Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/us/fo...ing/index.html

Neighbor called the cops to report the front door was open. Cops apparently shouted for her to put her hands up, then shot her through the window. Ended up being the homeowner/renter/whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goddam why does this keep happening.

Charge the er with murder/manslaughter/whatever

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoot first, arrest later tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe investigate first. I know you think you know the entire story but like always you don't. Let the facts be gathered and the case will move forward, avoid looking like an idiot again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All he has to say is he feared for his life and he'll get a hug from the judge, a bible and a light sentence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"I feared for my life" and was following the historic protocol for all LE depts (aka "kill the knitters")

It don't matter:

leave your front door open, cops come

ask whose behind the front door, to get busted in with flashbang grenades or just get shot through the door

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All he has to say is he feared for his life and he'll get a hug from the judge, a bible and a light sentence.

I read yesterday it was heavily edited "for full transparency"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's possible someone did intrude, she turned on all lights and was clearing her own home. It's possible it was her nephew that came in late, maybe never said he was leaving, and she got scared and so began to sweep the house to check for intruders. I've done it.

Calling the cops because your neighbor's door is open is stupid. Doors open by design. If the cop shot someone just because they held a gun in their own home, that's murder imo. If the cop shot them and they weren't carrying, that's murder. Either is murder. Cops sneaking around your home is a problem, makes them indistinguishable from an intruder.

Possible scenarios:

1. What I mentioned above
    2. She was unarmed and the gun wasn't even a real gun
    3. There was a disagreement between the neighbor and the nephew

If someone screams at me "don't move, let me see your hands" in the middle of the night from outside my home, one of us might get shot. The phrase "police" helps.. too bad dude didn't say it.

I'm sure Lee Merritt is on the case.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's possible someone did intrude, she turned on all lights and was clearing her own home. It's possible it was her nephew that came in late, maybe never said he was leaving, and she got scared and so began to sweep the house to check for intruders. I've done it.

Calling the cops because your neighbor's door is open is stupid. Doors open by design. If the cop shot someone just because they held a gun in their own home, that's murder imo. If the cop shot them and they weren't carrying, that's murder. Either is murder. Cops sneaking around your home is a problem, makes them indistinguishable from an intruder.

Possible scenarios:

If someone screams at me "don't move, let me see your hands" in the middle of the night from outside my home, one of us might get shot. The phrase "police" helps.. too bad dude didn't say it.

I’m not in disagreement with any of this but the punchline imo is that people are always going to do stupid (call 911 for a dumb reason, not respond when a cop is yelling let me see your hands, etc) and cops need to be the level headed ones who are careful. Their job is largely to stay calm when those around them are being dumbasses.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing god damn shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not in disagreement with any of this but the punchline imo is that people are always going to do stupid (call 911 for a dumb reason, not respond when a cop is yelling let me see your hands, etc) and cops need to be the level headed ones who are careful. Their job is largely to stay calm when those around them are being dumbasses.
    I agree, that's why I said someone would get shot likely, me or them. Our daily lives should not include the situational awareness, at 1am, that a cop is standing outside your window when the silence is broken by "let me see your hands!!!". If I was casing my own home and a cop screamed that out, I'd at least take cover and probably would get shot since I'd be indistinguishable from an intruder. The problem is that the cop had no business shooting into an occupied home nor casing it from the outside. If the door was open, just enter the home with the announcement "POLICE!". There could have been anyone in the line of fire. It's just lowest common denominator type "scared less" policing. If you're that scared, don't become a cop.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's just lowest common denominator type "scared less" policing. If you're that scared, don't become a cop.
    ing exactly, which is why I blame ty pay as a big cause for all of these police shootings. For what cops get paid you end up with a lot of these lowest common denominator types who only become cops because they can't do anything better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing exactly, which is why I blame ty pay as a big cause for all of these police shootings. For what cops get paid you end up with a lot of these lowest common denominator types who only become cops because they can't do anything better.
    You look at these Xe (formerly Blackwater) guys, they shoot indiscriminately at whomthe ever because they have immunity. They are highly paid, 400K a year for some, and they are highly trained ex commandos, operators and . They have situational awareness, they just have a much much simpler go/no-go lever for engagement than you or I would have. Cops have to consider legal ramifications, but so many of them put themselves in a position to need to consider it, when they didn't have to be there. Are you really making it safer in a home by shooting through a ing window when you have zero idea what the is going on? Why even peep in windows? If that's training, they need to rethink it and stop having the ing SEALs and other non LEO types train people who have to interface with the public.

You ever approach a cop, like even in a supermarket and say anything? You usually get this wary look from them, like you just invaded their space. They are always on alert in case they need to shoot someone.

In a situation like the OP, these guys are already unholstered so they are in "kill now" mode without so much as a single threat that could have been perceived. This is based, of course, on knowing nothing more about the incident than the story currently contains, but even without this particular incident, that in Dallas could have just left. Just leave.. walk away and call for back up. Botham Jean would be alive today. Dude in the video could have just ducked and covered, and alerted the others then called out "POLICE!". This probably happens more often than not, and cops are likely doing 1000 good sweeps for 1 up, but with the cost of innocent life they have to do better.

Stupid for sure.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Meh this is probably how it went down for Amber Guyger. Shooting before finishing their sentence (without announcing they are police). Hence why the mistake of fact defense is so silly and they should both get 25 to life tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just leave.. walk away and call for back up.
    I believe this is standard operating procedure, and more than just for safety, but also for legal CYA purposes. Like you said, there's probably a million sweeps for every up, but when the ups happen, they're both high profile and costly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe investigate first. I know you think you know the entire story but like always you don't. Let the facts be gathered and the case will move forward, avoid looking like an idiot again.
    Lol I'm not the DA, idiot. If more facts come out and I change my mind, so be it.

I know others' perception of you is very very important to you here, but it's just a message board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Possible scenarios:

Says dude that says to wait for all the facts.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Unfortunately there's not a BBC angle he can jump on like last he did with Guyger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me: "It's possible this happened".

You

"Charge the er with murder"

Yeah I see the similarities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC:

If the cop shot someone just because they held a gun in their own home, that's murder imo. If the cop shot them and they weren't carrying, that's murder. Either is murder.
    Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok and?

"if"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we both read the same info. I have the same implied "if" as you do. You're a ing moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah we both read the same info. I have the same implied "if" as you do. You're a ing moron.
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The "gun"?

She was playing a video game.

Jesus, talk about ty timing.

Notice how blurry the images are, don't want you drawing conclusions just yet.

Thread Information