Page 443 of 474 FirstFirst ... 343393433439440441442443444445446447453 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,075 of 11850
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's also the first President in history to be impeached where there is a written transcript exonerating him of what he was impeached for...twice.
    stfu you stupid little

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's also the first President in history to be impeached where there is a written transcript exonerating him of what he was impeached for...twice.
    You're getting weak material from the Aggie board today man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snakeboi getting bukkakked per par.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘The Mob Was Not Interested in Unity’:

Don Lemon Torches House Republicans Over Their Sudden, Conveniently-Timed Concern for ‘Dividing America’

https://www.mediaite.com/news/the-mo...iding-america/

==================
    Rep. Chip Roy, TX Repug bag:

Trump Committed 'Impeachable Conduct,'

But Will Vote Against Impeachment As Drafted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rVGynSQOmU&ab_channel=NBCNews

So how would Chip "draft" his Articles of Impeachment?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "One can even interpret the reported sudden new openness of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to convicting Trump in the Senate—

something that would until now have been unthinkable—

as evidence that

McConnell has strategically decided that throwing Trump under the bus

might be
    the best way to obscure the broader nature of what his party is pursuing."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...l-riot/617655/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't have unity if one party won't certify elections it loses

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Snakeboi getting bukkakked per par.
    He so desperately wants to be the Comfortably Smug of this board, but of course he’s not very clever so it's always a massive failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A majority of Republicans say President Donald Trump was right to challenge his election loss and don’t blame him for the mob riot at the Capitol, according to a new Axios/Ipsos poll.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A majority of Republicans say President Donald Trump was right to challenge his election loss and don’t blame him for the mob riot at the Capitol, according to a new Axios/Ipsos poll.
    Just proves you're rubes.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many ed up people around ed up Trash

Peter Navarro says impeachment 'did violence' to Trump:

'Let the man leave peacefully with his dignity'

https://www.rawstory.com/peter-navarro-impeachment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maria Bartiromo looks like she just cried or is about to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite and interviewed by Brianna Keilar

That woman is a beast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Official” two time winner of impeachment proceedings.

Waiting for derp’s related coping thread to follow.
    Derp in with the coping threads like clockwork.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the longer they put it off, the more time there is to discover like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the longer they put it off, the more time there is to discover like this.

Yes like the 3 years of Mueller investigation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes like the 3 years of Mueller investigation
    they're going for a quick one this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Justice Department’s top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the department’s power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results.

The unassuming lawyer who worked on the plan, Jeffrey Clark, had been devising ways to cast doubt on the election results and to bolster Mr. Trump’s continuing legal battles and the pressure on Georgia politicians. Because Mr. Rosen had refused the president’s entreaties to carry out those plans, Mr. Trump was about to decide whether to fire Mr. Rosen and replace him with Mr. Clark.

The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed?

The answer was unanimous. They would resign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., announced Friday that she will formally deliver the article of impeachment against Donald Trump to the Senate on Monday.

That will set into motion the unprecedent trial proceedings against the former president on a charge of incitement of insurrection over the January 6 deadly Capitol riot.

There was initial talk the trial might not take place for months. However, both Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, have agreed to beginning the Senate trial the week of February 8.

John Roberts, the chief justice of the United States, would normally preside over any Senate trial of the president.

But despite such niceties and trappings, a Senate trial would amount to more of a political sideshow than a legal proceeding.

Washington insiders say much of the effort is about Democratic revenge against Trump, and payback from establishment Republicans like McConnell. They never liked the outsider Trump and don't want to see him back in the White House come 2024.

Despite McConnell's effort to re-cast himself as an opponent of Trump's electoral challenge – "the mob was fed lies" – the record shows he strongly supported Trump's post-election voter efforts.

Shortly after the election, McConnell said from the Senate floor that Trump was "a hundred percent within his rights to look into allegations of irregularities and weigh his legal options."

McConnell added: "Let's not have any lectures about how the president should immediately, cheerfully accept preliminary election results from the same characters who just spent four years refusing to accept the validity of the last election."

In the end, McConnell refused to call Biden president-elect until December 15, and only spoke out against Trump in recent weeks.

Here's why:

1. The Impeachment itself was a sham.

A House impeachment is meant to be a deliberative process, one in which witnesses are heard and subjected to cross-examination, and the issues are fully debated, first in committee, then on the House floor.

What happened instead was what Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas, called, "a stain on our nation."

Professor and cons utional law expert Alan Dershowitz was more specific. He told Newsmax TV that when the House voted to impeach, it "committed six independent violations of the Cons ution."

Knowing they were immune from prosecution for anything they say or do on the House floor, House members "violated the free speech provision. They violated the impeachment criteria. They violated the bill of attainder. They violated due process, on and on and on."

In addition, the president was denied the fundamental Sixth Amendment right to counsel, which should void his impeachment altogether.

2. A trial violates the very purpose of impeachment.

A president or other federal official, is impeached for one reason alone — to remove this person from office.

In this case President Trump vacated his office on January 20. More than that, when the Joint Session of Congress certified the electoral vote on January 6, it gave the election to Joe Biden.

Article II Section 4 of the Cons ution provides that "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment" and a Senate conviction.

On that point William Jacobson, Cornell Law School professor of law, observed that "the premise of impeachment is that it is against someone who is the president, not someone who once was the president."

That view is shared by former federal appellate Judge J. Michael Luttig in a Washington Post article when he opined that a post-departure "Senate trial would be uncons utional."

And imagine opening this Pandora's box. With the cancel culture, will there be demands that every president who served during slavery be removed?

3. Who presides over the Senate trial?

As mentioned earlier, the chief justice normally presides over the impeachment of the president.

However, Trump is no longer the president — he is a former president.

Politico reported that Chief Justice John Roberts may bow out this time in an effort to keep the court as apolitical as possible.

Although a Roberts spokesman declined to comment on the issue, another Hill source told the publication, "He wants no further part of this."

And in that event Vice President Kamala Harris may end up presiding, given that for impeachments other than the president, either the vice president or a senator serves as presiding officer. That would make the process totally political and unseemly — the current administration going after its predecessor.

4. A Senate trial is shaping up to be a kangaroo court.

Senate Republicans urged their Democratic colleagues to begin trial sometime in mid-February, in order to give the Trump legal defense team a chance to adequately prepare.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., rejected that suggestion and called for a speedy trial beginning February 8, adding that there will be "a full trial, it will be a fair trial."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican, said that an impeachment trial on a president no longer in office would be uncons utional. He added that he predicts victory even if the case is heard on the merits.

"On the facts, they'll be able to mount a defense, so the main thing is to give him a chance to prepare and run the trial orderly, and hopefully the Senate will reject the idea of pursuing presidents after they leave office," Graham said.

5. The evidence doesn't support the article of impeachment.

The impeachment article accuses President Trump of "willfully inciting violence against the Government of the United States" with a speech he delivered to supporters on January 6 "that encouraged — and foreseeably resulted in — imminent lawless action at the Capitol."

However the evidence simply doesn't support the article for at least three reasons.

First, the riot was apparently pre-planned: The president could not have incited something planned well-ahead by others without his involvement. There is clear evidence a crowd began building before Trump even spoke. And The Washington Times reported that "initial court do ents show that at least two suspects arrived on or before Jan. 6 armed with explosives, tactical gear and caches of weapons. Facebook has come under fire for failing to remove "Stop the Steal" pages allegedly used by organizers weeks and even months ahead of the rally."

Second, Trump specifically called for peace: The president predicted that "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." He said of the unconvinced Republicans, "If they don't fight, we have to primary the out of the ones that don't fight. You primary them. We're going to let you know who they are."

Third, authorities failed to protect the Capitol with the most basic of security. Security of the Capitol is the responsibility of the Congress, not the president. On the very day of the riot, questions arose over the Capitol building's lack of security: "How did so many rioters get into this building from so many directions? How was it breached?" Rep. Karen Bass, a California Democrat and House Judiciary Committee member, told ABC News. "You saw people with ropes scaling the building. You [normally] can't even get into this building with a purse." Capitol security and police failed to do the most basic thing as the crowd moved toward the building: lock the doors!

6. A Senate trial would be a colossal waste of time.

Although the House can impeach on a simple majority vote, it takes a two-thirds vote of the Senate to convict. The Senate is currently divided evenly at 50 members each (with independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders caucusing with Democrats).

Even in the event the Democratic caucus holds firm to convict, and GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, and Ben Sasse of Nebraska also vote to convict, they would still be 13 votes shy of what would be needed to convict.

Accordingly, the trial would be just for show, with all the participants knowing full-well what the result would be.

This could very well be their undoing in the long run. Ballotpedia reported that as of January 21, the Congressional approval rating was 13%. Using its time for something that's doomed from the start, and a move that looks more like political payback rather than serious judicial action, may well send those dismal ratings further south.

7. A trial would further divide a very polarized country.

President Biden campaigned for "the soul of the nation," and frequently delivered a message of unity — of bringing the country together. And he mentioned it again during his inaugural address Wednesday.

"On this January day, my whole soul is in this, bringing America together, uniting our people, uniting our nation. And I asked every American to join me in this cause," Biden said. "With unity, we can do great things, important things."

Despite the media spin about Trump's electoral challenge and the riot, President Trump remains very popular, and Rasmussen reported this week that his approval rating rose to 51%. The Rasmussen poll was one of the most accurate polls of the 2020 election.

Continuing with a charade of an impeachment trial would only further divide the country, a fact not lost on the Rev. Franklin Graham.

In an open letter he posted on his Facebook page, Graham asked Biden to call the impeachment off for the good of the nation and in appreciation of the new president's "conciliatory words" that asked "both parties to work together."

"If the Democrats go ahead with pushing for the impeachment of a president who has left office, it would only further divide our nation," Graham wrote

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    olly olly oxen free

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so chuck isn't committing to it, but 2 dems have given mitch assurances. hope they backstab tbh

Thread Information