Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    pop gonna pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every Spurs fan was anticipating the White Murray starting backcourt.

Pop always with the trolling “zag”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “It’s just basketball.” It will take Pop the whole year to realize he could have done it from the beginning and play that “wasn’t fair” to Bryn, Patty, and Beli. “See the way those guys pat teammates on the back, you can’t teach that kind of culture.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop retired too. He’s just still coaching.
    Thats beautiful. Poetry even

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it all depends on their shooting, especially white. he wont make the current starting lineup if he is going to be a passive, poor shooter. if murray develops a 3 then he becomes the perfect compliment to derozan (unfortunately if you think he is cancer, but still a perfect fit). i think thats the issue for the FO, if white breaks out derozan is expendable but if he doesnt you need someone else to run some offense. doesnt absolve pop completely but if white is playing like this hes hardly convincing anyone to give him a bigger role.

preseason is not showing it at all but im hoping the 2nd year effect kicks in for derozan, especially on defense. he has good offensive impact stats but his defense is so bad it makes him a net negative. Some improvement there could go a long way to making him a better player.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond the D...hehe, the D.... sorry, had a Beavis and Butthead moment....

Anyway, not to justify this as I agree that they could be dynamic together, is there any possibility Pop is trying to keep White as a punch for the bench like Manu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet the Mills and Belli pairing that literally lost us the series against Denver is still going on strong. When will Becky take over the reins? I would like to not continue having to hear my coach not give a flip when we lose.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can we get an ‘aroused’ emoticon reaction?

something tells me pop doesnt feel like he needs to play ddr/white together in preseason bc he is going to be doing that in the early regular season anyway so why waste valuable (meaningless) mad scientist time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every Spurs fan was anticipating the White Murray starting backcourt.

Pop always with the trolling “zag”.

Anyway, not to justify this as I agree that they could be dynamic together, is there any possibility Pop is trying to keep White as a punch for the bench like Manu?
    To be clear, I'm fine with White coming off the bench. , Ginobili was a bench player for almost his entire career and he'll be a Hall of Famer.

My issue is just Pop actively avoiding playing Murray and White together. Maybe it's an overreaction to preseason play but he usually gives pretty clear hints about his desired rotation during preseason.

My number one interest this preseason was to see how Murray and White fit. I never considered that Pop wouldn't look to play those two together at all . . .

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pounding the Pop posted an article earlier today led “Dejounte Murray and Derrick White haven’t played together yet, and that’s okay”

They’re not even ashamed anymore...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just Pop trying to be smarter than everyone else. Also doesn't help that White has seemingly forgotten how to play basketball.
    White thrives when he doesn’t need to defer imo. He’s too worried to involve his team and becomes a Beta. Come on Pop. You said different to Tony, to score. Opponents should recognize he’s a threat then dish to an open guy.

Going to the point of starting White. So far Forbes has been playing the best basketball among the guards, and no one can deny that. He’s been improving every year. And as long as he’s hitting them sweet shots, White will be coming off the bench. But regardless, White should be coming off the bench with a vengeance and dominate the 2nd stringer but he hasn’t done that. I don’t know. For sure, we have a great line up to close and that should matter most.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why anyone is surprised about this. Fans and media alike decided it would happen, but it never made any sense.

I said all along we'd see strict pairings of one of Murray/White with one of Forbes/Mills. It's similar to one of Parker/Ginobili generally being paired with one of Green/Mills in the "beautiful game" era.

The reality is, Murray and White can't co-exist alongside DeRozan, unless DeRozan is playing as a nominal "PF" and one of Forbes/Mills/Belinelli is playing. We'll see some of that because Gay/Carroll are gimpy and Lyles is underwhelming, but even then it's obviously matchup dependant.

This is partially why DeRozan needs to go. He's literally the worst possible fit with Murray, White and Walker and is stunting their growth by ostensibly forcing the first two to split starting/closing duties and the third to be out of the rotation entirely. Instead, these idiots are apparently considering a max extension.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pounding the Pop posted an article earlier today led “Dejounte Murray and Derrick White haven’t played together yet, and that’s okay”

They’re not even ashamed anymore...
    They stopped being ashamed the minute they published that "Patty is the new Big 3 member..." article some years ago.

LMA, Kawhi and 50

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know why people are "curious" to see White and Murray together. They played spot minutes together two seasons ago. It rendered the other player useless. Both of them are at their strongest when they have the ball in their hands. This is just a fact. You take that away and theyre not playing the best they could be. You want to put your players in the best situations possible and have them excel that way. This has always been the Spurs way/mantra. timvp i am too lazy to look up my own posts over the summer.

It's just preseason. For decades of watching basketball, the teams with the worst record during the preseason always end up with the best record in regular season and vice versa. Seems like people dont pay attention to patterns (if theyve been watching the nba for a long time like me).

To me a clear need is still another 3 and D player. But maybe Keldon will step up.

I really think Pop is showcasing both Mills and Beli. Makes too much sense to do so. Theyll be traded soon. You heard it here first. They will make minutes for Lonnie.

My other theory is Pop is OK to lose like this to show the vets that its time for a change. This will allow him to ease the younger players into bigger roles since obv. the old way isnt working. This will be a season of transition. They talked up Lonnie too much to not give him minutes this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another call I made was that Poetl was going to continue to start. It was common sense but idiots like Chinook kept forcing the idea that Aldridge would be at center. This line up will work, it just takes patience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said Murray and White wouldn't play together, tbh? Link? Good call, if so
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post9877778

Here's one of my posts during the offseason.

The only thing i didnt anticipate was Forbes STILL starting.

I thought then and still think DeMar should move to Shooting guard and then move Gay to small forward.

Forbes then goes back to the bench with White so they can build off their chemistry that they had last year.

It makes perfect sense. Gay can guard other small forwards better than DeRozan can and Derozan is considered a big guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I thought then and still think DeMar should move to Shooting guard and then move Gay to small forward.

Forbes then goes back to the bench with White so they can build off their chemistry that they had last year.

It makes perfect sense. Gay can guard other small forwards better than DeRozan can and Derozan is considered a big guard.
    Looks like you had Mills and Belinelli out of the rotation to start the season. If only...

Good call on the starting lineup but the point at hand is I don't think anyone assumed there'd be a chance that White and Murray wouldn't play together at all. I thought one of the two of them would come off the bench but I fully expected lineups featuring both of them, particularly to close out games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not even trying it is mindboggling ...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think the lineup will show up after more of the roster flotsam is jettisoned .

My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    DDR + Mills+ Beli for a 6’ 7” 3D deadeye and a serviceable musclebound PF
    I know it’s a dream
    Are you targeting Meyers Leonard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gay will not last through season with starter minutes. Also he’s not fast enough to guard the 3.

Forbes will continue to start as long as he’s hitting his shots. It’s on White to take it from him. But I think White closes games when it really matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay will not last through season with starter minutes. Also he’s not fast enough to guard the 3.

Forbes will continue to start as long as he’s hitting his shots. It’s on White to take it from him. But I think White closes games when it really matters.
    Gay isnt big enough to guard the 4. Dude got bullied by Millsap in last year's playoffs. He doesnt need starter minutes, he just needs to start. 20 minutes for Gay, 28 minutes for Carroll at small forward.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get not playing them together at least to see how they execute. Also, does it mean White is on the bench at the end of games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao @ people being surprised about this. Pop starts Poeltl, plays Belinelli over Walker and you expect him to see that White and Murray together would be a good line up? He'll still close games with Patty Mills on the court when the team needs a stop, that will never change. Remember last year when the best line up was White/DeRozan/Bertans/Gay/Aldridge and he played it once in the entire season? They won the game in crunch time and that line up never shared the court again. Instead he played a Mills/Belinelli back court in the Playoffs. Or remember when we had this secret line up with Ginobili at the point that could've given the Dubs a run for their money? That line up didn't play one minute together, ever. I mean at this point we all know Popovich gonna make it harder for the team to win just by playing dumbass line ups that make 0 sense. This is the same coach who thought it was smart to play an all bench line up in an NBA Finals series.

Everybody with a pair of eyes knows that you should close out games with Murray/White/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge, but Pop will find a way to have Mills out there 100%. I wouldn't even be surprised if he lets one of Murray or White walk for nothing while resigning Bryn Forbes instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think Pop is showcasing both Mills and Beli. Makes too much sense to do so. Theyll be traded soon. You heard it here first. They will make minutes for Lonnie.

My other theory is Pop is OK to lose like this to show the vets that its time for a change. This will allow him to ease the younger players into bigger roles since obv. the old way isnt working. This will be a season of transition. They talked up Lonnie too much to not give him minutes this season.
    You must not know Pop. There is no way he will ever trade Mills. He'd rather let Forbes walk at the end of the season than Mills, but I expect both to be on the team next year. Mills is his guy and once you're Pop's guy he will always find a way to play you. He has basically Big 3 status in Popovich's mind. I totally expect Mills to end his career here.

Thread Information