you cu nts are so dramatic..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    don't worry, spurs got demar derozan

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this isn't something you recover from tbh. this is a shark bite. spurs fan will just have to live with it.

pop isn't ringing again... the future is bleak at best. can spurs overachieve in the the next few years? sure. are they winning it all? nope.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs shoulda moved DDR for westbrook. that would've been an absolute power move. dude is an ironman and loyal af.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    even if you hate WB, dude got PG to resign in oklahoma city

did it last long? nope, but okc got a haul for him.

who was ddr recently linked to? demarcus cousins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They recovered after he left.
    Agreed. I wonder how many teams lost their best player, top 2/3 in the league and still made playoffs? In the last years I just remember OKC after KD's departure. I guess the Spurs recovered very fast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk will never recover, the Spurs already have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is unfortunately the best the recovery could be. An ok regular season team that has a playoff ceiling of a 2nd round out. As we can now see clear as day, nothing would have kept Kawhi here so while it will forever be a stain on the franchise and a HOF coach to lose someone like that in his prime, it's still less then the stain would have been if he stayed in Toronto or the LA-at-any-means-possible narrative didn't ring true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is unfortunately the best the recovery could be. An ok regular season team that has a playoff ceiling of a 2nd round out. As we can now see clear as day, nothing would have kept Kawhi here so while it will forever be a stain on the franchise and a HOF coach to lose someone like that in his prime, it's still less then the stain would have been if he stayed in Toronto or the LA-at-any-means-possible narrative didn't ring true.
    I still think it's better than going full on tankathon. As currently constructed, all it would take is one or two of the right big pieces to put the Spurs over the top and back into contention.

If you blow it up and try to join the lotto party, it could take years of losing before you land one or two of those coveted Top 3 picks. Then you have to completely rebuild the team around them (and the Spurs do so well in drawing free agents).

And after all that is said and done, we could still, in all likelihood, be right back to where we are now...a semi-contender whose ceiling is 2nd round, maybe WCF. It's pretty rare to find a generational talent like a Duncan or Robinson who will instantly propel you to contender status.

The Sixers spent 5 years executing "The Process" and they still only have an oft-injured center, a point guard who can't shoot, and a pair of Semi-Finals losses in a weak Eastern conference to show for it. Anthony Davis spent the first seven years of his career floundering in New Orleans.

And don't even get me started on teams like Phoenix or Sacramento who have been picking in the lottery for years and are still somehow stuck in purgatory.

People who seem to think blowing it up is going to be some sort of quick-fix (or even a slow fix) don't seem to be paying attention to the rest of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think it's better than going full on tankathon. As currently constructed, all it would take is one or two of the right big pieces to put the Spurs over the top and back into contention.

If you blow it up and try to join the lotto party, it could take years of losing before you land one or two of those coveted Top 3 picks. Then you have to completely rebuild the team around them (and the Spurs do so well in drawing free agents).

And after all that is said and done, we could still, in all likelihood, be right back to where we are now...a semi-contender whose ceiling is 2nd round, maybe WCF. It's pretty rare to find a generational talent like a Duncan or Robinson who will instantly propel you to contender status.

The Sixers spent 5 years executing "The Process" and they still only have an oft-injured center, a point guard who can't shoot, and a pair of Semi-Finals losses in a weak Eastern conference to show for it. Anthony Davis spent the first seven years of his career floundering in New Orleans.

And don't even get me started on teams like Phoenix or Sacramento who have been picking in the lottery for years and are still somehow stuck in purgatory.

People who seem to think blowing it up is going to be some sort of quick-fix (or even a slow fix) don't seem to be paying attention to the rest of the league.

I hear you, totally agree. I'd rather ride with the best we have and keep looking for that missing piece.

Thread Information