My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a new article about Dejounte Murray's shooting in the scrimmage, complete with clips:

https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-m...urs-scrimmage/

If you missed the scrimmage, you can see Murray's improved shooting form.

Written by new SpursTalk writer Josh Paredes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So which poster is Josh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So which poster is Josh?
    ducks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks like our franchise player tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. Thanks Josh!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's wait until he's draining those in actual games and proves that he isn't an awful fit with the already starting unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stroke is wet.

Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's wait until he's draining those in actual games and proves that he isn't an awful fit with the already starting unit.
    The amount of space he had, especially on 2 of the 3.

Still glad he made them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still glad he made them.
    Man some people will hate on anything. I agree with you his form looks a lot better and him just taking them is a big step. Some weirdos on this site hate on anything there's a lot to hate about this roster but Murray isn't one of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still glad he made them.
    He will have that same amount of space in real games as well. If he keeps knocking them down then teams will guard him closer obviously.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Kobe's! Or Kawhi's, lol.

Hoping this transcends to the regular season. Happy that he is putting the work on his game, rather than, let's say, posting on his YouTube page lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still glad he made them.
    I did think that. His form looks really slow, but making them will still help spacing. He's going to have to commit to the shot earlier than he did on those first two attempts. Right now, it just feels like something to open up his individual game, but if everyone in the SL (or everyone except Poe if Pop keeps going that way) can shoot at least that well, they could make it work.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i agree his release is a bit slow but the fact that he could even be a threat from deep is going to open up the floor for him so much because teams will have to rotate and close on him which should open up driving lanes, midrange floaters, and post up opportunities for him. i also think his form looks smoother now than it did, and he shot with confidence. if Murray and LA can at least be a threat to hit from deep a couple times again, the spacing might not be so terrible

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was also finishing through contact better at the rim and his vision is much improved. I bet those film and strategy sessions with the coaches will pay dividends this year. As I've been saying about Murray the last few years, he just has that it factor that you need to become a star player. He has those same intangibles that I saw early on in Kawhi's development but he has considerably better leadership skills. So far in preseason, I'm more confident than ever that he will have a big year scoring and distributing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the articles. Any way spurstalk will be posted on bleacher report anytime soon? Say what you want about br but they are a good place to get content. If horrible air Alamo can post then I don't see why spurstalk couldn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very slow release tbh

Step in the right direction though

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't worry about the quickness of release . . . yet. Teams are going to make him prove it for a while, which means he'll have plenty of time to get it off.

Right now, the most important things are that he spaces to 3 off ball, doesn't hesitate and shoots a combination of decent percentage/volume.

Do that over an extended period and he'll make the opposition reconsider, at which point the quickness of release will come into play.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said DM needed that 3 the most in his arsenal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't worry about the quickness of release . . . yet. Teams are going to make him prove it for a while, which means he'll have plenty of time to get it off.

Right now, the most important things are that he spaces to 3 off ball, doesn't hesitate and shoots a combination of decent percentage/volume.

Do that over an extended period and he'll make the opposition reconsider, at which point the quickness of release will come into play.
    Agreed.

He generally seems confident enough, especially sense he's already taking 3's above the break as opposed to corner 3's. Teams likely won't guard him that far out and they generally take a while to adjust to players who become capable shooters. He'll need to shoot well on open 3's for a while for teams to change up then that should open up his drive game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His form looks Kobe-esque

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I made the observation when he came in the league that his footwork form was terrible. He wasn't properly balanced and squared up to the basket. The result was a falling off to the left and a ball rotation that was sideways. His footwork is much improved and the ball is rotating right as far as can be seen. The first vid shows his left foot slightly back like the old days, but is much better.

That's why we have Chip, thank goodness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are ed. This is the year we miss the playoffs boys. Once I read Pops response to us getting 7th at the WC, I knew we were ed.

Reporter 1: Pop you really like that line up of Mills and Marco as ur backcourt. Are you aware they’re a -2600 when sharing the court together?
    : Patty is a great locker room guy. He’s one of our leaders. Speaking of leaders he’s a heck of a lot better than the one in the White House rn let me tell you.

Reporter 2: The other day I heard Tim talking about LW4 and the amount of work he’s put into his game the offseason. Are you planning on playing him at all this season bc he’s seen only 5 minutes of action and it’s post all star break.
    : Lonnies a great kid. He’s a hard worker and a tremendous basketball player. But he’s behind other great players in the rotation like Marco and Lyles, so we won’t really have time to assess Lonnie until next year.

Reporter 3: Pop your starting line up is averaging 3 three pointers made a game with all of them coming from a Bryn Forbes, would you like to see more 3 point shooting out of your starters.
    : The 3 pointer is such an antiquated shot. It really takes the fun out of basketball. As a purest of the game I have a lot more fun and get more joy out of seeing LMA jacking up long contested fade away 2 pointers than I do a player make a gimmicky shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are ed. This is the year we miss the playoffs boys. Once I read Pops response to us getting 7th at the WC, I knew we were ed.

Reporter 1: Pop you really like that line up of Mills and Marco as ur backcourt. Are you aware they’re a -2600 when sharing the court together?
    : Patty is a great locker room guy. He’s one of our leaders. Speaking of leaders he’s a heck of a lot better than the one in the White House rn let me tell you.

Reporter 2: The other day I heard Tim talking about LW4 and the amount of work he’s put into his game the offseason. Are you planning on playing him at all this season bc he’s seen only 5 minutes of action and it’s post all star break.
    : Lonnies a great kid. He’s a hard worker and a tremendous basketball player. But he’s behind other great players in the rotation like Marco and Lyles, so we won’t really have time to assess Lonnie until next year.

Reporter 3: Pop your starting line up is averaging 3 three pointers made a game with all of them coming from a Bryn Forbes, would you like to see more 3 point shooting out of your starters.
    : The 3 pointer is such an antiquated shot. It really takes the fun out of basketball. As a purest of the game I have a lot more fun and get more joy out of seeing LMA jacking up long contested fade away 2 pointers than I do a player make a gimmicky shot.
    spot on

Thread Information