My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College athletes can't earn a dime while they deliver millions to their schools. It's called a monopsony, and it's cracking.
    The State of California agreed, and on September 30, Governor Gavin Newsom signed the Fair Pay to Play Act, which for the first time will permit college athletes to earn money from endorsement deals. It also prohibits the NCAA—which pulled in an unprecedented $1.6 billion in 2017—- from barring a university from compe ion in retaliation.
    https://www.theamericanconservative....e-wage-cartel/

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have a good ideal on what will replace it.

Because I dont think anyone does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have a good ideal on what will replace it.

Because I dont think anyone does.
    WE'VE TRIED NOTHING AND WE'RE ALL OUT OF IDEAS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think of Cali's idea?

Letting student athletes make money from their names and likenesses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think of Cali's idea?

Letting student athletes make money from their names and likenesses.
    I think its going to lead to a giant mess. One scholarship kid could make a huge amount of money while another could make nil. And they are on the same team.
    I think agents will certainly enter the fray and get kids who have good seasons in HS or college to set up contracts from different schools to compete against each other. With transferring as it exists now you will have a constant flux of agents in bidding wars with athletic directors, I can continue on and on, its not well thought out. I dont like some NCAA bureaucrat sitting in an office getting paid while adults watch kids entertain them, but I understand the need for equity on the college level as far as money goes. Tip of a large messy iceberg.

Other wise open the door see what happens, and watch minor league pro ball begin but with out a draft. I dont think the sports market will sustain both in formats so similar... So gone. I dont watch pro ball anymore and will certainly not watch something like this associated with college. Yes its dirty, yes its far from perfect and needs changing, but this has NOT by any means been well thought aout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens to the sports that don't make money now? just curious. cant see how a college fencing team can support $28k a year scholarships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens to the sports that don't make money now? just curious. cant see how a college fencing team can support $28k a year scholarships.
    Why would college fencing matter? These people will be making fences anyhow once they graduate with their liberal arts degrees. Probably doing some sod work as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of many problems.

What happens to le IX?
    Does it now have to include distributed wages from other individuals?
    Girls golf team can expect more than a scholarship at a big school, but not a school that lacks football and especially star football players?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the problem. The schools aren't going to be paying athletes. The athletes are now just allowed to do things like sign shoe contracts, appear in commercials, sell autographs, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the problem. The schools aren't going to be paying athletes. The athletes are now just allowed to do things like sign shoe contracts, appear in commercials, sell autographs, etc.
    agreed. They are not being paid to play, but paid because of their playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would college fencing matter? These people will be making fences anyhow once they graduate with their liberal arts degrees. Probably doing some sod work as well.
    If be fine if fencing scholarships and bowling scholarships went away completely. Was just curious since I think the football profits subsidize the other athletics. Certainly wouldn't want my tuition money subsidizing someone's bowling scholarship although maybe it does already

Oh, ok. I'm barely following this story at all lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao. I misread this first time somehow lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll get eliminated just like sh** got eliminated cos of le IX.

Thread Information