Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...I guess I can see that. Especially if someone doesn't have a streaming live service. I have ATT TV now (nee DirecTV now). I'll usually just look for the Office or Impractical Jokers that's running. But if I didn't have that, I guess I would catch a sitcom on Netflix or whatever.
    I got my grandfather into Mad Men and I was over his house with my parents and they were all talking about how it and Breaking Bad were good soap operas. I was like "soap operas?" and it turns out in the old days all the primetime shows would never have a big ongoing storyline and only soap operas did. Dunno why I'm mentioning that but it's just interesting. Night time was like Rockford Files, Perry Mason, Columbo etc then daytime would be the looked down on shows with long season long arcs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got my grandfather into Mad Men and I was over his house with my parents and they were all talking about how it and Breaking Bad were good soap operas. I was like "soap operas?" and it turns out in the old days all the primetime shows would never have a big ongoing storyline and only soap operas did. Dunno why I'm mentioning that but it's just interesting. Night time was like Rockford Files, Perry Mason, Columbo etc then daytime would be the looked down on shows with long season long arcs
    That is interesting. I wonder when that started to change. I didn't see it but Dallas is the earliest I can think of that I know has season long plots.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Huh. Yeah Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crust were all 80s.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That is interesting. I wonder when that started to change. I didn't see it but Dallas is the earliest I can think of that I know has season long plots.
    Studios that were putting their stuff into syndication after a show's first network run almost mandated that shows not have linear stories so episodes could be aired out of order. That's why you got a lot of "To Be Continued" that were as close to season-long story arcs. It's why King of the Hill had issues with Fox for so many seasons.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Studios that were putting their stuff into syndication after a show's first network run almost mandated that shows not have linear stories so episodes could be aired out of order. That's why you got a lot of "To Be Continued" that were as close to season-long story arcs. It's why King of the Hill had issues with Fox for so many seasons.
    Interesting. Good info. But why were they concerned about airing it out of order when they could just air it in order?

But it makes sense. Just from the standpoint of it not mattering if someone missed an episode.

Wonder if the VCR had some impact in networks being OK with long story arcs. Just looked it up and it corresponds with the time that Dallas first aired.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Huh I don't recall any reruns being aired out of order.

Even on TBS when you watch Seinfeld or King of Queens they seem to maintain episode order. I seem to recall the same thing with cheers and Jefferson reruns back in the day

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Huh I don't recall any reruns being aired out of order.

Even on TBS when you watch Seinfeld or King of Queens they seem to maintain episode order. I seem to recall the same thing with cheers and Jefferson reruns back in the day
    Most didn't rerun them out of order, especially your national networks. But the hundreds and hundreds of local affiliates and independent stations that paid well for the syndication rights/license/fees could be getting their tapes in random order depending on who their distributor was, or when they started airing the reruns.

Nowadays it really doesn't matter, viewing habits and network distribution and airing platforms have all evolved.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This really ed up and became one of the reasons why Firefly couldn't get any traction. They aired episodes out of order and so for any new watcher it would have been dizzying to follow what was even going on.

When you look back at the cancelation, pretty amazing that even such stout cast of characters couldn't even help it limp to the finish line. But mostly I blame Fox for their lack of vision.

Whedon was truly the man of TV in the late 90s to mid 00s. Buffy and Angel was my back in the day.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This really ed up and became one of the reasons why Firefly couldn't get any traction. They aired episodes out of order and so for any new watcher it would have been dizzying to follow what was even going on.

When you look back at the cancelation, pretty amazing that even such stout cast of characters couldn't even help it limp to the finish line. But mostly I blame Fox for their lack of vision.

Whedon was truly the man of TV in the late 90s to mid 00s. Buffy and Angel was my back in the day.

It's really different today than back then. There aren't as many small, local networks hungry for programming and filling air time today as live analog TV is no longer the only platform to view .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Network TV was just the wrong place for a show like that at the time. Wait a few years and a smaller cable network or a streaming service of today would eaten that up. And iirc, Fox was very uncooperative in letting go of the television rights, which is why Whedon went the movie route (which ing paled in comparison to the tv show).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Deep Space Nine started having season long, and even series long storylines (mostly with the Dominion war) in the 90s. Being a Trek fan all through The Next Generation's run and watching the original series in reruns... that blew me away. I knew (or at least hoped) that this was the future of television.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "....What a difference the past two months made for Netflix.

It was just early July when the streaming video giant's stock was flirting with new record highs. Now after an unexpected loss of subscribers and increased compe ion in the streaming war, shares of Netflix erased all of its 46% gain for the year at its peak and officially entered negative territory on Monday..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/23/netf...cent-gain.html

Many analysts are still very bullish on the stock. I still don't get it.

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "....What a difference the past two months made for Netflix.

It was just early July when the streaming video giant's stock was flirting with new record highs. Now after an unexpected loss of subscribers and increased compe ion in the streaming war, shares of Netflix erased all of its 46% gain for the year at its peak and officially entered negative territory on Monday..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/23/netf...cent-gain.html

Many analysts are still very bullish on the stock. I still don't get it.
    I've go a buy order at $255 to establish a small position.. I think there is significant near term upside in the ballpark of 10-15%. It's oversold.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I've go a buy order at $255 to establish a small position.. I think there is significant near term upside in the ballpark of 10-15%. It's oversold.
    You just might get it

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You just might get it
    Maybe. Still a ways to go. Watching closely. Roku stock has been getting beat up too (but not a company I would invest in), for the same reasons re: low subscriber growth. There is so much compe ion and needs to be consolidation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I agree about the consolidation and it's funny you mention Roku. I think acquiring Roku would give Netflix the boost it would need, at least in the interim.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Maybe. Still a ways to go. Watching closely. Roku stock has been getting beat up too (but not a company I would invest in), for the same reasons re: low subscriber growth. There is so much compe ion and needs to be consolidation.
    What service from Roku requires a subscription?

If you own their hardware, you're signed up for their channels. Whether you watch them is a different question.

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You just might get it
    Got in. Adding to position at $250.

Thread Information