My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still here, es!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is slow as fuk now, can not guard quick guards any longer.... aging pretty badly imo.... sucked in FIBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is slow as fuk now, can not guard quick guards any longer.... aging pretty badly imo.... sucked in FIBA
    He never stopped anyone even when he was younger tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last season he was often the most efficient player on the floor for the best second unit in the league. He'll play less but with Bertans gone he is still the only real threat from 3pt range that we have.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just read a Fansided article about how the young guys will have to earn their minutes over Belli. Like it will be that difficult....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just read a Fansided article about how the young guys will have to earn their minutes over Belli. Like it will be that difficult....
    If they can't hit the three they will ride the pine.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last season he was often the most efficient player on the floor for the best second unit in the league. He'll play less but with Bertans gone he is still the only real threat from 3pt range that we have.

That right there. Can't be ignored. Until there is a better option from 3P, Belli will get his share of floor time. But Belli isn't nearly as good of a shooter as Bertans was.

I am hopeful that Keldon Johnson can replace him. That's pretty optimistic, as a rookie. Belli has a lot of years of NBA experience. But I think Johnson will be superior in just about every other way. I hope he gets some solid minutes, so he'll be ready for next year and the Spurs can shed Belli.

Edit: And before anyone jumps in and tells me that Belli's contract is up this year - yes, I know. And if the Spurs can't come up with anyone better, they'll re-sign his slow ass.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 10-04-2019 at 09:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hopeful that Keldon Johnson can replace him. That's pretty optimistic, as a rookie. Belli has a lot of years of NBA experience. But I think Johnson will be superior in just about every other way. I hope he gets some solid minutes, so he'll be ready for next year and the Spurs can shed Belli.
    Keldon will play big minutes and contribute a lot this season.

In Austin.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon will play big minutes and contribute a lot this season.

In Austin.

You may be right. But Belli can't defend for - we all know that. Johnson has a very similar build, and I think he's already stronger than Belli (definitely stronger than Belli was at the same age), and we've seen that he's able to play physical. So I'm not sure there would be a whole lot of drop-off on D if Keldon Johnson were on the floor in his place.

Belli hits 3's, but if you look at his career, he's only had an outstanding 3P% a couple of seasons. One of those was when he was with the Spurs the first time, and they let him go. He shoots those off-balance circus shots, and everyone remembers the ones that fall because they're... well, circus shots. But he also misses a load of them, or his 3P% would be a lot higher. I think Johnson has a better stroke, but Belli is obviously going to have an edge in creating space against NBA defenders.

My point is that I hope Pop throws him into the fire some this season. He'll benefit from time in Austin, but I think the team benefits if he gets floor time against higher level compe ion. And I'd like to see him get a chance to show what he can do. I hate thinking about the Spurs being this dependent on Marco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    M.
    V.
    P.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker will compete with him for minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker will compete with him for minutes
    Truth is I'm hoping Walker's maturation process is to the point that Belli can cheer from the sidelines, and come in a crucial playoff game to hit a couple of long threes, a la Steve Kerr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth is I'm hoping Walker's maturation process is to the point that Belli can cheer from the sidelines, and come in a crucial playoff game to hit a couple of long threes, a la Steve Kerr.
    Methinks he will be more in the '02 Steve Smith role this year. The one shooter we desperately need but is too TOSB to matter (besides Mills/Forbes who, combined will be like '02 Terry Porter, getting abused until they get benched for Murray/White -- our '02 Antonio Daniels ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ferrari

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the ideal scenario

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Walker can’t beat out Marco for more minutes this season that’s a serious problem. So hopefully Lonnie proves to be the better player not because Marco completely fell off but because he has improved and is actually the better player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Walker can’t beat out Marco for more minutes this season that’s a serious problem. So hopefully Lonnie proves to be the better player not because Marco completely fell off but because he has improved and is actually the better player
    Lonnie not getting minutes over Marco would be worrying but not necessarily an indictment on Lonnie. It could be a necessary evil to get a decent three point shooter on the court besides Forbes. That scenario would be more of an indictment on the currently constructed team. But let's see how things play out.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    belli is the only guy who can shoot 3s, hes much more worth than u guys think. focus ur attention on other worse players in our roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    belli is the only guy who can shoot 3s, hes much more worth than u guys think. focus ur attention on other worse players in our roster
    His worth is sitting on the bench. This isn’t 2013 anymore

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Belli seems to only be able to make a 3 when he’s leaning.. if he’s set then he’s gonna brick it just like he did last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Belli seems to only be able to make a 3 when he’s leaning.. if he’s set then he’s gonna brick it just like he did last night.
    Factually incorrect. He made at least a couple 3s in the 3 pt shootout he won without leaning

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Factually incorrect. He made at least a couple 3s in the 3 pt shootout he won without leaning
    The crazy thing is that was before I think he started leaning. It was like 2 years later. Seemed like he used an offseason with the goal of “if I can make leaning shots I’d be unstoppable” as his mentality and took it from there haha. I didn’t notice he leaned so hard on shots until the playoff series against the Heat when he was with the Sixers. The year before he joined us again. It seriously seems like he sacrificed everything to hit leaning jumpers

Thread Information