Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was listening to a podcast earlier and when discussing the Spurs over-under win totals for the season, basically a big deal was made about the defensive backcourt of Murray and White just crushing people.

And it occurred to me that, yes, the general consensus it seemed was that everyone was anticipating the defensive dynamo backcourt of Murray and White to play together.

It seemed like such an obvious thing. Whether it was Spurstalk, Reddit, RealGM or national talking heads/journos/podcasters, just wait until Murray is back and it's White and Murray taking on all comers. Best defensive backcourt in the NBA maybe?

Even if some people anticipated one of them coming off the bench, it still seemed incredibly obvious that there would be significant overlap in playing time. Why wouldn't a team put their best guards on the court together?

Preseason of course is unreliable as a predictor, but is there a chance that the Murray-White duo never materializes?

Besides the line-up fits regarding spacing and the impact that Forbes would have ... Patty Mills seems like the great disruptor here. He's averaged 22.8 mpg the past 4 seasons. He hasn't played less than 15.7 mpg since 2012/13 when he played 11.3 mpg and made $1.09 million instead of the $12.4 million he's making now (+ $13.3 next season).

If it's reasonable to expect Mills playing 20+ minutes as part of Pop's plan, and if Forbes is good for 24+ minutes because of spacing (he played 28.0 last season) .... and if Forbes is starting with Murray ...

I guess Murray and White will not regularly share the floor?

Because I'm guessing DeRozan and Carroll have 48 minutes of SF wrapped up, and if they don't, Marco will pick up the slack both there and at SG. Obviously Walker will be getting over himself and not playing except for garbage time.

I guess I was surprised at the realization, even though it should have been an obviously plausible if not likely scenario I suppose.

Was I alone in thinking all along that Murray and White would be spending tons of time together?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ignore this thread, I was writing it and timvp beat me to the punch by like 20+ minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post.

Was I alone in thinking all along that Murray and White would be spending tons of time together?
    I thought it was a no-brainer. I didn't even consider it not happening.

Obviously, it still could once the real seasons starts but I'm stunned we've seen zero seconds of Murray and White together so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ignore this thread, I was writing it and timvp beat me to the punch by like 20+ minutes.
    Eh, good stuff. Thread worthy x 2

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let’s not start sucking each other’s s just yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relax guys, it's only the preseason. And to suggest that Pop should have his regular season rotation fixed by now, that's laughable.

Having Derrick come off the bench is not such a bad idea to begin with. But, really nothing is set in stone, and it's not important who starts the game but who finishes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information