Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was referring to this narrative being pushed outside of ST on other fan forums and with the media.
    well, for that matter, there are all kinds of narratives out there about the spurs: boring, over and done with, system instead of talent, never a dynasty, no longer a contender...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My problem with Pop is that people prop him up on purpose to diminish Duncan's legacy. It's always the bs narrative of "Duncan only won because of Pop. Duncan was a product of Pop's system." That to me is a bunch of horse .
    Really? Show me some links. I don't recall any narrative of substance that is saying Duncan won because of Pop. Quite the contrary, Pop himself has always given Duncan credit for Pops own success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they don't. That only exists in the mind of insecure Spur fans that have a weird complex against the best coach in their team's history.
    You've bought your own narrative.
    My narrative? I guess that's why even Stephen Kobe's lover Smith calls Shaq "the most dominat force in NBA history"

Just me? In 2009 many fans here were disappointed that ESPN chose Lebron and Shaq over Duncan as all-time picks.
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126748

Like it or not, media created a narrative around Pop and his strong influence on his players, making them "his products", boring products, that overshadow their legacies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My problem with Pop is that people prop him up on purpose to diminish Duncan's legacy. It's always the bs narrative of "Duncan only won because of Pop. Duncan was a product of Pop's system." That to me is a bunch of horse .

The only place where you might see those opinions expressed is on websites where amateur contrarians, trolls, and team rivals post. The opinion I hear most is that Duncan would've won anywhere and I've never heard a single coach, scout, or serious analyst say otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My narrative? I guess that's why even Stephen Kobe's lover Smith calls Shaq "the most dominat force in NBA history"

Just me? In 2009 many fans here were disappointed that ESPN chose Lebron and Shaq over Duncan as all-time picks.

Like it or not, media created a narrative around Pop and his strong influence on his players, making them "his products", boring products, that overshadow their legacies.
    Again, that is just the opinion of Smith and other ESPN writers. That doesn't speak to where other "analysts," writers and fans see Duncan as an all - time great.

And, physically speaking Shaq (with Chamberlain) was one of the most imposing players ever.

Duncan was dominant but in an entirely different way. I think most rational people realize that difference and also where Pop's coaching contributed.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

see, there's your narrative again.

Anytime a ten year old poll or stupid talking head opinion doesn't go your way, you have to attribute it to Pop.

It doesn't work that way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many Pop haters try to create a narrative that never existed. Nobody outside of ST said that Duncan won because of Pop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, who actually does that?

Who is constantly ting on Duncan specifically?

Give explicit non YouTube examples.

No, they don't. That only exists in the mind of insecure Spur fans that have a weird complex against the best coach in their team's history.

Pop gives all praise and due to Duncan (and to a lesser extent Ginobili/Parker), even stating that Duncan "made him look great" as a coach, but his team's fanbase (at least on ST) swears he takes all the praise. Their relationship is a lot like Auerbach and Russell, yet I never heard anyway (in the media or otherwise) trying to state who "deserved" more credit for the team's success from those Boston teams.

He is even rumored to not want to be inducted into the basketball HOF until Timmy is inducted/eligible.

Just like Jordan is (literally) cited for most, if not all, the success of the 1990's Bulls and little credit is shown to Jackson, Pippen, etc.

Anyone stupid enough to say Tim was a product of "Pop's system" should be completely ignored. He was the "system" (in some form or fashion) for about 19 years.

I realize you're two of the biggest apologists on the forum, but you can't be serious? It's everywhere, all the time. Consume virtually any national Spurs related content and you'll see an abundance of it.

The most recent example is the 30 teams in the 30 days article, where Powell has the audacity to call him "the most important figure in club history". As a fan, I find it disgusting, embarrassing and offensive. I can only imagine being on the short list of greatest players of all time and having to deal with it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

I realize you're two of the biggest apologists on the forum, but you can't be serious? It's everywhere, all the time. Consume virtually any national Spurs related content and you'll see an abundance of it.

The most recent example is the 30 teams in the 30 days article, where Powell has the audacity to call him "the most important figure in club history". As a fan, I find it disgusting, embarrassing and offensive. I can only imagine being on the short list of greatest players of all time and having to deal with it.
    triggered by opinions and polls.

THE AUDACITY!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    triggered by opinions and polls.

THE AUDACITY!
    You asked for an example, I give you one, then you resort to ad homenim to try to distract from the fact that it's true.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You asked for an example, I give you one, then you resort to ad homenim to try to distract from the fact that it's true.
    that's your example?

A little blurb about the season?

I mean , people will say Red Auerbach is the most important figure in Boston's history. Does that automatically mean Bill Russell is and downgraded as a player? No, it does not.

Do you understand?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's your example?

A little blurb about the season?

I mean , people will say Red Auerbach is the most important figure in Boston's history. Does that automatically mean Bill Russell is and downgraded as a player? No, it does not.

Do you understand?
    Ah, so now it's the size of them that matters. What'll it be next?

This is a sport where the majority of the credit goes to the best player, except in this case. I'm convinced it played a significant part in S bag's wanting out, because he knew his profile would never be commensurate with his caliber of play here.

Do you understand?
    Last edited by TD 21; 09-22-2019 at 06:46 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ah, so now it's the size of them that matters. What'll it be next?
    Not my fault your example was weak.

This is a sport where the majority of the credit goes to the best player, except in this case.
    I just gave you an example of another "exception."

I'm convinced it played a significant part in S bag's wanting out, because he knew his profile would never be commensurate with his caliber of play here.

Do you understand?
    Yes, I understand you're delusional. Players move from small markets to larger markets all the time. There are plenty of examples of this. He just went about it in a particularly y manner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not my fault your example was weak.

I just gave you an example of another "exception."

Yes, I understand you're delusional. Players move from small markets to larger markets all the time. There are plenty of examples of this. He just went about it in a particularly y manner.
    It wouldn't matter what the example was or how many examples were given, you'd still play this game in an attempt to defend your god.

No, you didn't. You just spouted it without a source and attempted to pass it off as fact.

Says the guy who acts like others take this too seriously, while spending probably more time on a message board of it than anyone. Ah, but save for Durant, they don't leave teams top few teams in the league, do they?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It wouldn't matter what the example was or how many examples were given, you'd still play this game in an attempt to defend your god.
    He's not my God. I think the current ownership is probably more important to the history of the franchise tbh. Just because you hate the guy doesn't prove Kawhi left because of Kawhi's perception of the media's opinion of Pop -- see how stupid that is?

No, you didn't. You just spouted it without a source and attempted to pass it off as fact.
    So no one in history could ever consider Red to be the most important figure in Celtics history?

OK.

If you want me to find a guy saying Red was a most important figure to basketball, above even any given team, I'll happily do that.

Do you want me to do that?

Says the guy who acts like others take this too seriously, while spending probably more time on a message board of it than anyone. Ah, but save for Durant, they don't leave teams top few teams in the league, do they?
    you just contradicted yourself right off the bat. By your criteria, Shaq is there too.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Duncan is an heterosexual male. Biggest lie ever told about him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not my God. I think the current ownership is probably more important to the history of the franchise tbh. Just because you hate the guy doesn't prove Kawhi left because of Kawhi's perception of the media's opinion of Pop -- see how stupid that is?

So no one in history could ever consider Red to be the most important figure in Celtics history?

OK.

If you want me to find a guy saying Red was a most important figure to basketball, above even any given team, I'll happily do that.

Do you want me to do that?

you just contradicted yourself right off the bat. By your criteria, Shaq is there too.
    Who said I hate him and when did I say I have proof or that it was the sole reason S bag left?

I don't care, but you come off as a hypocrite when you accuse others of not providing a source to back up their claim, then proceed to do the same.

I meant in this era. Obviously there are others throughout history, like Abdul-Jabbar. But it's a rarity nowadays considering the insecurity these divas have about rings and their "legacy".

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Who said I hate him and when did I say I have proof or that it was the sole reason S bag left?
    You love him and think it was only a small factor.

I don't care, but you come off as a hypocrite when you accuse others of not providing a source to back up their claim, then proceed to do the same.
    Do you want a source or not?

Sounds like you would rather just not talk about it anymore.

I meant in this era. Obviously there are others throughout history, like Abdul-Jabbar. But it's a rarity nowadays considering the insecurity these divas have about rings and their "legacy".
    backtrack duly noted.

NOBODY DOES THIS EXCEPT FOR ALL THESE GUYS WHO DID IT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again, great coaches can't win without great talent. And great talent can't win without good/great coaching.

Anyone with half a brain (including Pop) knows that Duncan was the focal point, catalyst and whatever else term you'd like to use for the Spurs' success.

He's the one on the all - time top 10 least (which is drawing straws when you get to the talent level), he's the one with the Finals MVP's, MVP's, All - NBA, All - Defense honors and countless records in the league's/Spurs' books.

Yes, Pop and R.C. are also great in a lot ways (criminally underrated on here) but everything began and (in a sense) ended with Duncan.

But, since you are always whining and finding a reason to knowing that within yourself isn't enough. You need some pointless validation that Duncan himself never cared for.

Anyway, it'll be nice if they do go in the HOF together since it means a lot to Pop. And he/R.C. knows where their bread was buttered for nearly 20 years.

These last two seasons and World Cup are examples of why coaches, even an all-time great like Pop, need great talent to succeed. The margin for error dramatically decreased without an all-time great like Duncan as the linchpin.

, but roster construction (that word y'all ed about ad naseum last season) and coaching also play a factor.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 09-23-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't understand what's so complicated about this.. the guy on the video pretty much nailed it right off the bat-

-Pop is the goat coach
    -neither pop nor Tony nor Manu (nor Timmy for that matter but he came closest of the 4) were consistently at their best throughout the spurs ridiculously long run
    - certain players/ teams don't get the same criticisms, and that is almost entirely due to media perception, market size, popularity, ie non basketball related bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't understand what's so complicated about this.. the guy on the video pretty much nailed it right off the bat-

-Pop is the goat coach
    -neither pop nor Tony nor Manu (nor Timmy for that matter but he came closest of the 4) were consistently at their best throughout the spurs ridiculously long run
    - certain players/ teams don't get the same criticisms, and that is almost entirely due to media perception, market size, popularity, ie non basketball related bull
    Great summary of the video.

His point about Pop was that Pop's system often gets overhyped, since it never really reached fruition until around 2011, when Tim's wheels started falling off. Prior to that, Tim was essentially the system, especially from 1999-2004. The offense from 1998-2004 was slow, plodding, and predictable, only working because of Tim's greatness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great summary of the video.

His point about Pop was that Pop's system often gets overhyped, since it never really reached fruition until around 2011, when Tim's wheels started falling off. Prior to that, Tim was essentially the system, especially from 1999-2004. The offense from 1998-2004 was slow, plodding, and predictable, only working because of Tim's greatness.
    Yeah offensively that is absolutely true, but coaching is more than just offense, and before 2011 pop had other successes, beyond just feeding Duncan- the corner 3/ spacing, emphasis on defensive rebounding, baseline /middle defensive principles, ego/ locker room mangement, trusting internationals.. didn't always work and not the ONLY coach to do that stuff but at least in the period I most watched - 2003-2015- he was hands down the best coach in the league, even with small ball in 06

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You love him and think it was only a small factor.

Do you want a source or not?

Sounds like you would rather just not talk about it anymore.

backtrack duly noted.

NOBODY DOES THIS EXCEPT FOR ALL THESE GUYS WHO DID IT
    I just call it like I see it. But thank you for telling me what my opinion of something is.

Source, no source, I made my point.

I made the mistake of thinking you had common sense. S bag is actually in a class all his own, because Durant did it under the misguided notion that his career would be validated by winning a championship(s) at any cost.

Again, great coaches can't win without great talent. And great talent can't win without good/great coaching.

Anyone with half a brain (including Pop) knows that Duncan was the focal point, catalyst and whatever else term you'd like to use for the Spurs' success.

He's the one on the all - time top 10 least (which is drawing straws when you get to the talent level), he's the one with the Finals MVP's, MVP's, All - NBA, All - Defense honors and countless records in the league's/Spurs' books.

Yes, Pop and R.C. are also great in a lot ways (criminally underrated on here) but everything began and (in a sense) ended with Duncan.

But, since you are always whining and finding a reason to knowing that within yourself isn't enough. You need some pointless validation that Duncan himself never cared for.

Anyway, it'll be nice if they do go in the HOF together since it means a lot to Pop. And he/R.C. knows where their bread was buttered for nearly 20 years.

These last two seasons and World Cup are examples of why coaches, even an all-time great like Pop, need great talent to succeed. The margin for error dramatically decreased without an all-time great like Duncan as the linchpin.

, but roster construction (that word y'all ed about ad naseum last season) and coaching also play a factor.

That's the point. It's not that he sucks or I hate him, it's that he's reliant on the one thing all other coaches are, only he's often not treated as such and it's insulting not only to the superstars and stars he's been fortunate to coach previously, but even the current ones. Don't be a fool, great talent can absolutely win without great coaching.

Sure, he's on all the top 10 all time lists, but he still receives plenty of backhanded compliments and faint praise for his actual ability. I don't need validation and as I said, it's not limited to just Duncan; it's every superstar and star of his tenure. Look at how S bag's profile rocketed the minute he got out. I also wouldn't assume it doesn't bother these players because none have said so publicly, when that's clearly not in any of their nature.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I just call it like I see it. But thank you for telling me what my opinion of something is.

Source, no source, I made my point.
    So you want to drop it.

I made my point and you accept it, source or no source because you know there is a source.

I made the mistake of thinking you had common sense. S bag is actually in a class all his own, because Durant did it under the misguided notion that his career would be validated by winning a championship(s) at any cost.
    You made the mistake of undermining your own example immediately and leaving it open to more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "that's the system, he doing work coz of the system"
    that's a fair sample of how people tend to underrate players because of Pop and the spurs culture in general.

also their stats suffer playing in San Antonio somewhat, at least the stars

Thread Information