My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wondering if any of you guys have a fix for this. Have tried a bunch of things to no avail.

I've got an Aspire A515-51G and I don't game much on it but do play CS GO on it. Recently when playing it won't charge while I play for whatever reason. It'll change when I'm not gaming then as soon as I start playing it just stops charging even when connected.

Also I've been having significant FPS issues. I'll have a great ping but it'll lag heaps. I've changed the graphics down and some other forums suggested but haven't worked.

Any of you come across similar things?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's overheating?.. the PC might be ramping down on things that generate heat like gaming and charging. I don't think that model is very old but depending on the environment it's in maybe it's full of dust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's overheating?.. the PC might be ramping down on things that generate heat like gaming and charging. I don't think that model is very old but depending on the environment it's in maybe it's full of dust
    Yeah, that is something I haven't tried yet. I'll give it a go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does the charging indicator turns off when it stops charging? If it does, it could be the AC adapter. If it does not, it could be either the battery or the adapter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does the charging indicator turns off when it stops charging? If it does, it could be the AC adapter. If it does not, it could be either the battery or the adapter.
    Since you're a computer whiz who grew up in the 086-486 era and know software, maybe you can help me out. Picked up a nice haul of vintage computer . Currently trying to put together a build based around a 486BL with a Cyrix Math Co-Processor. Board seems good. IDE controller card is good. But for the life of me, it will not recognize the hard drive in the BIOS, which is Mr. Bios (a BIOS I never seen). Tried formatted drives, unformatted, FAT16, different cables, different drives, and of course made sure to configure the hard drive jumpers. Double checked all the components on different machines, and everything works. By process of elimination, the only thing seems to be a BIOS software problem. Have you ever encountered that before?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I've read that my charger may not be strong enough but it always has been up until now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you're a computer whiz who grew up in the 086-486 era and know software, maybe you can help me out. Picked up a nice haul of vintage computer . Currently trying to put together a build based around a 486BL with a Cyrix Math Co-Processor. Board seems good. IDE controller card is good. But for the life of me, it will not recognize the hard drive in the BIOS, which is Mr. Bios (a BIOS I never seen). Tried formatted drives, unformatted, FAT16, different cables, different drives, and of course made sure to configure the hard drive jumpers. Double checked all the components on different machines, and everything works. By process of elimination, the only thing seems to be a BIOS software problem. Have you ever encountered that before?
    Don't forget that back in the day the BIOS had a CHS (cylinder-head-sector) limit. The ATA spec limited it to 32GB, IIRC... some BIOS had even smaller limits. Does it boot from a floppy? Could also be the IDE controller.

Is it a board like this?
    http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-blue...s-fastest-386/

Those look like ISA slots. You could try an ISA IDE card, and see if it's recognized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I've read that my charger may not be strong enough but it always has been up until now
    Try cleaning it up, like DJR said. There's obvious wear and tear, and things like fans can end up requiring more juice as they wear out. There's also component wear and tear, and you AC Adapter might just not be putting out as much juice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's likely a piggy back board for the charge port that plugs into the motherboard with either edge connector or ribbon cable. If the charge port gets hot enough the solder joints will sometimes lose electrical connection.

Try this: Put your charging brick under the actual connector, so that the weight of the laptop sits on the charge connector. If it begins to charge again you know the port is the fault. This can happen when you're gaming because the current draw is increased, and the heat dissipated is equal to the voltage x current. Since it's a cold solder joint, there's a voltage drop across it, ergo it become a heating element under more current draw.

I've seen that with my gaming laptop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget that back in the day the BIOS had a CHS (cylinder-head-sector) limit. The ATA spec limited it to 32GB, IIRC... some BIOS had even smaller limits. Does it boot from a floppy? Could also be the IDE controller.

Is it a board like this?
    http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-blue...s-fastest-386/

Those look like ISA slots. You could try an ISA IDE card, and see if it's recognized.
    Thanks for the reply. The answer was staring at me in the face all along and I just missed it. This board actually has on-board IDE controllers (you can see them below the ram slots). I didn't notice them because they weren't surrounded by a plastic housing like in never boards and I'm so used to boards from that era needing controller cards, I didn't even look. The reason it wasn't recognizing a drive from the ISA controller card because it was jumpered to ignore it, of course . Solution was simply plugging the drive to the on-board header, obviously. Suffice it to say, I felt like an idiot

And yep, that's the board. Guess it's a glorified 386 even though it's listed as a 486 75mhz. Performing the dos speedsys benchmark, it barely registers above the 386 40mhz line. I find it interesting nonetheless, since it seems to be an uncommon chipset, 486BL.

Thread Information