Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if White having taken such a back seat passive role on team USA hasn’t been detrimental and hurt his confidence. Not sure playing for them has ultimately been beneficial.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't believe in White until he proved me wrong, and I hadn't watched him get his pocket picked in consecutive possessions or shoot like he doesn't know how to like I've seen Murray.

I'll consider White the better basketball player and Murray the best pure athlete until I see Murray prove otherwise in real games.

And I'll of course hope both of them turned out great.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't believe in White until he proved me wrong, and I hadn't watched him get his pocket picked in consecutive possessions or shoot like he doesn't know how to like I've seen Murray.

I'll consider White the better basketball player and Murray the best pure athlete until I see Murray prove otherwise in real games.

And I'll of course hope both of them turned out great.
    Tha stuff you mentioned about Murray happened three years ago!! When he played his last healthy season he wasn't getting his pocket picked. Shooting yes that was a concern coming into this season but the whole ball security thing hasn't been an issue since his rookie year.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tha stuff you mentioned about Murray happened three years ago!! When he played his last healthy season he wasn't getting his pocket picked. Shooting yes that was a concern coming into this season but the whole ball security thing hasn't been an issue since his rookie year.
    You're probably right, but I still haven't forgotten

The thing here is that he's a PG, and his shooting was so bad I wondered who taught him how to shoot. He also seemed promising but not as a PG to me.

In any case I'll be happy to see him improve. Really looking forward to see what he's got in actual season games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with White is when things don't go his way, he hasn't shown the mental toughness to fight through it. His physical skills are very good but he needs to work on his mental makeup, which I'm not sure you can improve that aspect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still recovering. And White was towel waiving most games, tbh.
    White was an affirmative action addition to Team USA tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my humble opinion, I don't think that DW4 has had the opportunity over the summer to really concentrate on working on needed aspects of his game such as his shooting, etc., due to his commitment with FIBA. Although he was playing basketball, it was all centered on team practice, game preparations & shoot-a-rounds. In some ways, the FIBA experience may have had some benefits to it, ie: playing organized team basketball, etc., but I think that if he would have spent more time this summer to hone in on his shooting, etc., we may be seeing an improved White this season.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    If things don't work out Derrick White is welcome to join the Clippers. Come home, brother

He's from LA right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my humble opinion, I don't think that DW4 has had the opportunity over the summer to really concentrate on working on needed aspects of his game such as his shooting, etc., due to his commitment with FIBA. Although he was playing basketball, it was all centered on team practice, game preparations & shoot-a-rounds. In some ways, the FIBA experience may have had some benefits to it, ie: playing organized team basketball, etc., but I think that if he would have spent more time this summer to hone in on his shooting, etc., we may be seeing an improved White this season.
    Before I say this I’m not coming at your opinion but more like adding to this statement:

If this is truly the case for DWhite then it can be said that’s it’s hard to bash the players who dropped out. Maybe they felt they couldn’t improve the way they wanted to this summer if they were confined to the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with White is when things don't go his way, he hasn't shown the mental toughness to fight through it. His physical skills are very good but he needs to work on his mental makeup, which I'm not sure you can improve that aspect.
    Of course that can improve, dip .

But it's harder to improve that when you get benched for an inferior player in a Game 7, demoted for an unproven guy, and get no respect from refs, media, or casual fans. He is arguably the most slept on player in the league, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dude is at his best when he knows he belongs. Look at last year with IB out, or when he was still on the Select Team, or the GLeague. Which is why its annoying that even his own damn team and fans do/say things that could affect his confidence.

He'll take what's his eventually but noone seems to be helping him along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yet people always say Derrick is sneaky athletic and was one of the best athletes at the draft combine. To me he still looks slow when driving to the rim. Got blocked a lot on drives to the hoop last year
    I think that has to do with his first step... basically he may be a great athlete overall but not elite on that first step and thus cannot get separation, specially if his jumpshot isn't falling and they play off him a little. I have to say I do expect him to look better and get over this slow start.

His role may be changing and he maybe has trouble adapting. I am not really sure about FkLA raising the "confidence" issues and I hope it's just a streaky shooting spell. He needs his jumpshot to be respected to create some space for himself other ways too.

I am a Murray fan, but I appreciate White as well... I don't really get all this player fan hating on players in the same team. I suppose there are some trolls, but for other fans it simply keeps things interesting to have this compe ion. For me, I want White to snap out of it. Team needs him to play well. Others too, but since this is about DWhite... I hope he s on some of his haters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    things like that definitely reflect on shooters. It affected Forbes, he needed a lot of trust from the coach even when he didn't look all that good his first couple of years to build his confidence. Some shooters like Davis Bertans have said that he always thinks his shots go in and if he misses a lot early in the game it only increases the odds of him catching fire. I am not sure Derrick has that mamba mentality, nor that it is encouraged, but bench players need to be impactful right away. They don't have a lot of minutes to settle into a game and go with the flow to speak. This is all from comments I have seen over the years from Manu and other bench leaders. He may be struggling in a new role. I hope he snaps out of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people thinks White has to be a sort of Manu in a Manu role from the bench...imho he is best suited for a starting role while DJM is better suited for a bench role a la Manu.
    White is obviously the better play maker and team player. He makes LMA better giving him the ball in the right time and in the right places. Still shoots better than DJM (not in these last days) and can defend. On the opposite, DJm can give the team exactly what Manu gave in his days...energy, Hustle, Defense and change of pace. He's also better suited for playing with players better suited for a role from the bench (small guards like Mills or Forbes).
    Imho patfo is also making a big mistake these days...just for let DJM feel more confortable.
    White deserved the starting role for what he did last year...and DJM was best suited for a big role from the bench after a full year out.
    Also, after we gave away Bertans (another big mistake, because of the best four 3 point shooters we had, aka Beli, Forbes, Mills and Him, he was the one with most future potential as an important nba player), its definitevely time to se if our other big project (Walker) is or not the player he was supposed to be...at the point that last year he was projected to play a big amount of minutes just before his injury.

imho the startin line up should be White - Walker - DDR - x (Carroll? Lyles?) - LMA
    bench DJM - Forbes (Mills/QW) - Belli (KJ) Gay Poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course that can improve, dip .

But it's harder to improve that when you get benched for an inferior player in a Game 7, demoted for an unproven guy, and get no respect from refs, media, or casual fans. He is arguably the most slept on player in the league, tbh.
    Right on point.

Although I am not sure the game-7 benching wasn't beneficial to him. We would have probably lost anyway (well, he could have been guarding Murray, that's true...) and he would have been pointed at as the culprit. Nevertheless, he earned the starting spot to open the season.

Thread Information