Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-m...ying-together/

Tl;dr: Derrick White and Dejounte Murray should be playing together. In preseason, they haven't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely... I don't get why pairing them up for just a look wouldn't be something to experiment with in the pre-season. That would also give guys like Forbes and Mills more time against the bench players of opposing teams rather than starters.
    DeRozan is a big part of the problem-- if he shot the three, I think pairing two average shooters in the back court wouldn't be as much of an issue. But with a non shooting SF, maybe Pop feels there's not enough spacing. I still contend that trading DeRozan would be the solution. He was an enormous net negative in the playoffs, and is a No 3 & little D player in an era when 3 & D is the golden benchmark that most teams aim for.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tl;dr: Derrick White and Dejounte Murray should be playing together. In preseason, they haven't.
    Greg Popovich said that he would retire when Timmy retires. Timmy retired, and Pop hasn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR + Mills+ Beli for a 6’ 7” 3D deadeye and a serviceable musclebound PF
    I know it’s a dream

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn it, I spend like 30 minutes looking up stats and salaries and thinking over things only to be second to the subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I said all off season is taking place. And people are surprised. Lmao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just Pop trying to be smarter than everyone else. Also doesn't help that White has seemingly forgotten how to play basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not at all surprised by Walker being out of the regular rotation.

I am surprised by the lack of Murray-White together.

But then again, Pop couldn't figure out how to stagger Parker and Ginobili without benching one of them. Well, he could, until he had to baby the tankers like Hedo, Finley and Barry by sacrificing Manu on the alter of team-first no-ego basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said Murray and White wouldn't play together, tbh? Link? Good call, if so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not at all surprised by Walker being out of the regular rotation.
    Yeah, Walker being out of the rotation wouldn't be surprising. I was cautiously hopeful but everyone knew it would be a mistake to assume Pop would go with Walker on Day 1 of the regular season.

I am surprised by the lack of Murray-White together.

But then again, Pop couldn't figure out how to stagger Parker and Ginobili without benching one of them. Well, he could, until he had to baby the tankers like Hedo, Finley and Barry by sacrificing Manu on the alter of team-first no-ego basketball.
    The Parker and Ginobili dynamic is part of the reason why I thought it was a no-brainer that Murray and White would play together. Ginobili would come off the bench but he'd always end up playing with Parker and was always on the court to close the game. It wasn't even a question.

I thought Pop saw White as Ginobili part two. So far, it looks like Pop considers White to be Jacque Vaughn part 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i had said a few different times in these discussion threads that them starting together would have almost certainly required a guy like bertans starting at the 4. if they insist on poodle starting, these guys are probably unplayable together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Pop saw White as Ginobili part two. So far, it looks like Pop considers White to be Jacque Vaughn part 2.
    the TJ Ford that never was, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greg Popovich said that he would retire when Timmy retires. Timmy retired, and Pop hasn’t.
    I think Pop retired too. He’s just still coaching.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Walker being out of the rotation wouldn't be surprising. I was cautiously hopeful but everyone knew it would be a mistake to assume Pop would go with Walker on Day 1 of the regular season.

The Parker and Ginobili dynamic is part of the reason why I thought it was a no-brainer that Murray and White would play together. Ginobili would come off the bench but he'd always end up playing with Parker and was always on the court to close the game. It wasn't even a question.

White needs to follow the Hedo playbook. Perform like garbage until Pop starts you to 'get you going'. Then, when he's performing well as a starter, talk about how much more comfortable it is to start.

It might take 40 games of trash play but it could work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely... I don't get why pairing them up for just a look wouldn't be something to experiment with in the pre-season. That would also give guys like Forbes and Mills more time against the bench players of opposing teams rather than starters.
    DeRozan is a big part of the problem-- if he shot the three, I think pairing two average shooters in the back court wouldn't be as much of an issue. But with a non shooting SF, maybe Pop feels there's not enough spacing. I still contend that trading DeRozan would be the solution. He was an enormous net negative in the playoffs, and is a No 3 & little D player in an era when 3 & D is the golden benchmark that most teams aim for.
    There is not enough spacing regardless who is on the floor. But Pop will never part with Dumbmar, the obvious problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to see the DWhite/Murray pairing but with the way Forbes has looked, it just makes sense to stick with Murray/Forbes together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will play them together in a game 5 on the road when the spurs are down 3-1 in the series...if they make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprisingly, and I don't expect any quick adjustments either, Pop has become increasingly stubborn in recent years, using Mills and Marco for so long in 2019 shows that it's just basketball for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprisingly, and I don't expect any quick adjustments either, Pop has become increasingly stubborn in recent years, using Mills and Marco for so long in 2019 shows that it's just basketball for him.
    Nope. Pop no longer respects the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will play them together in a game 5 on the road when the spurs are down 3-1 in the series...if they make the playoffs.
    Tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article, timvp!

I am puzzled and bordering on disturbed by this preseason. I guess it is always possible that there are many factors at play that we fans do not know about. Injuries, trade possibilities, at ude problems, personal issues, long-term coaching vision and plan might be part of it.
    The current state is making it increasingly difficult to comprehend the plan for this season at all. I don't recall another preseason like this.

This team doesn't look great on paper and has looked worse on the court so far. A lot can change in 9 days. Let's hope it does, for the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought White would start and Murray would come off the bench until he gets comfortable playing more minutes and building chemistry with his teammates. Plus I figured Pop would roll with the same starters from the playoffs to keep things consistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR + Mills+ Beli for a 6’ 7” 3D deadeye and a serviceable musclebound PF
    I know it’s a dream
    This team would be so much better, but that's not what it's about these days I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me in like the rest of the folks who are shocked about Murray and White not playing together. White losing his shooting touch hasn’t helped the case for them sharing the court also

Thread Information