't. I think for Texas it's either A&M or Tech, but most states are lucky to have one.
    Who cares if it’s the cream of the crop. It’s employment in one of the most cyclical industries in the country. One where a downturn means 100,000+ jobs cut. And those never fully return. Technology also has enabled one person to do a job that used to take a whole staff.

Amyway, what’s your basis for disagreeing with the op? Surely you have some data.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    become a "community organizer"

become senator

pay people to change your birth certificate from Kenya to Hawaii

become president

?????

profit
    obama went to harvard law school and got his JD

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Andy quit quoting me, go pork your hamnbeast or soemthing before you clock out at bath and bodyworks

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Who cares if it’s the cream of the crop. It’s employment in one of the most cyclical industries in the country. One where a downturn means 100,000+ jobs cut. And those never fully return. Technology also has enabled one person to do a job that used to take a whole staff.

Amyway, what’s your basis for disagreeing with the op? Surely you have some data.
    I don't disagree with that, but they do "return" at some point in an inflationary economy.

Obviously the job market for that was better before late 2014 when gas (in Texas, for example) went from $3.79 to close to 2 bucks.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    obama went to harvard law school and got his JD
    I know Obama did..> I'm just saying what you can do with a poly sci degree as a completely non-professional type of worker and have great success. But of course that's an outlier. That post was intended to be a joke.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    jesus christ those arts medians are atrocious

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    jesus christ those arts medians are atrocious
    If you're lucky enough to even get a steady job. Many of those medians are teacher salaries. Because academia is often the only realistic career path for many of those.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't disagree with that, but they do "return" at some point in an inflationary economy.

Obviously the job market for that was better before late 2014 when gas (in Texas, for example) went from $3.79 to close to 2 bucks.
    1) No...all those jobs don’t return.
    2) Petroleum engineer employment has very little to do with gas prices. Both are reactionary to oil and natural gas prices.

You need to stick to talking about things you understand. Hopefully one day you find what that is.

Thread Information