Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Making a turducken breast this year. Not super excited about using frozen duck breast, but gotta work with what ya got. I'm gonna smoke it with some oak.

Whattabout y'all? Is Karen gonna make another dry ass turkey? Anyone deep fry? Any good recipes/rubs/hints?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I always have thought regular home roasted turkey with stuffing was the best for the holidays. Never really liked fried turkey, it's just too dry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Late reply, but used the oven.. I'm able to match the juiciness of a fried turkey in the oven using an oven bag and injectable marinade.. If the cook time is 3.5 hours I'd do one hour at 400 to crisp the skin, then the remainder at 325 with the bag on. After it hits 180 internal temp I wrap that MF and let it rest for an hour while the sides were prepped.. Comes out stupid good every year

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I always have thought regular home roasted turkey with stuffing was the best for the holidays. Never really liked fried turkey, it's just too dry.
    If your fried turkey is dry, you ed up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Would take a down syndrome level re to up a fried turkey.. sounds about right if it's someone from his bloodline

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you spend loads of time on a message board furiously re-writing your failure of a life with stories that hold up like soggy cardboard, you ed up. Period.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's safe to say Andy has taken then the moniker of 'Fake Internet Life' from Koolaid_

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Would take a down syndrome level re to up a fried turkey.. sounds about right if it's someone from his bloodline
    tbh

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think I'm gonna try frying my turducken next year. It was phenomenal this year, but always looking to try new things.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Late reply, but used the oven.. I'm able to match the juiciness of a fried turkey in the oven using an oven bag and injectable marinade.. If the cook time is 3.5 hours I'd do one hour at 400 to crisp the skin, then the remainder at 325 with the bag on. After it hits 180 internal temp I wrap that MF and let it rest for an hour while the sides were prepped.. Comes out stupid good every year
    Before I moved into an apartment, I would smoke it on the weber and bring it up to temp in the oven, basting it with sage butter the whole time. always turned out great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Before I moved into an apartment, I would smoke it on the weber and bring it up to temp in the oven, basting it with sage butter the whole time. always turned out great.
    Yep.. Oven turkey is very capable. I laugh at people who say they hate chicken breast and turkey because it's dry, no your cook is just worthless

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yep.. Oven turkey is very capable. I laugh at people who say they hate chicken breast and turkey because it's dry, no your cook is just worthless
    Yeah I would also have it breast down for the first half of the cook so all the juices went through there into the pan, then would put it breast side up in the oven. Very juicy every time. Still prefer thighs over breast every time though

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah I would also have it breast down for the first half of the cook so all the juices went through there into the pan, then would put it breast side up in the oven. Very juicy every time. Still prefer thighs over breast every time though
    Dark meat > white meat in every aspect.

The biggest mistake people make when they put a bird in the oven is they don't let it sit after pulling it out of the oven. Let that hoe sit for at least two hours, you wont even need to flip your bird in the oven. If you did your turkey right, it will reabsorb all of the pan juices.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

The biggest mistake people make when they put a bird in the oven is they don't let it sit after pulling it out of the oven. Let that hoe sit for at least two hours, you wont even need to flip your bird in the oven. If you did your turkey right, it will reabsorb all of the pan juices.
    Yeah I finally had a Popeyes sandwich, and could only think how much better it would have been with a thigh

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Dark meat is better cold, white is better heated up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, the thighs have more fat and stay moist with less effort.. I love buying the pack of boneless skinless thighs and letting them sit in whatever marinade for a few days then throw them on the pit over direct heat

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not my family. Was a group of Mexican friends in 2017.

Thread Information