Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "New Improved" rating system. After umpteen tweakings, bigs are down, perimeters are up.
    Spurs up to 39 wins, 25% making playoffs.

Net/Offense/Defense
    +1.0/+0.2/+0.8 Team (109-108)

+3.0/+0.9/+2.1 Derrick White
    +1.4/-0.3/+1.7 Dejounte Murray
    +1.2/-0.1/+1.3 Jakob Poeltl
    +1.1/-0.1/+1.2 LaMarcus Aldridge
    +0.6/+0.1/+0.5 Rudy Gay
    -0.3/+0.7/-1.0 Patty Mills
    -0.4/+1.1/-1.5 DeMar DeRozan
    -1.3/-1.0/-0.3 DeMarre Carroll
    -1.7/-0.1/-1.6 Bryn Forbes
    -1.8/-1.0/-0.8 Trey Lyles
    -1.9/-1.1/-0.8 Lonnie Walker IV
    -2.2/0.0/-2.2 Marco Belinelli
    -2.2/-1.4/-0.8 Quinndary Weatherspoon
    -3.2/-2.3/-0.9 Luka Samanic
    -3.2/-2.6/-0.6 Drew Eubanks
    -3.4/-2.0/-1.4 Keldon Johnson
    -3.5/-3.5/0.0 Chimezie Metu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Look at Derozan. No way should he be extended. Spurs would probably be better trading for a vet placeholder forward who could shoot the 3 this season and then look at other possibilities for the future.
    Also, I think Murray has a chance to improve his offensive impact, turning him into the team's most impactful player. I don't want to jinx him, but his shooting improvement is very encouraging. Derozan does nothing for Murray at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    derozan having a career-ending injury opening night would be the best thing for the team tbh. tearing his Achilles on one of his five second hold post up fade-away bricks would be an au ious start to the year tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are these numbers based on last year?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These numbers are based on career including college and foreign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks legit. Best defender and best PG on the team sitting pretty at the top.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problems with all these systems are always the same. We don't need a system to tell us that Steph and Kawhi are good. They do a half-ass job, at best, of dealing with the guys in the middle. And they aren't worth a damn at predicting when guys are going to break out or decline, until they've already done it - or at least started to. So basically they do a really good job of telling us what we already know - the more obvious it is, the better they show it.

Those numbers say this Spurs team isn't very good. I think most of us had already come to that conclusion. The '14 and '15 RAPTOR numbers appear to value Danny Green and Patty Mills higher than Tim Duncan. If you're one of the people who think Tim wouldn't have been as useful in the "New NBA", you'll probably agree with Derrick White being valued more than Aldridge, too. I like White, but I didn't like what I saw from him this summer, or so far this preseason. It's still a coin toss whether he'll be able to repeat last season's performance, now that he's drawing more attention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problems with all these systems are always the same. We don't need a system to tell us that Steph and Kawhi are good. They do a half-ass job, at best, of dealing with the guys in the middle. And they aren't worth a damn at predicting when guys are going to break out or decline, until they've already done it - or at least started to. So basically they do a really good job of telling us what we already know - the more obvious it is, the better they show it.

Those numbers say this Spurs team isn't very good. I think most of us had already come to that conclusion. The '14 and '15 RAPTOR numbers appear to value Danny Green and Patty Mills higher than Tim Duncan. If you're one of the people who think Tim wouldn't have been as useful in the "New NBA", you'll probably agree with Derrick White being valued more than Aldridge, too. I like White, but I didn't like what I saw from him this summer, or so far this preseason. It's still a coin toss whether he'll be able to repeat last season's performance, now that he's drawing more attention.
    Spoiler: he won’t. can’t even handle adversity when he’s gifted olympics spots and playing time he doesn’t deserve

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the problem with White is that he has the mental toughness of a Kyle Anderson while being far more skilled

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like White, but I didn't like the boxscores I saw from him this summer, or so far this preseason.
    You didn't actually watch the games so FIFY

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    39 wins? cmon

and then mav and okc at 46/47 wins

better go recalibrate those calculators boyz
    Last edited by Allan Rowe vs Wade; 10-13-2019 at 11:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    39 wins? cmon

This team just isn't very good although I would agree that the Mavs and OKC probably aren't that good either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a better team than last year. I don't think it's reasonable to argue otherwise. Pop will eventually realize that starting a bunch of non-shooters doesn't work, and the offense will get back to being respectable. The defense will improve from better personnel and chemistry. Indeed, the West is better now, so maybe they'd miss the playoffs. But 538 recently has projected the Spurs low for a bit now, and they keep having to ratchet up their rankings "as they get more information". While every model will get better with more data, folks are too inclined to give popular models like these a pass and just assume they've already been rigorously tested. Have RAPTORS or any other other stupid acryonyms correctly predicted non-obvious results this far in advance? If not, maybe they shouldn't release them until mid-season or whenever they become accurate.

And no, even the player rankings aren't correct. These advanced stats have yet to appropriately contextualize role-players. It should be part of the brute quan ative results that stars are more important to winning than role-players. You shouldn't look at a list and wonder, "Who's more important, Aldridge or Poeltl." It's ing Aldridge, by a mile. And you should be like, "Is DeRozan less helpful than Mills?" Of course he's not. And that may seem like a trivial complaint, but if they factored in the "star boost", then their models would be more accurate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team just isn't very good although I would agree that the Mavs and OKC probably aren't that good either.
    spursies won 48 last year with massive injury problems. with djm back and ddr in year 2 they should clear 50 barring further injuries and/or acute onset of tosbism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spursies won 48 last year with massive injury problems. with djm back and ddr in year 2 they should clear 50 barring further injuries and/or acute onset of tosbism
    Rest assured Pop's TOSB crew will have something to say about that. Also, let's stop acting as if the Spurs are the only team in the West. There are other teams and almost all of them got better too. There won't be very many easy games this year, and it's not hard to see how Pop's 1 single 3pt shooter starting lineup is going to struggle in some of them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a better team than last year. I don't think it's reasonable to argue otherwise. Pop will eventually realize that starting a bunch of non-shooters doesn't work, and the offense will get back to being respectable. The defense will improve from better personnel and chemistry. Indeed, the West is better now, so maybe they'd miss the playoffs. But 538 recently has projected the Spurs low for a bit now, and they keep having to ratchet up their rankings "as they get more information". While every model will get better with more data, folks are too inclined to give popular models like these a pass and just assume they've already been rigorously tested. Have RAPTORS or any other other stupid acryonyms correctly predicted non-obvious results this far in advance? If not, maybe they shouldn't release them until mid-season or whenever they become accurate.

And no, even the player rankings aren't correct. These advanced stats have yet to appropriately contextualize role-players. It should be part of the brute quan ative results that stars are more important to winning than role-players. You shouldn't look at a list and wonder, "Who's more important, Aldridge or Poeltl." It's ing Aldridge, by a mile. And you should be like, "Is DeRozan less helpful than Mills?" Of course he's not. And that may seem like a trivial complaint, but if they factored in the "star boost", then their models would be more accurate.
    "Is DeRozan less helpful than Mills?" This is the reason why I don't take these rating systems seriously. Anything that would say that Patty Mills is more helpful or better than DeMar at any point is flawed at best. I agree with your post completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    39 wins? cmon

At this point I could see them win 39 games. Somehow I got the feeling that this years team is worse than last years although it's better on paper. It just seems to me that this group combined with Pops re ed line ups won't make it to the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong though

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Looks legit. Best defender and best PG on the team sitting pretty at the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I could see them win 39 games. Somehow I got the feeling that this years team is worse than last years although it's better on paper. It just seems to me that this group combined with Pops re ed line ups won't make it to the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong though
    It all has to do with effort and willingness to give 100%

If the team can at least give true effort, that will amount to wins. But lackadaisical play and giving up quickly will lead to plenty of losses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn’t have massive injuries.
    They got more or less a typical season relative to everyone else.
    Murray missed a season but everyone else was available with some periods of either rest or minor injuries.
    I wouldn’t even assume this season will be completely uneventful on the injury department. Someone will invariably get hurt.

Is Murray the difference maker some of us think he can be is basically the question. But make no mistake there will be some games missed by some guys due to rest and injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn’t have massive injuries.
    They got more or less a typical season relative to everyone else.
    Murray missed a season but everyone else was available with some periods of either rest or minor injuries.
    I wouldn’t even assume this season will be completely uneventful on the injury department. Someone will invariably get hurt.

Is Murray the difference maker some of us think he can be is basically the question. But make no mistake there will be some games missed by some guys due to rest and injuries.
    ok so spurs only lost their starting pg for the whole year and then the backup pg (white) for the beginning of the year, and
    also lonnie at the beginning if the year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind that the model only looks at players, not the quality of coaching. Maybe the Spurs would end up with 39 wins with a league average coach. But it's been said that having a great coach is the equivalent of adding another all-star to the roster.

Thread Information