6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully we see more of this, tbh... even though realistically none of the kids are going to do any time, it's important that they learn that certain actions have consequences, are not a joke and see what those consequences look like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll put you down for creepy incel 11 year old girl stalker until you explain how you know so much about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully we see more of this, tbh... even though realistically none of the kids are going to do any time, it's important that they learn that certain actions have consequences, are not a joke and see what those consequences look like.
    Felony charge for this is ridiculously though. Misdemeanor would be effective enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought crimes good now

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    DMC trying to develop a BBC angle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC trying to develop a BBC angle.
    You're really fixated on the BBC. I guess you need something to do while you're sitting up in your room, eh Brandi?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You're really fixated on the BBC.
    Nope, that's you. I'm just pointing out it was your go-to conclusion twice in the Guyger incident.

If you're going to be a little about it now you shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Own your , you .

tough guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Felony charge for this is ridiculously though. Misdemeanor would be effective enough.
    Thought crimes good now
    Meh, charges are very likely to be dropped. Her walking out in handcuffs won't be erased so easily.

And it's not a thought crime. Criminal threats are indeed a felony. And they don't have to be necessarily verbal either (depends on the state):

A criminal threat involves one person threatening someone else with physical harm. The threat must be communicated in some way, though it doesn't necessarily have to be verbal. A person can make a threat through email, text message, or even through non-verbal body language such as gestures or movements. However, some states require written or verbal threats, and in those states gestures are not enough.

We can blame the legislatures, I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, charges are very likely to be dropped. Her walking out in handcuffs won't be erased so easily.

And it's not a thought crime. Criminal threats are indeed a felony. And they don't have to be necessarily verbal either (depends on the state):

A criminal threat involves one person threatening someone else with physical harm. The threat must be communicated in some way, though it doesn't necessarily have to be verbal. A person can make a threat through email, text message, or even through non-verbal body language such as gestures or movements. However, some states require written or verbal threats, and in those states gestures are not enough.

Unless she said "I'm going to kill you all" then her motions were merely pointing. Are those in the NBA committing felonies when they drag the knife finger across their necks?

I was in KC last week. What a hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless she said "I'm going to kill you all" then her motions were merely pointing. Are those in the NBA committing felonies when they drag the knife finger across their necks?

I was in KC last week. What a hole.
    Again, verbal isn't necessarily required in some states. I would argue that gestures can certainly be interpreted as 'speech' (some more than others, and there's certainly a gesture language out there), but I honestly don't know if these state laws have been put to the test in the SCOTUS.

The answer to the NBA question would then depend on which state and who it was directed to? I don't have case law in front of me, but would you be shocked if gang signs were not used in bolstering a case against a gang members? I wouldn't.

Let's be clear I don't defend those statutes, I find them sketchy at best, but it is the law out there in some places.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, verbal isn't necessarily required in some states. I would argue that gestures can certainly be interpreted as 'speech' (some more than others, and there's certainly a gesture language out there), but I honestly don't know if these state laws have been put to the test in the SCOTUS.

The answer to the NBA question would then depend on which state and who it was directed to? I don't have case law in front of me, but would you be shocked if gang signs were not used in bolstering a case against a gang members? I wouldn't.

Let's be clear I don't defend those statutes, I find them sketchy at best, but it is the law out there in some places.
    I'd be very surprised. Gang signs are often identification, like a cobra bowing up. Of course my gang sign, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head, could be an exception.

I don't think any signs like that would hold up in a real court as felonies. It wouldn't make sense. Even if you did it in court, it could probably only be contempt.

I'd have to defer to the Law Offices of Vylow and Philo to be sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

While I appreciate the rule of law angle I don't think we are talking about equal enforcement here. If they had pointed at them and made a throat slashing motion they wouldn't have carted her off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last month in the Shawnee Mission district, two 13-year-old students at Hocker Grove Middle School showed up with guns — the real thing — found stashed in their backpacks. Both were charged as juveniles in possession of a firearm, a misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $2,500 or both.

It’s a felony only if a kid commits the same crime a second time. The principal of Hocker Grove said there was no evidence suggesting the teens had planned to use the guns at school.

According to district policy, having a gun at school results in expulsion for up to 186 days, but it wasn’t clear how the two students were disciplined.

Threatening is a felony.

You can take real guns into the school, but you cannot pretend to have a gun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be very surprised. Gang signs are often identification, like a cobra bowing up. Of course my gang sign, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head, could be an exception.

I don't think any signs like that would hold up in a real court as felonies. It wouldn't make sense. Even if you did it in court, it could probably only be contempt.

I'd have to defer to the Law Offices of Vylow and Philo to be sure.
    While I appreciate the rule of law angle I don't think we are talking about equal enforcement here. If they had pointed at them and made a throat slashing motion they wouldn't have carted her off.
    Last month in the Shawnee Mission district, two 13-year-old students at Hocker Grove Middle School showed up with guns — the real thing — found stashed in their backpacks. Both were charged as juveniles in possession of a firearm, a misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $2,500 or both.

It’s a felony only if a kid commits the same crime a second time. The principal of Hocker Grove said there was no evidence suggesting the teens had planned to use the guns at school.

According to district policy, having a gun at school results in expulsion for up to 186 days, but it wasn’t clear how the two students were disciplined.

Threatening is a felony.

You can take real guns into the school, but you cannot pretend to have a gun.
    yeah, that's why I said we should probably blame the legislature(s) about these laws. But they do exist, tbh...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should the dude who slept with your wife have been charged with a misdemeanor?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should the dude who slept with your wife have been charged with a misdemeanor?
    Felony repeated stabbing

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Felony repeated stabbing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    zero tolerance plus severe punishment is aimed mostly at non-whites.

Remember after 9/11 when kindergarteners and pre-schoolers were being accused of "terroristic" threats?

America is ing insane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    zero tolerance plus severe punishment is aimed mostly at non-whites.

Remember after 9/11 when kindergarteners and pre-schoolers were being accused of "terroristic" threats?

America is ing insane.
    Mentions 9/11 then says "America is ing insane" after terrorists from another country killed 3000 Americans by flying commercial airliners into skyscrapers. Yeah, America is OTT. Dumb ass Bouts, stick to puking out website articles and sucking Michael Moore's .

Thread Information