Page 13 of 474 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    President Trump said during a press conference in New York Wednesday that he wants "full transparency" not only over the "so-called whistleblower" allegations rocking Capitol Hill, but also "from Joe Biden and his son Hunter on the millions of dollars that have been quickly and easily taken out of Ukraine and China."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is the democract nomine?
    Warren ahead nation wide last poll
    Which poll is this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which poll is this?
    Quinnipiac: Warren Just Beats Biden in Nationwide Poll

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    President Trump said during a press conference in New York Wednesday that he wants "full transparency" not only over the "so-called whistleblower" allegations rocking Capitol Hill, but also "from Joe Biden and his son Hunter on the millions of dollars that have been quickly and easily taken out of Ukraine and China."
    As soon as David Dennison is transparent about anything about himself....

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Quinnipiac: Warren Just Beats Biden in Nationwide Poll
    Then why is Dennison scared of Joe?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Brutal couple days for the WaPo. First the “promise” and today the “DNI threatening to quit” both blow up in their faces.

The dud of the secondhand whistleblower gossip will complete the trifecta this afternoon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    27 percent support Warren
    25 percent prefer Biden
    16 percent chose Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt
    7 percent support South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    13 percent don’t know or did not respond

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Brutal couple days for the WaPo. First the “promise” and today the “DNI threatening to quit” both blow up in their faces.

The dud of the secondhand whistleblower gossip will complete the trifecta this afternoon.
    What does Q say about this?

When do the mass arrests of Democrats start this time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as David Dennison is transparent about anything about himself....

Why not both at same time
    And let’s see if Ukraine has that server

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why not both at same time
    And let’s see if Ukraine has that server
    What server? What are you actually talking about here?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When is the vote?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When is the vote?
    Whenever Nancy says.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Ukraine: What you need to know

House Democrats are considering the impeachment of President Donald Trump, who talked with the leader of Ukraine about investigating his political rival Joe Biden. Biden’s son Hunter was a director at a Ukrainian energy company when his father served as vice president.

Trump and his allies have charged that Biden and his son Hunter acted improperly. But PolitiFact and other fact-checkers have found little substance to these allegations. Hunter Biden did do work in Ukraine, but we found nothing to suggest Vice President Biden acted to help him or discouraged investigations of his son.
    Now, Democrats see Trump’s interactions with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky as efforts to bully a foreign country into doing something helpful for his own re-election campaign, possibly using U.S. military aid to Ukraine as leverage. Congress found out about the events after news reports of a whistleblower’s complaint.
    Here are seven pressing questions and answers about Trump and Biden.

1. What did Trump allegedly do regarding Biden and Ukraine?

Trump asked President Volodymyr Zelensky to work with Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani on a probe of the Bidens. Democrats have linked Trump’s request in a July 25 phone call to Zelensky with the slow-walking of $400 million in U.S. military aid to Ukraine.

1. What do we know about the whistleblower?

The whistleblower has not been identified as of this writing. What we do know is that an unnamed intelligence official filed a whistleblower complaint Aug. 12 to Michael Atkinson, the inspector general of the intelligence community. Atkinson found the complaint credible and a matter of "urgent concern." But the director of national intelligence, or DNI, did not turn the complaint over to Congress as the law requires. (The Justice Department advised the DNI that the conduct described in the complaint was outside the scope of the whistleblower statute.) Atkinson said in a letter to Congress that he disagreed with the DNI’s determination but was bound to abide by it.

1. In what way would Trump’s actions be problematic under the law?

Experts told PolitiFact that Trump’s interactions with the Ukrainian president could be impeachable if they amounted to self-dealing. "If the allegations are true that Trump demanded an investigation into the Biden family in exchange for military aid that was already approved for Ukraine, that could cons ute bribery, which is specifically listed in the cons ution as a basis for impeachment," said Barbara McQuade, a University of Michigan law professor who was U.S attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan appointed by President Barack Obama.

1. What was Hunter Biden’s role at a Ukrainian company?

Hunter Biden held a directorship with a natural gas company called Burisma Holdings, beginning in 2014. Reuters reported that the company said the younger Biden would help the company with "transparency, corporate governance and responsibility, international expansion," and other issues. The company also retained the law firm where Biden had been working, Boies Schiller Flexner.
    Burisma was owned by Mykola Zlochevsky, a minister under Russia-friendly President Viktor F. Yanukovych, who subsequently went into exile after a popular revolution. After Yanukovych was ousted, Zlochevsky faced a variety of corruption-related investigations involving his business.
    In 2015, Ukraine’s newly appointed prosecutor general Viktor Shokin inherited some of the investigations into Zlochevsky and Burisima. (Zlochevsky and the company have denied the allegations.) Shokin was ousted as prosecutor in 2016.
    In May 2019, Shokin’s successor, Yuriy Lutsenko, told Bloomberg that "Hunter Biden did not violate any Ukrainian laws — at least as of now, we do not see any wrongdoing."

1. Was the Ukrainian oil company Hunter Biden worked for under investigation?

At times, Burisma has attracted attention from investigators. Despite the Trump camp’s suggestions, however, it’s not clear that Burisma was actively under investigation during the period when Biden was a director. Key figures have said opposing things on that point.
    In an interview with the Ukrainian website Strana.ua, Shokin said the cases were indeed active. But Vitaliy Kasko, who had been Shokin’s deputy overseeing international cooperation, produced do ents to Bloomberg that under Shokin, the investigation into Burisma had been dormant.

1. Did Joe Biden act improperly to shield Burisma for his son?

Biden's actions seemed to encourage aggressive investigation of all corruption in Ukraine. Biden said he threatened to withhold aid unless Shokin was sacked, and Biden was hardly alone in calling for Shokin’s ouster. Western leaders and ins utions were largely united in seeking Shokin’s removal for ignoring corruption investigations.
    In early 2016, for example,International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde said that "it’s hard to see how the I.M.F.-supported program can continue" unless corruption prosecutions accelerate.
    Shokin "failed to prosecute anybody of significance,” protecting the Yanukovych circle, said Anders Åslund, a resident senior fellow at the think tank the Atlantic Council, in an interview with PolitiFact in May.

1. Was Hunter Biden’s position at a minimum a conflict of interest?

Yes. There is wide agreement among Ukraine policy experts that Hunter Biden’s decision to become a Burisma director presented a serious conflict of interest.
    "It’s not a crime, but it is a lapse. It’s troubling," said Lincoln A. Mitc , an adjunct research scholar at Columbia University’s Arnold A. Saltzman Ins ute of War and Peace Studies who has written about governance in the former Soviet Union.
    Yoshiko Herrera, a University of Wisconsin professor who previously headed the university’s Center for Russia, East Europe and Central Asia, said Hunter Biden’s hiring echoes a strategy common within Russia and other parts of the former Soviet Union, in which powerful interests try to secure influence on foreign policy by leveraging family members and associates of key leaders.
    "Conflict-of-interest rules should have applied,” Herrera said. “If Biden is working for the Obama administration on Ukraine, his son should not have been on the board of a company there that could be affected by U.S. policy spearheaded by his father."

How impeachment might work

Many of the rules that have been followed for presidential impeachments have flowed from history, from the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson in the 1860s to that of President Richard Nixon in the 1970s and President Bill Clinton in the 1990s.

How does the impeachment process work?

Impeachment is part of the U.S. Cons ution
    . It says the U.S. House of Representatives "shall have the sole Power of Impeachment," the Senate "shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments," and when a president is tried "the Chief Justice shall preside." A two-thirds vote for conviction means the person is removed from office.

Generally speaking, once the full House authorizes an impeachment inquiry, the House Judiciary Committee has taken the lead in conducting an investigation, holding hearings on proposed articles of impeachment, and voting on whether to approve them. (The House leadership can instead hand-pick a "select" committee to do this.) Articles that pass the committee proceed to the full House.

If the full House approves any of the articles, those articles are sent to the Senate for a trial. The House appoints managers to argue the case to the Senate, with the chief justice of the United States presiding. Eventually, Senators vote on whether to convict — that is, remove — the president. Start to finish, the process could take months.

Could the Senate refuse to hold a trial?

The short answer is yes, the Senate — currently led by Trump’s fellow Republicans — could probably refuse to try an impeachment. While the Cons ution stipulates that the Senate has the "sole power to try," it does not force the chamber to do so.

"I would interpret this as authority to try, but not a requirement to try," said Steven Smith, a political science professor at Washington University in St. Louis.

Experts agreed that the spirit of the Senate rules on impeachment, written in 1986, express an expectation that the Senate would hold a trial if the House approved impeachment articles. But both Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Trump have a track record of upending political expectations, experts noted.

Is it necessary to prove a clear-cut quid pro quo?

To impeach Trump, it’s not necessary that Congress conclude Trump explicitly cut an aid-for-Biden-probe deal with Ukraine. This is because impeachment is primarily a political question, not a legal one.

That said, articles of impeachment tend to cluster around a criminal law model, even if they don’t directly accuse the president of having violated a specific law, said Stephen M. Griffin, a Tulane University law professor.

While the legal elements of extortion or bribery need not be satisfied to impeach, the more closely Trump’s behavior resembles criminal conduct, the stronger the case, said Bradley Moss, a national security lawyer.

-- Politifact email

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This sumbich has a split personality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever Nancy says.
    When

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS anchor Gayle King wondered on Wednesday whether or not President Trump effectively put to rest legitimate concerns about his call with Ukraine in July by releasing a transcript.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wall Street Rises as Investors Look Past Impeachment Risk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you think he was gonna come out and confirm he was thinking about resigning? ... you give so much weight to these public denials

its like the rex tillerson stuff, you think he was gonna come out and admit he called the president a ing moron?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resurfaced video from 1998 shows Biden warning against impeaching Bill Clinton based on 'politics

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Whenever Nancy says.

What part of that do yo not understand?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PLEASE impeach him and do it quickly. Trump flat out admitted he asked a foreign government to dig dirt on a political opponent. That's enough. Just do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have no preference about WaPo, but they’re batting waaaaay better than fake news... like not even close.

Thread Information