Page 456 of 474 FirstFirst ... 356406446452453454455456457458459460466 ... LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 11850
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate votes 55-45 to hear witnesses

House prosecutors said they would seek the testimony of Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-Wash.) about her knowledge of a call between the ex-president and House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy as violence escalated at the Capitol on Jan. 6
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...l-day-5-468985

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    This is such a show.

The Dems wanting to call Herrera-Butler as a witness is stupid. Testimony about what McCarthy told you Trump said is hearsay and would get thrown out in court and is just a political stunt. If you want testimony about that conversation you need to call McCarthy himself and put him under oath. If the impeachment managers aren’t going to treat calling witnesses seriously then they should just end the trial now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is such a show.

The Dems wanting to call Herrera-Butler as a witness is stupid. Testimony about what McCarthy told you Trump said is hearsay and would get thrown out in court and is just a political stunt. If you want testimony about that conversation you need to call McCarthy himself and put him under oath. If the impeachment managers aren’t going to treat calling witnesses seriously then they should just end the trial now.
    Do u want me to tell you how this show ends?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Do u want me to tell you how this show ends?
    I’m aware of how this show ends (your boy gets acquitted), that’s why if the impeachment managers want to drag this out, they need to actually be serious about the witnesses they call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They're calling McCarthy, or did I read that wrong?
    Raskin said they just want to call Herrera-Butler which would be pointless. She’s already issued a statement. Unless she was in the room and overheard Trump talking to McCarthy anything she says is hearsay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raskin said they just want to call Herrera-Butler which would be pointless. She’s already issued a statement. Unless she was in the room and overheard Trump talking to McCarthy anything she says is hearsay.
    yeah, kinda hard to see the point of that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At this point it’s all about optics. They’re doing this for the 2022 campaign ads.

They need to depose McCarthy and tuberville and lee get them on record

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    At this point it’s all about optics. They’re doing this for the 2022 campaign ads.

Agreed, and treating this seriously has the best optics, but they can’t waste time either. Just skip to the part where you depose McCarthy/Tuberville and subpoena relevant phone records. It can’t drag on for months; at some point they need to actually confirm Biden’s cabinet and get done so people have a reason to vote for them in ‘22.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see if Lady G's threat to stuff up if witnesses are called is executed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Impeachment is political, Cons ution says Congress can do whatever it has the votes for. No appeal to SCOTUS

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He’d need a senate majority for that. It’s always been a toothless threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the GOP needs this to be over ASAP and like Will H said, where will Graham get the votes?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The solution here is really simple, allow each side to take X amount of depositions for Y amount of hours that must be completed in the next month, and allow for specific do ents and records to be subpoenaed.

The threats Trump’s lawyers are making to call Pelosi and Bowser are re ed bluffs the Democrats should let them follow through on. You don’t call witnesses who think your client is guilty.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Agree that it's pointless but not because it's hearsay. My understanding is that an impeachment trial does not follow the normal rules of evidence of judicial courts. So it doesn't matter if it's hearsay. To me, it's pointless because her testimony is unlikely to change the minds of Republicans the way McCarthy testifying himself might.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The solution here is really simple, allow each side to take X amount of depositions for Y amount of hours that must be completed in the next month, and allow for specific do ents and records to be subpoenaed.

The threats Trump’s lawyers are making to call Pelosi and Bowser are re ed bluffs the Democrats should let them follow through on. You don’t call witnesses who think your client is guilty.

look how stupid the standard r is. They love the idea of calling pelosi and Schumer because they are sure they are guilty, and this will prove it.

Of course the lawyers know it’s all a lie. But the posturing has never been for truth and fact, it’s always been about pleasing Trump.

All of these people need to have Trump stuck to them like that chicks hair. They will win primaries, they will also scare people into participating.

the last election all those r’s that voted against trump, but for cornyn, still wanted to believe they are not the same piece of ducks is. But the more the r’s kiss that ring, there will be no longer any way to deny it. It’s at that point, you might see some change. But not until then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Agree that it's pointless but not because it's hearsay. My understanding is that an impeachment trial does not follow the normal rules of evidence of judicial courts. So it doesn't matter if it's hearsay. To me, it's pointless because her testimony is unlikely to change the minds of Republicans the way McCarthy testifying himself might.
    I’d rather not give Cruz the “it’s hearsay!” Talking point, i know they don’t need to follow the rules of evidence.

McCarthy testifying isn’t going to stop them from using a bull jurisdiction copout either, but it makes them look even worse for acquitting.

The good part of this dragging out is that I think it makes life absolutely miserable for GOP senators. They miss the days of McConnell as maj leader where the senate was in session on average 2 days a week. It could push Grassley and Thune to retire if they’re worried about how miserable another 6 years look.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN just reporting that instead of calling witnesses they will just put the article of the story itself on the record. such lame theater.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    CNN just reporting that instead of calling witnesses they will just put the article of the story itself on the record. such lame theater.
    Not quite, they said they’d stipulate to what Herrera Butler would say, but yeah, equally toothless.

This is why Raskin was stupid to just request Butler, there’s no genuine issue as to what Butler would say. What McCarthy says is the real issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m aware of how this show ends (your boy gets acquitted), that’s why if the impeachment managers want to drag this out, they need to actually be serious about the witnesses they call.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    At some point Democrats also need to just put political considerations aside, accept the fact that Republicans are amoral, and move on to getting done to fix the economy. Once the country is in a better spot they can start holding Benghazi style hearings every other week.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not quite, they said they’d stipulate to what Herrera Butler would say, but yeah, equally toothless.

This is why Raskin was stupid to just request Butler, there’s no genuine issue as to what Butler would say. What McCarthy says is the real issue.
    But I don’t think any unwilling Republican would show up even if subpoenaed. This would go on for months and at that point it’s a bad look for dems as well. Dems will always come up biggest loser in that situation. We know republicans don’t care if they come off as corrupt.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    But I don’t think any unwilling Republican would show up even if subpoenaed. This would go on for months and at that point it’s a bad look for dems as well. Dems will always come up biggest loser in that situation. We know republicans don’t care if they come off as corrupt.
    It would be pretty hard for the house minority leader to duck a subpoena that requires him to show up at the building he already works in.

Thread Information