Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Gay and Carroll make more sense than starting Poeltl. Poeltl just messes the spacing up. This comes down to the senile headcoach still insisting on starting 2 bigs when he's supposed to go small. I guess he thinks it doesn't matter much cause at the 6 min mark he gon sub in Gay and the team plays small from then on for the rest of the half. Maybe he just wants to establish LA early and give him the missmatch for the first 6 min of every half. I still think the Spurs should play with 1 big all the time, but Pop seems to think otherwise
    Starting Poeltl is mostly an issue because of what it does to the bench.

As Is:
    Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Jakob
    Mills, White, Carroll, Gay

Should Be:
    Murray, Forbes, DDR, Carroll, LMA
    Mills, White, Belinelli , Gay, Jakob

Starting Poeltl means one wing gets squeezed out of the rotation, probably Beli, who's shooting is desperately needed. Without him in the rotation, I doubt they even attempt 23 3pt per game which is even worse than their attempts per game last season- where they ranked last.

Carroll playing behind DDR means he'll play only around 16 mpg, as opposed to starting or playing behind Gay which would be around 22 mpg. That limits his value to the team. Starting him means the Spurs could space with Murray, Forbes and Carroll and have LMA come out and screen for DDR.

DDR is an excellent setting up Aldridge in pick and pop situations and Aldridge could get wide open 3's or DDR could have an advantage with Aldridge's man being the only line of defense between him and the rim. That could be a lethal attack with 3 other shooters around him.
    Last edited by cd021; 10-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Poeltl, as much as i like him, needs to go back to the bench, especially if White is in the Manu role. Gay or Carroll should be starting next to LA w/ DD at the 3. Idk why Pop insists on trying to use a two big lineup in 2020 when the SL has no space already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As Is:

Should Be:
    Mills, Belinelli, Carroll, Gay, Jakob

Starting Poeltl means one wing gets squeezed out of the rotation, probably Beli, who's shooting is desperately needed. Without him in the rotation, I doubt they even attempt 23 3pt per game which is even worse than their attempts per game last season- where they ranked last.

Carroll playing behind DDR means he'll play only around 16 mpg, as opposed to starting or playing behind Gay which would be around 22 mpg. That limits his value to the team. Starting him means the Spurs could space with Murray, Forbes and Carroll and have LMA come out and screen for DDR.

DDR is an excellent setting up Aldridge in pick and pop situations and Aldridge could get wide open 3's or DDR could have an advantage with Aldridge's man being the only line of defense between him and the rim. That could be a lethal attack with 3 other shooters around him.
    Agree. White has no place on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl, as much as i like him, needs to go back to the bench, especially if White is in the Manu role. Gay or Carroll should be starting next to LA w/ DD at the 3. Idk why Pop insists on trying to use a two big lineup in 2020 when the SL has no space already
    I think he tries 2 bigs to make LMA happy. Iv heard LMA doesnt really like playing center. If it doesn't work i don't think it will stick but he had to try it if only to make LMA content.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As Is:

Should Be:
    Mills, Belinelli, Carroll, Gay, Jakob
    If you ask me what it should be is:

Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll, LMA
    White, Weatherspoon, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

I'd also prefer to start Carroll since you can have him guard the opposing best wing player, the LeBrons, Nephews, etc. instead of letting DeRozan do it.
    But that bench line up would clamp down everybody. I know Weatherspoon is only signed to a 2-way, but if they signed him to a full contract and he'd get 20 games under his belt he would already have a bigger impact than 50 Mills or Belinelli since Weatherspoon is a better defender and playmaker and can basically shoot as good as they can.

The thing with Walker is that it seems like Pop has told him to not be aggressive. He needs the green light that he had in summer league. There's a good chance that he can get those same buckets against opposing bench line ups. White also has to be way more aggressive on offense coming off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. White has no place on this team.
    , I forgot about White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ask me what it should be is:

Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll, LMA
    White, Weatherspoon, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

I'd also prefer to start Carroll since you can have him guard the opposing best wing player, the LeBrons, Nephews, etc. instead of letting DeRozan do it.
    But that bench line up would clamp down everybody. I know Weatherspoon is only signed to a 2-way, but if they signed him to a full contract and he'd get 20 games under his belt he would already have a bigger impact than 50 Mills or Belinelli since Weatherspoon is a better defender and playmaker and can basically shoot as good as they can.

The thing with Walker is that it seems like Pop has told him to not be aggressive. He needs the green light that he had in summer league. There's a good chance that he can get those same buckets against opposing bench line ups. White also has to be way more aggressive on offense coming off the bench.
    In my OP, I forgot about White, off the bench. I still prefer the Mills, White, Beli, Gay, and Jakob unit. Mills still holds value, he did lead the team in net rtg last season. He is still needed do to his high volume 3pt shooting, something that Witherspoon doesn't provide. This team needs high volume shooters so Mills and Beli are essential to this team, like it or not.

Witherspoon could eventually have a role on this team but not this season, though it may eventually be as Mills replacement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I forgot about White.
    I prefer White and Forbes in the SL, and Dijon and 50Mills on the second unit. But I flog a dead horse...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am only moderately worried about White, and that's due to his weight and Pop's rotation and role-setting. He looked to heavy in the FIBA also. He just looks slower.

But on the bright side: He was bad last preseason also with turnovers. And even after coming back from injury, I don't think he had a standout game until 25 games into his season, 12-22 in the loss at Houston. He had largely struggled or just been decent until then. He scored single digits 17 times in his first 25 games, including 4 scoreless games.

But the 12-22 Houston game really stood out to as it was happening, his defense was incredible. If Pop had matched his minutes to Harden I have no doubt that the Spurs win the game. It was after that game that White just went on a tear as a difference maker. He would score single digits in only 16 of the next 42 games, but would have incredible games like the OKC game saving block game, the Atlanta blockfest, the home against Toronto, etc etc.

He might just be a slow starter anyways. Especially if he's having to adjust to a different role and expectations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team may need bit of a shake-up. I'll be curious to see how the season starts. Pop better keep that pen dry before inking any sort of max extension for DeRozan. DDR will be a tradeable asset with a short deal. A max extension will lock his ass in to San Antonio.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoelstra is letting Tyler Herro shine and yet Pop is not letting Lonnie do anything. I could understand if we had serious talent and was a contending team but that’s clearly not the case. Even other coaches of better teams are letting their young players play more. But.. “it wouldn’t be fair to the team”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoelstra is letting Tyler Herro shine and yet Pop is not letting Lonnie do anything. I could understand if we had serious talent and was a contending team but that’s clearly not the case. Even other coaches of better teams are letting their young players play more. But.. “it wouldn’t be fair to the team”
    this is the army. Veterans get the benefit of the doubt. Young guys have to sit on the bench and learn

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as is
    murray forbes ddr lma poeltl
    mills white caroll gay

should be
    ball(murray) forbes(loonie) ingram morris lma
    murray(ball) white gay caroll (center from the draft)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying they want Gay or Carroll to start and Poeltl to the bench...

No way on earth Rudy is going to last this season if he has to go against starters for most of his minutes...that dude only has so many minutes in his body per season and then he is going to break down...

Same with Carroll...he have to play against starters to much he is going to break down a lot faster...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying they want Gay or Carroll to start and Poeltl to the bench...

No way on earth Rudy is going to last this season if he has to go against starters for most of his minutes...that dude only has so many minutes in his body per season and then he is going to break down...

Same with Carroll...he have to play against starters to much he is going to break down a lot faster...
    We're talking about high 20s mpg for Gay and low 20s mpg for Carroll. All they've got to do is get them to December 15th, then they're eligible to trade the necessary pieces (ie Lyles) for Marvin Williams or Bjelica. If, for whatever reason that doesn't materialize sometime between then and the trade deadline, so be it.

This team has a slim margin for error to begin with; they can't afford to worry about what'll happen if certain players break down. They need to put their best foot forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about high 20s mpg for Gay and low 20s mpg for Carroll. All they've got to do is get them to December 15th, then they're eligible to trade the necessary pieces (ie Lyles) for Marvin Williams or Bjelica. If, for whatever reason that doesn't materialize sometime between then and the trade deadline, so be it.

This team has a slim margin for error to begin with; they can't afford to worry about what'll happen if certain players break down. They need to put their best foot forward.
    Marvin Williams would be a great fit, but I can't see the Spurs trading Lyles and Belinelli for him and they definitely won't trade Mills to match his salary. Carroll and Gay playing 24 minutes per night should not be an issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky Hammon can’t take over soon enough, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marvin Williams would be a great fit, but I can't see the Spurs trading Lyles and Belinelli for him and they definitely won't trade Mills to match his salary. Carroll and Gay playing 24 minutes per night should not be an issue
    Unless Williams falls off a cliff and/or Lyles shows marked improvement, the Spurs would more than likely jump at this (Williams is essentially a freakishly long, Spurs material version of Morris, without the ISO ability, which is largely irrelevant). It's conceivable for the Hornets too, though the Spurs might have to add a 2nd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not looking forward to another year of Pop doing his same ol same ol coaching shticks:

-over playing old guys

-under playing young guys

-dog housing guys for weeks for minor mistakes

-Patty being treated like Tim Manu and Tony

-being an ass about basketball questions while going on 5 minute rants on non basketball issues

-throwing games because “CIA Pop”

-stubbornly sticking to things that aren’t working only to cave before the start of an elimination game

-“it’s just basketball”

Dude just needs to retire already. Its was a great ride, but It’s time for a fresh start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not looking forward to another year of Pop doing his same ol same ol coaching shticks:

-over playing old guys

-being an ass about basketball questions while going on 5 minute rants on non basketball issues

-stubbornly sticking to things that aren’t working only to cave before the start of an elimination game

-“it’s just basketball”

Dude just needs to retire already. Its was a great ride, but It’s time for a fresh start.
    Wow great summary of Pop schticks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-over playing old guys

-“it’s just basketball”

- running out line ups that have never played together when the team has a lead, so the other team makes a run

- calling a time out when the Spurs are on a run and the other team makes one basket

- playing line ups that give up a 10 point lead, then call a time out and keep playing the same line up

- getting outcoached by rookie coaches

- losing games because the opposing head coach used to be his assistant at some point

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was great last season given the cir stances, he was great in the playoffs and we would've won against Denver in game 7 if a certain beloved player in this forum had showed up in the most important game of the season.
    I would happily take that Pop back, the coach but the POBO not so much. The team lacks talent, has zero all stars and has to rely on a pg that was out for a year with a significant injury. We hope he plays well but nothing is certain, we hope White and Poetl make a leap but we have to see it. Preseason means nothing to me win or lose. You can see some small things in some of the games but nah.
    Lets hope we have a good season especially from the young players, Go Spurs Go!

Thread Information