Page 369 of 474 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 11850
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the happened to this guy?

Florida Republican Matt Gaetz admits Trump’s legal defense was ‘like an 8th grade book report’ — only worse

admitted that President Donald Trump’s team of lawyers weren’t quite the legal eagles that he thinks they might be

Gaetz said that the House presented it like it was going to be on “cable news.”

For many that may be an insult, but it appears to Gaetz that was a compliment.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/flo...rt-only-worse/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rawstory

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN’s Toobin Calls Schiff Argument ‘Dazzling’:

The ‘Second-Best Courtroom Address’ I’ve Ever Heard

. “I thought the way he wove through both the facts of the case and the historical context was really remarkable.”

“It was the second-best courtroom address, since it’s like a courtroom, that I ever heard,

when you consider the volume of information he covered using the video, as I think Jake mentioned earlier, the — you know,

the witness testimony, the do ents, it’s very persuasive stuff, and you know,

if people are listening it’s very hard to imagine that they will think that the Democrats and the house managers are just making this up.

The argument that the president extorted or bribed or whatever criminal term you want to use issue the,

the president of Ukraine to get his political dirt on Joe Biden in return for the $390 million of taxpayer money,

I mean, it’s there if you want to see it,

and the question is if you want to see it.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-toobin-calls-schiff-argument-dazzling-the-second-best-courtroom-address-ive-ever-heard/

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-23-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now, what the is wrong with LG?

Lindsey Graham Pals With Adam Schiff Post Impeachment:

‘Very Well Spoken’

Friendly words were exchanged by Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) to Lead House Impeachment Manager Adam Schiff (D-CA) late Wednesday night after Day Two of impeachment hearings commenced in the U.S. Senate.

“Good job, you’re very well spoken,” Graham reportedly stated to Schiff.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/lindsey-graham-pals-with-adam-schiff-post-impeachment-very-well-spoken/

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're asking the wrong question. Look what was the claim (in bold) vs what you're asking/derived from it. See the difference?

But to answer your unrelated question, Charles Kupperman was one. Mick Mulvaney was another. There's also a plethora of do ent requests from the WH, the Secretary of State, the Defense Department and the OMB which were plainly ignored.
    He knows they are doing everything they can not to get people in the WH before the Senate.
    The blue team has the do ents and if the WH players come before the Senate and are forced to retract and lie it’s gonna be really bad. Or, tell the truth.

Its a loss either way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN’s Toobin Calls Schiff Argument ‘Dazzling’:

Toobin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never once claimed Trump has some kind of unqualified privilege, I said Trump has the right to ask the courts to rule on his executive privilege. I really hate when lawyers make up.
    But he does have a privilege. That's what the bolded is. There's plenty of jurisprudence on what that privilege covers and what it does not (as vy was kind enough to reference).

You're saying he has to go to court to ask the judiciary if he can use that privilege. He doesn't. The sole reason to go to the courts is to 1) stonewall, 2) test the limits of House subpoenas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, did they acquit yet, tbh? I haven't been following the dog and pony show.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now, what the is wrong with LG?

Lindsey Graham Pals With Adam Schiff Post Impeachment:

‘Very Well Spoken’

Friendly words were exchanged by Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) to Lead House Impeachment Manager Adam Schiff (D-CA) late Wednesday night after Day Two of impeachment hearings commenced in the U.S. Senate.

“Good job, you’re very well spoken,” Graham reportedly stated to Schiff.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/lindsey-graham-pals-with-adam-schiff-post-impeachment-very-well-spoken/

The red team is not allowed to appreciate skills without a hissy fit.
    You must admit McConnell is very good at what he does even though you hate him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, did they acquit yet, tbh? I haven't been following the dog and pony show.
    Could be over as soon as Feb 4.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/31/78723...ial-could-work

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adam Schiff Makes GOP Senators Squirm With Video Of Trump Asking China And Ukraine For Election Help

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01/22/adam-schiff-makes-gop-senators-squirm-with-video-of-trump-asking-china-and-ukraine-for-election-help.html

Repug Roberts did not enforce the rules on the lawless Repugs who walked out.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Adam Schiff Makes GOP Senators Squirm With Video Of Trump Asking China And Ukraine For Election Help

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01/22/adam-schiff-makes-gop-senators-squirm-with-video-of-trump-asking-china-and-ukraine-for-election-help.html

Repug Roberts did not enforce the rules on the lawless Repugs who walked out.

lawless Feinstein

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Well, no, not really. Congress clearly never made the argument that the executive doesn't have that right. As a matter of fact, they appeared in court. That doesn't mean that the executive actually directing certain employees not to comply with subpoenas isn't obstruction of Congress.
    Yeah I think I’m going to go with the Attorneys General of 21 states over what you, vy, or pencil neck Schiff claim.

Page 7 directly addresses the bolded

https://www.scribd.com/do ent/4439...hment-Articles

Also addressed here

Skip to 3:20

And here

https://www.scribd.com/do ent/4437...ity-01-19-2020

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I think I’m going to go with the Attorneys General of 21 states over what you, vy, or pencil neck Schiff claim.

Page 7 directly addresses the bolded

https://www.scribd.com/do ent/4439...hment-Articles

Also addressed here

Skip to 3:20

And here

https://www.scribd.com/do ent/4437...ity-01-19-2020
    I read the first do ent, from the Republican States' AGs (lol), and they actually don't contradict what I said and you bolded at all. They simply predicate that as a judicial matter, which this is not.

They argue that the Obstruction of Congress charge is deficient because, and I quote: "Also notably absent in Article II is any mention that the subpoenas were defied on the basis of the President’s invocation of executive privilege".

That's correct for a judicial process. This is a political process. Unlike regular Congressional investigations which might involve a person, and eventually evolve into a referral into a criminal case to the DOJ, this was an impeachment investigation, which is political, and ends up in a political trial in Congress. The judiciary doesn't enter the picture (other that John Roberts acting as a glorified moderator).

Impeachment would be simply meaningless if Congress cannot carry out it's duty to investigate the Executive, gathering any relevant evidence. This is very basic. It's also clear, just as it was with Nixon and Clinton, that the Executive will fight tooth and nail to prevent Congress from finding the bodies, but that is besides the point.

The notion that the Executive has a right to hide any and all evidence of wrongdoing from Congress while it's being investigated for wrongdoing, simply defies the very purpose of impeachment. We might as well erase it from the Cons ution, since the powers delegated by it to a given branch of government are impossible to carry out.

We can agree or disagree whether these political processes are 'fair' or not (I'm hearing the ing now about the rules in the Senate from the left, it was the House rules before them on the right, etc), but it's what the Cons ution defined.

Sure, we all know how the partisan math works, and that he'll be acquitted and walk away from this. I just find it odd that he wouldn't be willing to share all that evidence for a perfect call and the witnesses that can speak to his innocence in this matter. But hey, we're all paying for his great lawyers, so this is probably what they recommended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counselor TSA is fond of arguing points of law, still doesn't seem to get that such arguments are misplaced in the context of impeachment, which isn't a judicial process, but a purely political one.

Criminal definitions.procedure and legal opinions do not apply.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The red team is not allowed to appreciate skills without a hissy fit.
    You must admit McConnell is very good at what he does even though you hate him.
    Moscow is excellent at playing hardass (legal) Cons itonalism, ing up the Senate, insulting the Senate, breaking every rule, protocol, convention to maintain and grab power while denying everything to the "illegit" Dems.

HATED MB has done much more damage to America than Trash, with his herding through dozens of young, inexperienced, BIASED, incompetent, ABA-disapproved hard right political tools in Federal judicial roles. The damage they will do to USA will last decades, long after Trash and MB are rotting away.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I read the first do ent, from the Republican States' AGs (lol), and they actually don't contradict what I said and you bolded at all. They simply predicate that as a judicial matter, which this is not.

They argue that the Obstruction of Congress charge is deficient because, and I quote: "Also notably absent in Article II is any mention that the subpoenas were defied on the basis of the President’s invocation of executive privilege".

That's correct for a judicial process. This is a political process. Unlike regular Congressional investigations which might involve a person, and eventually evolve into a referral into a criminal case to the DOJ, this was an impeachment investigation, which is political, and ends up in a political trial in Congress. The judiciary doesn't enter the picture (other that John Roberts acting as a glorified moderator).

Impeachment would be simply meaningless if Congress cannot carry out it's duty to investigate the Executive, gathering any relevant evidence. This is very basic. It's also clear, just as it was with Nixon and Clinton, that the Executive will fight tooth and nail to prevent Congress from finding the bodies, but that is besides the point.

The notion that the Executive has a right to hide any and all evidence of wrongdoing from Congress while it's being investigated for wrongdoing, simply defies the very purpose of impeachment. We might as well erase it from the Cons ution, since the powers delegated by it to a given branch of government are impossible to carry out.

We can agree or disagree whether these political processes are 'fair' or not (I'm hearing the ing now about the rules in the Senate from the left, it was the House rules before them on the right, etc), but it's what the Cons ution defined.

Sure, we all know how the partisan math works, and that he'll be acquitted and walk away from this. I just find it odd that he wouldn't be willing to share all that evidence for a perfect call and the witnesses that can speak to his innocence in this matter. But hey, we're all paying for his great lawyers, so this is probably what they recommended.
    Please watch the linked video as it directly addresses the “subpoenas” in question. Philbin argues they were merely requests and held no enforcement authority because there was no authorizing house vote per the Cons ution. OLC said the same and that is also linked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please watch the linked video as it directly addresses the “subpoenas” in question. Philbin argues they were merely requests and held no enforcement authority because there was no authorizing house vote per the Cons ution. OLC said the same and that is also linked.
    Legal arguments have purely hortatory value in the context of impeachment.

An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives says is impeachable; removal is effective upon a 2/3 vote of the Senate, which is free to adopt any legal reasoning it sees fit, or none at all.

Andrew Johnson was impeached among other things for "intemperate language" related to the US Congress. Kinda weak, admittedly, but in principle it could happen again -- nothing would restrain it but the forseeable political consequences.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 01-23-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now subpoenas aren't real subpoenas the are just requests that can be ignored with consequences?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now subpoenas aren't real subpoenas the are just requests that can be ignored with consequences?

If the party served disagrees, it can ignore, the argument seems to go.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have that Schiff quote yet? Maybe don't scoff at other people's sources after parrotting fake news on the previous page.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have that Schiff quote yet? Maybe don't scoff at other people's sources after parrotting fake news on the previous page.

Caller: Yes, absolutely. And she got compromising materials on Trump after their short relations.

Schiff: Okay. And what’s the nature of the Kompromat?

Caller: Well, there were pictures of naked Trump.

Schiff: Well, I’ll be in touch with the FBI about this. And we’ll make arrangements with your staff. I think it probably would be best to provide these materials both to our committee and to the FBI. So we’ll make arrangements between my staff and yours on how to facilitate that. And we’ll also obviously let the FBI know about Buzova and Sobchak’s plans to travel to Ukraine.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a quote where Schiff specifically asks for the photos or the Kompromat. You have one quote where the caller states that the Kompromat involves naked photos, and then you've pulled another from minutes later in the call where Schiff is expressing interest in recordings of the discussion of Kompromat between Bozova and Sobchak for the purposes of blackmail.

It's a nice try at a clever edit, but it's obvious that you've already figured out that you accepted a false narrative.

If you're still not convinced, maybe take 8 minutes out of your busy schedule to listen to the phone call.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 01-23-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New poll reveals 57 percent of likely voters want Trump removed

a Microsoft News poll finds that 57 percent of likely voters support removing him from office.

The poll found that 57 percent support a Senate vote for removal, and just 37 percent oppose.

Not surprisingly, there are huge differences on the vote by party.

93% of Democrats support removing Trump from office,

along with 67 percent of independents and

15 percent of Republicans.

Hispanics and African Americans strongly support removal from office,

at 78 percent of Hispanics and

77 percent of African Americans.

Among whites, just 52 percent back removal.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/22/1913357/-New-poll-reveals-57-percent-want-Trump-removed?detail=emaildkre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a quote where Schiff specifically asks for the photos or the Kompromat. You have one quote where the caller states that the Kompromat involves naked photos, and then you've pulled another from minutes later in the call where Schiff is expressing interest in recordings of the discussion of Kompromat between Bozova and Sobchak for the purposes of blackmail.

It's a nice try at a clever edit, but it's obvious that you've already figured out that you accepted a false narrative.

If you're still not convinced, maybe take 8 minutes out of your busy schedule to listen to the phone call.

Meh, he was all too happy to get dirt on his political opponent from a foreign govt.

And he's the lead impeachment manager

Thread Information