Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    See topic of thread. This is about Pop. Start a China thread and start defending the Chinese government and you'll get your dissent. This isn't a racism thread, which is a red herring, it's a hypocrisy thread.
    The people criticizing Pop and the black men are certainly showing their hypocrisy.

Good job!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The people criticizing Pop and the black men are certainly showing their hypocrisy.

Good job!
    So are the people looking the other way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol same people calling Pop a coward for not chiming in on China are the same that say he should keep his mouth shut and focus on basketball.
    I think it's more, if you are going to open your mouth, be consistent. I think Kerr is the one that really has egg on his face. He's acting like he's never heard of China oppressing its dissidents. China has been doing this for years and years. Kerr's dad was a diplomat (tragically killed in his service), so I can't imagine Kerr not knowing what is going on in China.

That said, it is true that as much as we as Americans will complain about China, we still buy there stuff and allow our government to borrow money from them.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So are the people looking the other way.
    Well, on what other foreign civil conflicts not involving the US have Pop and the black men taken a public stand?

Do you expect them to comment on every single one?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Pop supposed to say about China? It's not his ing country.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ultimately a weird hill to demand American black men and NBA coaches die upon.

We fully support the protests demanding Chinese criminals in China not be extradited to...[checks notes]...China.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, on what other foreign civil conflicts not involving the US have Pop and the black men taken a public stand?

Do you expect them to comment on every single one?
    I do when they have a direct financial interest and the country has concentration camps.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0FehMH4r6E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_wgTXI5dA

I'm a Spurs fan from Hong Kong and usually read more than I post.

We have been protesting since early June against the extradition bill. The initial message wasn't even for independence, but simply objection to a law which would have severely encroach on our civil liberties. There was a weekend where two million people came out for a peaceful march which was ignored by the government.

What started off as peaceful protests were met with violent clashes with the police trying to suppress the message. While I don't condone the violence, I see how the government pushes these protestors to this point with the police instigating the situation with the generous use of tear gas and pepper spray. Keep in mind these are almost all high school and university students in the forefront who are getting beaten and arrested. It's terrifying seeing the city become the police authoritarian state which the western world fears.

I respect Morey for speaking up, but it's just a shame he took it down right away. As a resident of Hong Kong we would love to see the NBA take a firm stance on what they believe in, free speech without a fear of repercussions. If they can allow for players to speak about black lives matter openly, the same should be done for supporting Hong Kong without the fear of the Chinese Communist party pulling the plug. It's definitely difficult to swallow the fact that money speaks louder than morals and principles.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I do when they have a direct financial interest and the country has concentration camps.
    Pop has no direct financial interest in China.

Joe Tsai has a direct financial interest in China and you see what he wrote -- well you probably didn't. Who am I kidding?
    Last edited by Pavlov; 10-08-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ultimately a weird hill to demand American black men and NBA coaches die upon.

We fully support the protests demanding Chinese criminals in China not be extradited to...[checks notes]...China.
    For using the term "American black men" as opposed to the far more commonly referred to and ignorant "African-American" (funny, I've never heard the term European-American; I guess I missed when they were indigenous to the land).

We've had our basketball related "battles" over the years, but for someone who comes off as a white, middle aged curmudgeon, you're surprisingly "woke".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cucked reply tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For using the term "American black men" as opposed to the far more commonly referred to and ignorant "African-American" (funny, I've never heard the term European-American and I missed when they were indigenous to the land).

We've had our basketball related "battles" over the years, but for someone who comes off as a white, middle aged curmudgeon, you're surprisingly "woke".
    Whenever I say "lol white people" I'm including myself. The best white men can hope for is to not be completely ignorant about what is going on with other groups.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You certainly haven't refuted the argument tbh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    pop will comment on it. will probably call it a complicated situation (which it is) and probably go further than that.

i don’t think he’s been asked about it by the media yet...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    but yeah, super sad / lame all these american businesses care so much about $$$ over human rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is the US & it's allies have tried to overthrow dozens of regimes over the past 70 years trying to impart their democracy on countries that simply weren't ready for it. The countries wound up more destablised than with their existing Autocratic leaders in charge & contributed to the deaths of millions & millions of people. It's pretty hard to lecture other countries on human rights & freedom of expression when this is your track record.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    with all that being said... china didn’t just start being inhumane...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    @ harden apologizing for morey. pu$$y. morey shouldn’t have deleted his tweet but i’m sure he could feel the pressure from the rockets owner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if Pop is asked he will comment on the situation. I don’t expect him to go as in-depth on the issue as he does with stuff that happens in the USA but I don’t think he would completely go PC with his response.

I definitely understand the viewpoint of some folks trying to call folks hypocrites because it has been known that China political and human rights ideologies are a bit stricter than the USA.

I also know that a lot of Americans didn’t or don’t realize how strict it is in other countries compared to the USA so it’s kind of disingenuous for people to be quick to label some who haven’t spoken out yet because they aren’t as knowledgeable on the facts of the situation being discussed.

I mean it isn't like Morey was openly speaking up about the issues going on in the USA before he tweeted about Hong Kong but that wasn’t used to invalidate what he tweeted about Hong Kong

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just heard pop on woai praising silver and contrasting him to the leadership of the "last 3 years"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a Spurs fan from Hong Kong and usually read more than I post.

We have been protesting since early June against the extradition bill. The initial message wasn't even for independence, but simply objection to a law which would have severely encroach on our civil liberties. There was a weekend where two million people came out for a peaceful march which was ignored by the government.

What started off as peaceful protests were met with violent clashes with the police trying to suppress the message. While I don't condone the violence, I see how the government pushes these protestors to this point with the police instigating the situation with the generous use of tear gas and pepper spray. Keep in mind these are almost all high school and university students in the forefront who are getting beaten and arrested. It's terrifying seeing the city become the police authoritarian state which the western world fears.

I respect Morey for speaking up, but it's just a shame he took it down right away. As a resident of Hong Kong we would love to see the NBA take a firm stance on what they believe in, free speech without a fear of repercussions. If they can allow for players to speak about black lives matter openly, the same should be done for supporting Hong Kong without the fear of the Chinese Communist party pulling the plug. It's definitely difficult to swallow the fact that money speaks louder than morals and principles.
    Hi, thanks for the info. Just a question since I live in Chile and only keep up a little bit since I have some ties to China and Hong Kong from the 90s. But I seem to recall reading in the very first week of the protest, that the hk administrator or governor not sure what the le is, I remember reading that she pulled back on the extradition law because of the public backlash like I said in the first week or 2nd week. I was surprised that Beijing folded so fast and more surprised that the conflict continued to escalate, is my memory / sources failing me or is that right?

As a leftist, and assuming what I remember and read was true, I'm a little bothered by the double standard here- for example in Chile police regularly use tear gas, pepper spray, water cannons, rubber bullets, and every year there are severe consequences, be it brain damage, lost eyeballs, or dead protestors, also mostly high school/college students. Whenever there is a WTC or g7 summit the same things happen. No one mainstream questions how western govts repress their people, on the contrary, the discussion is always about the use of masks, the violence and destruction of public property, etc. When was the last time protestors in the west successfully made their govts reverse a policy? I realize there is more at stake than just extradition, and that the Chinese govt has worse crimes than how they handle the two systems policy, but it seems the way the western media has covered the situation is not at all consistent with their coverage of similar conflicts in the west. I'd appreciate any correction to my understanding of what's happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol same people calling Pop a coward for not chiming in on China are the same that say he should keep his mouth shut and focus on basketball.

This. When people don't have a valid argument against you, their only option is to try to discredit your opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. When people don't have a valid argument against you, their only option is to try to discredit your opinion.
    he should speak on all issues and not just the John Oliver talking points ones

ORANGE MAN BAD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ORANGE MAN BAD
    so unless you speak on ALL issues in existence, then you can't speak on any issues at all?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

ORANGE MAN BAD
    You can't speak on this issue if you follow your own demands for others.

Thread Information