Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been reading different forums the last few days and it seems consensus he was not a top 5 player in the 90s. Not that he wasnt a top 5 player at some point but just in totality.

Jordan
    Hakeem
    Malone
    Chuck
    Shaq

seems to be the consensus.

And Now In the alltime ranking list most fans rank Kawhi, Curry and wade over him too in the greatest players ever list

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Massively overrated tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been reading different forums the last few days and it seems consensus he was not a top 5 player in the 90s. Not that he wasnt a top 5 player at some point but just in totality.

Jordan
    Hakeem
    Malone
    Chuck
    Shaq

And Now In the alltime ranking list most fans rank Kawhi, Curry and wade over him too in the greatest players ever list
    for 90s, I'd personally rank him above Chuck and Malone. Close to Shaq, behind Hakeen and Jordan.

Better than Wade and Kwahi.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you use the same logic as the Pop haters, Robinson didn’t win anything until he had Duncan so he is overrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th all time PER and a great defender - yes he is underrated- has a terribly supporting cast most of career. https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_career.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DR in this era would probably be better than TD. DR now would be like the Greek Freak, but taller, bigger, and a better mid range, with better interior defense and weakside blocking. My god.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DR in this era would probably be better than TD. DR now would be like the Greek Freak, but taller, bigger, and a better mid range, with better interior defense and weakside blocking. My god.
    Never in any era would Drob be better than Duncan. Duncan was not only individually way more skilled but also was much better at making his teammates better and I would argue he was slightly better at defense too because of it. DRob might've had better numbers but in the playoffs Duncan would always be the goto.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th all time PER and a great defender - yes he is underrated- has a terribly supporting cast most of career. https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_career.html
    And that's only because it averages in the last 4 years of his career in which he was playing with a herniated lumbar disc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan supporting cast was way better so it was easier to make them better then David Robinson
    Duncan did not win without David or manu or Parker or Leonard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson was the 3rd best player of the 90s. Shaq didn't surpass him until 2000, and anyone who thinks Karl Malone or Barkley were better is a dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe not underrated but under appreciated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    glorified because he was somebody in san antonio that was actually in great shape

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had a three year stretch were he was prime LeBron/MJ good.

From 1993-96 he averaged 27 points, 11 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3 blocks, and 1.6 steals per game. His PER during this stint was 29 with an average BPM of 9.5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson was the 3rd best player of the 90s. Shaq didn't surpass him until 2000, and anyone who thinks Karl Malone or Barkley were better is a dumbass.
    For those keeping tabs...

Michael Jordan
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    David Robinson
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Charles Barkley
    Karl Malone
    Scottie Pippen
    Patrick Ewing
    John Stockton
    Reggie Miller

Were statistically the best players that played at least 8 seasons during the 90's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he played, the Admiral never ranked lower than 6th for an entire NBA season. David Robinson's end of year PER, by year during the 90's:

Season '89-'90 --- NBA Rank (5th) --- PER (26.35) Rookie Season*
    Season '90-'91 --- NBA Rank (3rd) --- PER (27.43)
    Season '91-'92 --- NBA Rank (2nd) --- PER (27.51)
    Season '92-'93 --- NBA Rank (6th) --- PER (24.19) (Red McCombs sells away most of the team's depth)
    Season '93-'94 --- NBA Rank (1st) --- PER (30.66)
    Season '94-'95 --- NBA Rank (1st) --- PER (29.13)
    Season '95-'96 --- NBA Rank (1st) --- PER (29.41)
    Season '96-'97 --- Broken foot after 6 games missed most of the season
    Season '97-'98 --- NBA Rank (3rd) --- PER (27.85) [for comparison Tim Duncan - 22.63]
    Season '98-'99 --- NBA Rank (3rd) --- PER (24.91) [for comparison Tim Duncan - 23.21]
    Season '99-'00 --- NBA Rank (5th) --- PER (24.55) [for comparison Tim Duncan - 24.78]

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He's in that Harden/Westbrook player tier.

Regular season stat-padder who routinely got exposed and choked in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes definitely agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had a three year stretch were he was prime LeBron/MJ good.

From 1993-96 he averaged 27 points, 11 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3 blocks, and 1.6 steals per game. His PER during this stint was 29 with an average BPM of 9.5.
    MVP voting:
    1989-6th
    1990-6th
    1991-3rd
    1992-3rd
    1993-6th
    1994-2nd
    1995-1st
    1996-2nd

During the Jordan era with tons of hall of famers, Robinson was an elite player and no worse than top 6 player in any one season during that 8yr run

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never in any era would Drob be better than Duncan. Duncan was not only individually way more skilled but also was much better at making his teammates better and I would argue he was slightly better at defense too because of it. DRob might've had better numbers but in the playoffs Duncan would always be the goto.
    This is just ridiculous. Why does every conversation about Robinson always end up with comparing him to Duncan?

Proceeds to compare the 2:
    duncan was not individually more skilled, they were both elite and did it with very different styles. That’s why they complemented each other well. Robinson was a freak athlete that also possessed tons of skill. Duncan wasn’t an elite athlete but he had size, skill and phenomenal “old man” game. Meaning he knew how to max all of his strengths while expending as little energy as possible. Which is why he played so much longer. It’s like comparing Wilt to Kareem. Wilt be drob (although drob had better individual b-ball skill) and Duncan being Kareem (smooth, smart, longevity)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just ridiculous. Why does every conversation about Robinson always end up with comparing him to Duncan?
    yeah i cant think of any good reasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    glorified because he was somebody in san antonio that was actually in great shape

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Regular season stat-padder who routinely got exposed and choked in the playoffs.
    Exposed in the playoffs?
    I think lack of support allowed teams to focus on him.
    I admit I'm biased, but definitely underrated.

He was so unique it took two different coaches to figure out how to use him. Way too thin in the lower body to be a traditional post up player Lucas had him face up using his height and athleticism.
    Pop with a switching D utilized his strengths better defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jordan
    Hakeem
    Malone
    Chuck
    Shaq

1. Chuck lmao
    2 kawhitter lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was easily a top player in the 90s. People who don't think so must not have been around then.

David was elite at both ends of the court, and he also made his teammates better. The problem is that he didn't have a very good collection of teammates most years. Unlike Jordan, Olajuwon, Malone, etc., he never played with another superstar during his prime. Rodman was a great rebounder, but was a liability on both ends of the floor and is the main reason we lost to Houston in the 1995 WCF. Sean Elliott was a two time All-Star, and had some good seasons, but was not the second superstar needed to complement the primary superstar (like Jordan had with Pippen, Olajuwon had with Drexler, Duncan had with Parker, etc.).

It's really amazing that the Spurs were a contender during the first 8 years of David's career, considering the supporting cast David had. It's a testament to his talent and leadership abilities that we were winning 50-60 games all those years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

intresting.

Fans are under the impression that kawhi surpassed him cause of toronto run.

Thread Information