Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got 11 million reasons to stay mum on the topic. How many of you would risk that just to say Hong Kong shouldn't honor their contract with China...albeit a sh!tty one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably found out that Bryn is half Chinese or something.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing idiot morey Twitter activism about to cost his team and the league hundreds of billions of dollars

No. Just no. I don't know what the NBA's total revenue was this past season, but in 2018 it was $8B. That's total money taken in, not profit. So, no, even if China were to cut off the NBA completely, it won't be a loss of hundreds of billions. You mental ing midget.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Popob1tch is a coward with no integrity just like every other social justice warriors in the NBA. Not surprising at all. If Tim Duncan didn’t exist he would never be relevant, wasn’t he close to getting fired before Tim GOATcan saved his sorry ass
    Last edited by Yogatti; 10-08-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China is one of the most repressive regimes whereas the US is one of the freest nations in the world but Americans consistently whine about how bad they have it. I don't expect Pop or any of the star players to say a peep about China's human rights record or the situation in Hong Kong. They are quick to jump all over Trump because it's convenient and doesn't cost them anything but when true injustice occurs, they are silent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a coward.
    Last edited by RGMCSE; 10-08-2019 at 01:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    daryl morey isn't being prosecuted for his comments. that's freedom of speech. if the NBA wants to prioritize its bottom line, it can do that. freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequence
    You do realize that the NBA couldn't exist without an anti-trust exemption? So by your theory, if Silver says something the government doesn't like, they could just cut off the exemption to "prioritize our national bottom line". Silver could still say whatever he wants, so it doesn't violate his freedom of speech. We would just make it so expensive that he couldn't afford to.

"You can say whatever you want, but if you say something we don't like, we will bankrupt you." You can call that kind of move whatever you want to, but the bottom line is that only one political point of view gets expressed, and that is the exact thing the First Amendment was created to prevent. China censors the out of people in their country, and now they are trying to keep someone in this country from expressing an idea that they don't like. And some of you little muppets think that's okay.

The fact is, Silver actually did stand up for freedom of speech for its employees. And the OP's observation about Pop is well founded. He considers himself an advocate for what is "right" all the time. He should be the first to stand up for the fundamental freedom to express oneself, even if he doesn't agree with the comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Just no. I don't know what the NBA's total revenue was this past season, but in 2018 it was $8B. That's total money taken in, not profit. So, no, even if China were to cut off the NBA completely, it won't be a loss of hundreds of billions. You mental ing midget.
    break out the calculator lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that the NBA couldn't exist without an anti-trust exemption? So by your theory, if Silver says something the government doesn't like, they could just cut off the exemption to "prioritize our national bottom line". Silver could still say whatever he wants, so it doesn't violate his freedom of speech. We would just make it so expensive that he couldn't afford to.

"You can say whatever you want, but if you say something we don't like, we will bankrupt you." You can call that kind of move whatever you want to, but the bottom line is that only one political point of view gets expressed, and that is the exact thing the First Amendment was created to prevent. China censors the out of people in their country, and now they are trying to keep someone in this country from expressing an idea that they don't like. And some of you little muppets think that's okay.

The fact is, Silver actually did stand up for freedom of speech for its employees. And the OP's observation about Pop is well founded. He considers himself an advocate for what is "right" all the time. He should be the first to stand up for the fundamental freedom to express oneself, even if he doesn't agree with the comment.
    i'm just saying what "free speech" actually means with respect to the cons ution

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has a member of media ask him publicly yet?

He seeks out the media when there's a message that he wants to spout. And they are always ready to put a microphone in front of him. There's nothing more fundamental than freedom of expression, and he ought to be using his big microphone to say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China is one of the most repressive regimes whereas the US is one of the freest nations in the world but Americans consistently whine about how bad they have it. I don't expect Pop or any of the star players to say a peep about China's human rights record or the situation in Hong Kong. They are quick to jump all over Trump because it's convenient and doesn't cost them anything but when true injustice occurs, they are silent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm just saying what "free speech" actually means with respect to the cons ution

It doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want, but we'll punish the out of you if you say something we don't like.

How about if someone were to go to a Gay Pride parade, and their employer fired them for it? Maybe contact other employers to blackball them? "You can say and do whatever you want, but because we control the money, we'll starve you out if you step out of line." Do you think that sort of thing has a chilling effect on free speech, freedom of expression? Don't even bother. You know the answer.

The Cons ution doesn't say jack about that, directly. But when the intent is to totally silence one whole side of an issue, it's not what 1A intended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far... good for Silver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want, but we'll punish the out of you if you say something we don't like.

How about if someone were to go to a Gay Pride parade, and their employer fired them for it? Maybe contact other employers to blackball them? "You can say and do whatever you want, but because we control the money, we'll starve you out if you step out of line." Do you think that sort of thing has a chilling effect on free speech, freedom of expression? Don't even bother. You know the answer.

The Cons ution doesn't say jack about that, directly. But when the intent is to totally silence one whole side of an issue, it's not what 1A intended.
    And in that same breath, the company that fires the employee for going to a Gay Pride parade will have to suffer whatever backlash/boycott from that community and others, as a result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the cons ution only refers to state action. private employers arent within its scope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And in that same breath, the company that fires the employee for going to a Gay Pride parade will have to suffer whatever backlash/boycott from that community and others, as a result.
    yup. free speech is about the preservation of the marketplace of ideas, not to promote or dissuade certain viewpoints

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again I say...we can't use the term "owner" now because somehow that inspires a plantation mentality, but players/coaches/NBA is silent about China using dissidents to harvest organs because there is too much money at stake.

I understand not wanting to meddle in another's business. I don't think players/coaches need to opine on whether England should be part of the EU. But when outspoken people are silent about concentration camp behavior, then you have to question how "woke" they really are. We turned a blind eye before WWII as well because it was inconvenient to call out the Nazis. What China is doing to dissidents is on that level. And through money, they are telling us what movies can say and what entertainers can say. Kudos for South Park for calling them out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson joining Rachel Nichols and RJ from Shanghai right now on The Jump

Meh never mind didn’t talk about China situation. Not surprising
    Last edited by Beartrucci; 10-08-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These guys are such cowards. They are experts on gun control and how government should run but now they plea ignorance on the China situation. So convenient.

Also, when the media anointed Kapernick a civil rights leader, they were so quick to comment but where are they now. Being able to play football verse being jailed for your political beliefs is not even comparable.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/outspok...043403491.html

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    should we not criticize the US government if we ever bought a product made in the US? i dont understand this
    It's just funny tbh. I don't even see anyone here actually criticizing the Chinese government -- they're just looking for another excuse to criticize Pop and black men.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just funny tbh. I don't even see anyone here actually criticizing the Chinese government -- they're just looking for another excuse to criticize Pop.
    it’s just funny how sanctimonious pop is about every issue du jour but keeps his mouth shut on something remotely uncomfortable. not everything is as easy as ORANGE MAN BAD

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just funny tbh. I don't even see anyone here actually criticizing the Chinese government -- they're just looking for another excuse to criticize Pop and black men.
    See topic of thread. This is about Pop. Start a China thread and start defending the Chinese government and you'll get your dissent. This isn't a racism thread, which is a red herring, it's a hypocrisy thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol same people calling Pop a coward for not chiming in on China are the same that say he should keep his mouth shut and focus on basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First part of sentence agree but „USA one of the freest? „ From european perspective sounds very funny.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    it’s just funny how sanctimonious pop is about every issue du jour but keeps his mouth shut on something remotely uncomfortable. not everything is as easy as ORANGE MAN BAD
    Case in point.

Thread Information