Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson could have been even better than he was had he not spent two years for his Navy commitment. Lost a good amount of developmental time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just ridiculous. Why does every conversation about Robinson always end up with comparing him to Duncan?

Proceeds to compare the 2:
    duncan was not individually more skilled, they were both elite and did it with very different styles. That’s why they complemented each other well. Robinson was a freak athlete that also possessed tons of skill. Duncan wasn’t an elite athlete but he had size, skill and phenomenal “old man” game. Meaning he knew how to max all of his strengths while expending as little energy as possible. Which is why he played so much longer. It’s like comparing Wilt to Kareem. Wilt be drob (although drob had better individual b-ball skill) and Duncan being Kareem (smooth, smart, longevity)
    I grew up nearly worshipping Robinson. He was a great player in the regular season but whose flaws were exposed in the playoffs. Robinson made his living off his running and jumpong like Shawn Marion but 7 feet tall. I'd argue Amare Stoudemire was more skilled than Drob but Drob had much better D than him. TD did not quite run or jump fast but his flexibility and strength was ELITE.. TD wouldve faired much better gaurding Olajuwon. Robinson is underrated many times but I've learned to live with him being an alltime great in the regular season but who probably could never be the alpha to win a championship and was a great complimentary player in the playoffs though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David is super underrated. It’s great to see so many on here defending The Admiral and putting up the facts to show folks. He carried San Antonio for many years until he got that big injury

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was easily a top player in the 90s. People who don't think so must not have been around then.

David was elite at both ends of the court, and he also made his teammates better. The problem is that he didn't have a very good collection of teammates most years. Unlike Jordan, Olajuwon, Malone, etc., he never played with another superstar during his prime. Rodman was a great rebounder, but was a liability on both ends of the floor and is the main reason we lost to Houston in the 1995 WCF. Sean Elliott was a two time All-Star, and had some good seasons, but was not the second superstar needed to complement the primary superstar (like Jordan had with Pippen, Olajuwon had with Drexler, Duncan had with Parker, etc.).

It's really amazing that the Spurs were a contender during the first 8 years of David's career, considering the supporting cast David had. It's a testament to his talent and leadership abilities that we were winning 50-60 games all those years.
    David was amazing during that stretch of 8 years. Sure, he may have had some bad games in the playoffs, but the other team's whole defense could focus in on him pretty much every playoffs. It's amazing what he did with the teammates he had. If he had just a couple of All-Star level teammates, I think he could have won some rings during that stretch. He was that good. Definitely underrated.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    intresting.

Fans are under the impression that kawhi surpassed him cause of toronto run.
    Your smug sophistry is disingenuous.

"Fans"... what fans? Millennial fans who live on reddit, or other blogs weren't around to appreciate Robinson's game - so their takes are incomplete and often lack the context to carry any relevant weight.

I didn't realize that Kawhi's injury had anything to do with you, but now it's clear to me that his injury might stem from you having your head lodged too far up his rear. Seriously, why does every topic here have to come back to Kawhi? Get off his sac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drob carried scrubs to the playoffs in a very tough league for years before he got injured. So yes he is very underrated and it was almost criminal how badly the FO was building a roster around him. However it did eventually get us Tim in the later years so it's hard to get to mad.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson was the 3rd best player of the 90s. Shaq didn't surpass him until 2000, and anyone who thinks Karl Malone or Barkley were better is a dumbass.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Your smug sophistry is disingenuous.

"Fans"... what fans? Millennial fans who live on reddit, or other blogs weren't around to appreciate Robinson's game - so their takes are incomplete and often lack the context to carry any relevant weight.

I didn't realize that Kawhi's injury had anything to do with you, but now it's clear to me that his injury might stem from you having your head lodged too far up his rear. Seriously, why does every topic here have to come back to Kawhi? Get off his sac.
    Like 5 of his last 6 threads are stealth Kawhi threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 90s were filled with plumbers 6'5 wings and 6'1 Guards.

to suggest Drob over Dwade is complete delusion.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I think he is fairly rated as a top 30-40 player of all-time, which is where most probably have him. obviously injuries later on and the navy thing early shortened what could have been a better career, but he routinely had pretty supporting casts. lol at your best teammate for the entire first part of your career being sean elliott. even the 2000s Cavs surrounded LeBron with better players

Robinson would be tailor made to play C in this era though tbh. he would be an absolutely nightmare on the court on both ends with his size/speed/strength/athletic ability. his defensive skills would be magnified playing in a heavy PnR league. it's really too bad he played in an era of bruising, lumbering post players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 90s were filled with plumbers 6'5 wings and 6'1 Guards.

to suggest Drob over Dwade is complete delusion.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dwade?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drob carried scrubs to the playoffs in a very tough league for years before he got injured. So yes he is very underrated and it was almost criminal how badly the FO was building a roster around him. However it did eventually get us Tim in the later years so it's hard to get to mad.
    Don't blame the front office. They got him mings, they got him Elliott, they got him Strickland, they got him Brickowski, I mean David had a monster core built around him initially. Blame Red McCombs for being a cheap piece of and letting that core get broken up. If the Spurs had Holt instead of McCombs owning the team they would have also traded for Barkley in 92. McCombs' cheap ass almost had David traded for Ewing (and obviously Ewing would have walked at the end of the contract).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perenial top 6 MVP Candidate, FMVP, 3 rings in played in the same era as Bron, Kobe, Durant, Kawhi.

Dwade is rated like 15 places above Robinson in most list

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Robinson era certainly had its tragic elements - yes, TRAGIC is not an overstatement when you consider who he had to play with.
    Not only that, but the coaches, wow:
    Larry Brown - I think Larry was on coke or booze during this part of his career. Paul ing Pressey. 'nuff said.
    Bob Bass - good lord
    The Tark - yougottabe inkidding
    John Lucas - speaking of coke and booze
    Bob Hill - this guy actually brought in Tony Robbins to speak to the team

All those wasted years...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Robinson era certainly had its tragic elements - yes, TRAGIC is not an overstatement when you consider who he had to play with.
    Not only that, but the coaches, wow:
    Larry Brown - I think Larry was on coke or booze during this part of his career. Paul ing Pressey. 'nuff said.
    Bob Bass - good lord
    The Tark - yougottabe inkidding
    John Lucas - speaking of coke and booze
    Bob Hill - this guy actually brought in Tony Robbins to speak to the team

All those wasted years...
    Negele Knight -
    Vinny Del Negro -
    Lloyd Daniels -
    Sleepy Floyd -
    Chris Whitney -

Spurs fans being excited at getting the remnants of Dale Ellis and Chuck Person to finally give Robinson some room to breathe.

Charles Smith -

Apathetic above ya and "fans", are stating Wade was better because Robinson should have been able to overcome these things.

He's probably the dumbest troll I haven't yet blocked though. Probably should rectify that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Negele Knight -
    Vinny Del Negro -
    Lloyd Daniels -
    Sleepy Floyd -
    Chris Whitney -

Spurs fans being excited at getting the remnants of Dale Ellis and Chuck Person to finally give Robinson some room to breathe.

Charles Smith -

Apathetic above ya and "fans", are stating Wade was better because Robinson should have been able to overcome these things.

He's probably the dumbest troll I haven't yet blocked though. Probably should rectify that.
    They are not fans especially the guy you are responding to. He's just a super troll and nothing else.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I grew up nearly worshipping Robinson. He was a great player in the regular season but whose flaws were exposed in the playoffs. Robinson made his living off his running and jumpong like Shawn Marion but 7 feet tall. I'd argue Amare Stoudemire was more skilled than Drob but Drob had much better D than him. TD did not quite run or jump fast but his flexibility and strength was ELITE.. TD wouldve faired much better gaurding Olajuwon. Robinson is underrated many times but I've learned to live with him being an alltime great in the regular season but who probably could never be the alpha to win a championship and was a great complimentary player in the playoffs though.
    Wow. The most probable reason you consider Drob simply a great complimentary player and not as skilled as Amari - lol because at that stage of your life you were still growing up. Would also explain why you remember him living of jumping and running which simply isn't true. He lived off the post not in the traditional way but through facing up and used his athletic ability to his advantage. AMARI needed a star PG to look guard. DROB didn't.

Weird part, others who have pointed out the valid lack of supporting cast for Drob argument but that has you glossing over it like it wasn't an issue. Again I would question how much do you remember?

Btw DRob is the best big man defender the spurs have ever had. Td complimented him when they were known as twin towers on defense.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    perenial top 6 MVP Candidate, FMVP, 3 rings in played in the same era as Bron, Kobe, Durant, Kawhi.

Dwade is rated like 15 places above Robinson in most list
    most lists I will conveniently never post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. The most probable reason you consider Drob simply a great complimentary player and not as skilled as Amari - lol because at that stage of your life you were still growing up. Would also explain why you remember him living of jumping and running which simply isn't true. He lived off the post not in the traditional way but through facing up and used his athletic ability to his advantage. AMARI needed a star PG to look guard. DROB didn't.

Weird part, others who have pointed out the valid lack of supporting cast for Drob argument but that has you glossing over it like it wasn't an issue. Again I would question how much do you remember?

Btw DRob is the best big man defender the spurs have ever had. Td complimented him when they were known as twin towers on defense.
    Some good points and bad points. Robinson made a lot of plays off of transition, that should not be argued but yes he did have good success in the post by facing the player but in tight games, he was not nearly as effective as he was in the regular season. His best skills were his decent mid-range and his ability to drive to his right. Robinson's biggest flaw was he had such skinny legs. He wasn't quite the inside presence still mainly relied on his quickness (which was elite) but skills were not nearly as good as a Duncan/Ewing/Olajuwon inside. Amare did not need Nash. He would've been great either way but as far as finishing and attacking the basket, yes, I think he was slightly better than Robinson looking at the highlights. Robinson still had about 2 inches on him in height and length so maybe some of that gets washed.

I think overall Duncan was still the better defender. Robinson was more athletic and slightly longer making him a menace at protecting the rim but Duncan was more versatile. He covered more ground because of his footwork and was able to bruise the post players because of his great lower body strength and flexibility and talent.

I'm not trying to bash Robinson by saying he was a great complimentary player. He played a support player very well by making good passes, hustling, defending. It's a compliment. As a go-to scorer in the playoffs, there are just a lot of players you could rank above Robinson. His military commitment, injuries, and "nice" personality all play a part. I might be wrong but those are just my observations and I credit Robinson so much for taking a back seat the way he did to Duncan. 99 ship would've never happened if he did not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

Unfortunately, fair or not, he will never escape the shadow of the ‘95 Hakeem series, ever.

It doesn’t help that Kenny Smith has been on a weekly major NBA broadcast for 20 years using those exact series highlights to prop up his former teammate Hakeem, while at the same time doing a HUGE disservice to David.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most top 50 lists have Robinson anywhere from 20-30 all-time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

Unfortunately, fair or not, he will never escape the shadow of the ‘95 Hakeem series, ever.

It doesn’t help that Kenny Smith has been on a weekly major NBA broadcast for 20 years using those exact series highlights to prop up his former teammate Hakeem, while at the same time doing a HUGE disservice to David.
    This is true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

A series in which he averaged 24 pts and 11 boards
    The 3rd leading scorer was AJ. This wasn't the 98 or 99 AJ who developed a decent mid range shot either
    Sure Hakeem was awesome. But Dave was routinely doubled, but the Spurs couldn't ( Rodman too interested in rebounds) and wouldn't ( beginning of the end for Hill, Pop lost confidence in him, although he lasted another year)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't blame the front office. They got him mings, they got him Elliott, they got him Strickland, they got him Brickowski, I mean David had a monster core built around him initially. Blame Red McCombs for being a cheap piece of and letting that core get broken up. If the Spurs had Holt instead of McCombs owning the team they would have also traded for Barkley in 92. McCombs' cheap ass almost had David traded for Ewing (and obviously Ewing would have walked at the end of the contract).
    Completely agree with you there about that 89-90 season was a legit power house, it was sad that they couldn't keep that together for long

Thread Information