Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just can't ask more from Murray at this point. Everything was working for him. It's not reasonable to expect him to do that against teams without terrible D, but he could go down a few pegs and still be an impact offensive player. The biggest change this year to me has been his added bulk. Two years ago, Murray was pretty much a PG defender only. He just didn't have the base to hold up against legit wings. From the outset this year, Pop has had DJM on guys like Butler, and Murray has held up well. Against LAC, there's a great chance that he's going to be the guy on Kawhi (since PG is a bit bigger and probably the one DeRozan will check unless the Clips play small), Harden and other star SFs. He's not quite the floor-spacer yet. (Contrary to popular belief, it's not based on 3P%) But he can get himself open looks from all over the court because he can convert whatever type of opportunity the defense gives him.

I hope Pop realizes Walker has to be in the rotation. Beli certainly has his benefits, but Walker's upside is amazing. Forbes is playing entirely too well to unseat at the moment, but the starting two-guard spot is Lonnie's eventual home. Harden isn't nearly the challenge to defend as people might think (you just have to be okay with him making some really inefficent shots and focus on not fouling and not giving up great threes by overhelping), but he's already at least as good as Simmons ever was on that end for the Spurs. He also played a pretty solid offensive floor game. He didn't shoot well, but it's clear he can get to so many shots most players just can't find an angle for. You add in solid D and good passing? I don't see how you can overlook him. He's not going to be perfect, but he seems like the guy you want running with Mills, White, Carroll/Gay and Poeltl. At least let him play himself out of the role. You can even disguise it as "saving Beli for the home stretch".

Murray is still skinny, but he's definitely bulked up from where he was - and he looks much stronger. If you're right about him being assigned to Kawhi, and you probably are, that is going to be a real test of Murray's mettle. Your comment about spacing not being about 3P% though? It's not the only thing - but in this league, they way it's being played and called, somebody has to be a credible threat form the arc. More than one somebody.

With what Walker can do with the ball in his hands, he could get sent to the line a lot. But until he is a more efficient scorer, that's not going to happen. He can get a lot of shots, but some are better than others. If he wants to earn those minutes, it will be by playing more controlled and getting good shots, not impressive misses. Then he can add back more junk, and the defenders will bail him out with more trips to the FT line. He's got the making of a guy who can thrive at the line.

You mentioned running. I wouldn't mind seeing Pop calling for these young guys to jam it back down the other teams' throats. Maybe not D'Antoni ball, but often. Force the other teams to play some transition D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely look better without DeMar. Spurs need to trade him.
    Yup

And yet max extension is in the discussion smh

it just boggles the mind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely look better without DeMar. Spurs need to trade him.
    Trade him back to Toronto for Siakam...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have said it for a while the guy Dejounte should model his game after is Gary Payton. His body build along with his athletic ability is similar to Payton's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - did anyone notice Murray talking smack to Harden on a defensive stop, and then taking it right at him for a score on the other end? One of my favorite moments of the night. Not just his at ude, but the fact that he backed it up with a score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - did anyone notice Murray talking smack to Harden on a defensive stop, and then taking it right at him for a score on the other end? One of my favorite moments of the night. Not just his at ude, but the fact that he backed it up with a score.
    Pop won't tolerate too much of that , though so I hope he cuts down on that, tbh. I mean, I'm sure he was provoked into it but Pop doesn't care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has to let players be themselves, Murray is not autistic and this team doesn’t have a leader. Let him be the guy he is, maybe he will be the leader the team needs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has to let players be themselves, Murray is not autistic and this team doesn’t have a leader. Let him be the guy he is
    I agree but we have to face the fact that Pop won't budge from his philosophy about that stuff. I'm sure TD will be a good buffer about that, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has to let players be themselves, Murray is not autistic and this team doesn’t have a leader. Let him be the guy he is, maybe he will be the leader the team needs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree but we have to face the fact that Pop won't budge from his philosophy about that stuff. I'm sure TD will be a good buffer about that, though.
    Go Timmy D! I didn’t see anything he did as bad, hopefully Pop in his old age doesn’t catch everything going on ha ha. Thank God our leader is not an autistic guy with an uncle mouthpiece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Timmy D! I didn’t see anything he did as bad, hopefully Pop in his old age doesn’t catch everything going on ha ha. Thank God our leader is not an autistic guy with an uncle mouthpiece
    Murray's not an ass, either. For him to trash talk during a game is because he was provoked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game proved just how much Morris really ed us over. We could’ve won the chip this year if he didn’t out. It was like a domino effect that should’ve happened but never did. We sign Morris and then trade Belli. Lonnie gets minutes now that Marco is gone. We have legit size so we don’t have to play 2 bad defenders at once (like Patty and Marco or Patty and Forbes). White and Murray wreck the opposing teams backcourt while Morris, LMA, and Poetl take care of the tough dirty work. Lonnie and Patty bring that crazy uptempo game for the subs along with Poetl and White pick n rolls to free up shooter and get easy buckets at the rim.

My personal belief is that Morris’ words played a far bigger impact on Pop and RC than they let on. He said something along the lines of would you rather live in NY or San Antonio? That’s a real insecurity issue with the Spurs and may be the reason why the front office feels so strongly that they have to re-sign Demar. Just my two cents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Heh. Hammering the autist card tonight. I like it.

Murray's not an ass, either. For him to trash talk during a game is because he was provoked.

It looked to me like Harden just disrespected him by going in like he could have his way with the young kid at will, and the talk was just him letting Harden know it's not that way. That part really didn't amount to much. What I liked was that he had the stones to go right at Harden on the other end. It was his game that spoke the loudest.

It's a man's league, and if a guy like Harden thinks he can bulldog you, you're in trouble. Harden is an MVP candidate, and everyone knows it. But Murry stood up and said that he's not going to be anybody's . Everybody's en led to their own opinion, but I liked seeing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh. Hammering the autist card tonight. I like it.

It looked to me like Harden just disrespected him by going in like he could have his way with the young kid at will, and the talk was just him letting Harden know it's not that way. That part really didn't amount to much. What I liked was that he had the stones to go right at Harden on the other end. It was his game that spoke the loudest.

It's a man's league, and if a guy like Harden thinks he can bulldog you, you're in trouble. Harden is an MVP candidate, and everyone knows it. But Murry stood up and said that he's not going to be anybody's . Everybody's en led to their own opinion, but I liked seeing it.
    I don't mind it, either, especially when everybody loves to pick on us for being "too nice" and "too classy". I take pride that we have that rep but we can't be pushovers either. Tired of that , tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game proved just how much Morris really ed us over. We could’ve won the chip this year if he didn’t out. It was like a domino effect that should’ve happened but never did. We sign Morris and then trade Belli. Lonnie gets minutes now that Marco is gone. We have legit size so we don’t have to play 2 bad defenders at once (like Patty and Marco or Patty and Forbes). White and Murray wreck the opposing teams backcourt while Morris, LMA, and Poetl take care of the tough dirty work. Lonnie and Patty bring that crazy uptempo game for the subs along with Poetl and White pick n rolls to free up shooter and get easy buckets at the rim.

My personal belief is that Morris’ words played a far bigger impact on Pop and RC than they let on. He said something along the lines of would you rather live in NY or San Antonio? That’s a real insecurity issue with the Spurs and may be the reason why the front office feels so strongly that they have to re-sign Demar. Just my two cents
    I really hope Morris has a career ending injury, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh. Hammering the autist card tonight. I like.
    I actually liked Kawhi “the silent assassin” in the same sense I liked Timmy on the court. They were guys who don’t even acknowledge you but will beat you on the court. However after Kawhi screwed the team over, I have come to appreciate guys with a personality. Kawhi wasn’t a leader after all. Murray has the potential to be the whole package so I just hope Pop doesn’t expect him to be esperssionless on the court like Kawhi was.
    I didn’t see anything that needs censoring. It’s not like anyone made a dirty play.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought [hoped] that as he got older and thicker, Aldridge would start to bully guys in the post more and more. disappointing to see him still shooting fade-aways over much smaller defenders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally a good preseason game ... Murray and Aldridge were great, White was solid imo ... he stopped the rockets run at the end of the 3rd. Walker was ok, Carroll looks like a bust though.

And please explain to me why Lonnie did not go to the FT line after that bs foul by Westbrook 1 minute into the game ...

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally a good preseason game ... Murray and Aldridge were great, White was solid imo ... he stopped the rockets run at the end of the 3rd. Walker was ok, Carroll looks like a bust though.

And please explain to me why Lonnie did not go to the FT line after that bs foul by Westbrook 1 minute into the game ...
    lol Carroll is a bust 4 games into preseason.

jesus ing christ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look a TPork/EricBig sighting!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Carroll is a bust 4 games into preseason. jesus ing christ
    you have anything else to say ... about the game perhaps?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you have anything else to say ... about the game perhaps?
    Don't pay him no mind, he's the guy with all the wrong inside information i.e. he follows a random dude on twitter

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah Morris made that comment about how New York “embraces guys like him”. I thought that was the most telling statement he made, though not much was said about it. It suggested that he wasn’t excited about going to SA. It implied that he felt like the team’s image & culture and/or the city wasn’t a good fit for his personality or something along those lines.

It reminded me of a comment Derek Harper made back in the 90s when asked about why he reneged on an agreement to play for the Jazz.
    Last edited by DRob_50; 10-17-2019 at 07:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y

I hope Pop realizes Walker has to be in the rotation. Beli certainly has his benefits, but Walker's upside is amazing. Forbes is playing entirely too well to unseat at the moment, but the starting two-guard spot is Lonnie's eventual home.
    Walker needs to up his game and court awareness. He looks like he's floating out there sometimes. I agree he has upside and tremendous potential but outside of G & Summer League, he hasn't shown much. His defense is sub-par at the NBA level for the amount of athleticism he has. That needs to be his focus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought [hoped] that as he got older and thicker, Aldridge would start to bully guys in the post more and more. disappointing to see him still shooting fade-aways over much smaller defenders
    Aldridge did a lot more of that last season, especially down the stretch.

He's definitely going to always use that jumper to balance his game (and he should), but he doesn't need to be putting his body through bully ball in a meaningless preseason game. Save that for April and May.

Thread Information