Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SpursTalk preview of this game and the season series between the Spurs and Rockets in general:

https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...eason-preview/

The Rockets are broadcasting this game so it should be on League Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the preview. We lose again this game, but could see the emergence of White. He’s due.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preseason Spurs Records

2002-03. 5-3
    2003-04. 4-4
    2004-05. 4-3
    2005-06. 2-7
    2006-07. 2-3
    2007-08. 5-2
    2008-09. 3-4
    2009-10. 4-3
    2010-11. 4-3
    2011-12. 1-1
    2012-13. 4-3
    2013-14. 3-4
    2014-15. 2-5
    2015-16. 2-4
    2016-17. 4-2
    2017-18. 3-2
    2018-19. 3-2
    2019-20. So far 0-3,2 games left.

The Memphis game will probably ruin our perfect 0-5 and we will end at 1-4.
    But it's only preseason.
    Who cares that we're playing uninspired,incohesive,without a clear iden y,bad basketball on both ends of the floor?
    It's only preseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^^^^ most of those seasons were with the goat though so.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many bricks does westchimp throw up? Over/Under set at 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone gets up for the Spurs, preseason or not. The Rocketts could come out swinging and punch the Spurs in the mouth with a barrage of three pointers; Westbrook attacking the rim; Harden doing his fouling thing to get to the line, or a fast paced game with allyoop lobs to the basket to establish a big lead in the game. Or, on the other hand, the Spurs can make a compe ive game out of it for a while until somehow,
    they take their foot off the gas and fall behind. Unfortunately, I'm expecting another "L," but it's preseason. Perhaps on their final preseason game, they will treat it as though it were a regular season game and play more compe ively to give them momentum going into the regular season. GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^^^^ most of those seasons were with the goat though so.....
    Oh,i'm not delusional.
    I know that the Spurs can't content without a Duncan or a Big3,or D-Rob,or even Nephew leading the way.

But we are playing bad basketball and it's showing both at losses and the way we're losing.
    It's one thing to lack top end talent and know you can't win it all,and it's another thing to lack team iden y.

Are we the good on offense/bad on defense team like last year?
    Are we the team that takes midrange jumpers and limits 3pt shots?
    Are we an ISO team that will play slow paced,half court sets?
    Are we lacking in offense but have a tough defense?

Cause Beli shooting the ball whenever he feels like it,Mills not knowing where to pass the ball,static offense,slow rotating defense,DeMar running a play one time and standing in the corner for the next 3,Poeltl just being there,White being uncertain if he should shoot or pass and turning the ball over in the end,LMA shooting a 3 and never stepping out to the perimeter again,Murray driving on a packed paint,Forbes shooting more than he should have to cause everybody's just standing there,looking at him...

That's not a team with a basketball iden y!
    That's every Spur doing whatever he damn pleases.

And the season starts in a week!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Preseason Spurs Records

2002-03. 5-3
    2003-04. 4-4
    2004-05. 4-3
    2005-06. 2-7
    2006-07. 2-3
    2007-08. 5-2
    2008-09. 3-4
    2009-10. 4-3
    2010-11. 4-3
    2011-12. 1-1
    2012-13. 4-3
    2013-14. 3-4
    2014-15. 2-5
    2015-16. 2-4
    2016-17. 4-2
    2017-18. 3-2
    2018-19. 3-2
    2019-20. So far 0-3,2 games left.

The Memphis game will probably ruin our perfect 0-5 and we will end at 1-4.
    But it's only preseason.
    Who cares that we're playing uninspired,incohesive,without a clear iden y,bad basketball on both ends of the floor?
    It's only preseason.
    Even though it's less games to watch, I'm so glad we don't play 7-to-9 preseason games every year anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh,i'm not delusional.
    I know that the Spurs can't content without a Duncan or a Big3,or D-Rob,or even Nephew leading the way.

But we are playing bad basketball and it's showing both at losses and the way we're losing.
    It's one thing to lack top end talent and know you can't win it all,and it's another thing to lack team iden y.

Cause Beli shooting the ball whenever he feels like it,Mills not knowing where to pass the ball,static offense,slow rotating defense,DeMar running a play one time and standing in the corner for the next 3,Poeltl just being there,White being uncertain if he should shoot or pass and turning the ball over in the end,LMA shooting a 3 and never stepping out to the perimeter again,Murray driving on a packed paint,Forbes shooting more than he should have to cause everybody's just standing there,looking at him...

Those are things we aren't going to learn way into the season because well you know, Pop. He doesn't have a set lineup until the end of march imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh,i'm not delusional.

B-b-b-but they are coached by the greatest coach of all time

Rockets by 30

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Timmy sees something he doesn't like about the team, i truly hope he doesn't hesitate to tell Pop. And most of all, I hope Pop actually listens to Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-b-b-but they are coached by the greatest coach of all time
    Well arguably he is the greatest coach of all time.

But sadly, he is well past his prime and its showing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are things we aren't going to learn way into the season because well you know, Pop. He doesn't have a set lineup until the end of march imho
    Fair point.
    But with the way the West is stacked this year,we may not have until March to figure things out.

That's why this preseason in particular has me worried.
    What if the Kings start off well and we are 5 Ws behind them?
    What if the Mavs click and are in front?
    What if the Pels have the same record with the Spurs post Allstar break?

And keep in mind we have another 5 game road trip late in March and the hardest schedule in April...

2019-2020 Strength of Schedule

If we fall behind,it's not looking good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This matchup is where, IMO, having a Murray/White starting combo would help. And this is where Rudy Gay @ the 4 probably helps too but I could live with Poetle in the Starting unit if our backcourt D is shored up.

We will not outscore Houston. We definitely won't outshoot Houston.
    But one thing Mike D'Antoni teams struggle with is any team that has a defense. Especially Westbrook and Harden. They begin getting flustered and start hoisting up out of rhythm shots.

I'm not saying White and Murray would shut down Harden and Westbrook but I can guarantee they would give them more fits than a Murray/Forbes, White/Mills combo.

Offensively speaking I'm sure would not be as fluid and spacing may be off. BUT, I would be willing to gamble that and hope that we get more transition points due to the D being on point.

And as far as the bench goes, if Poetle is starting, first off the bench FOR ME would be Gay/Forbes/Carrol then Walker with a sprinkle or 2 of Mills. Left out would be Marco.
    Last edited by TDomination; 10-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray and White should start against any team with 2 star players in the back court. So Dubs, Rockets, Blazers and maybe even Jazz are a perfect match up for that. Any team with their star player at SF, Carroll gotta start. That's just common logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why Spurs have to play “modern” basketball. Imo they should play their strength, which is potentially a better defensive team. It starts with Murray/White to control the flow. Aldridge can score on anyone down low. Demar can penetrate at will, and able to dish to an open player. White/Murray/Aldridge can hit open baskets and Poeltl can roll and put backs. I’m not better in coaching, but it seems like a simple game. Slow down the pace with defense and make Aldridge work the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why Spurs have to play “modern” basketball. Imo they should play their strength, which is potentially a better defensive team. It starts with Murray/White to control the flow. Aldridge can score on anyone down low. Demar can penetrate at will, and able to dish to an open player. White/Murray/Aldridge can hit open baskets and Poeltl can roll and put backs. I’m not better in coaching, but it seems like a simple game. Slow down the pace with defense and make Aldridge work the post.
    kinda agree, it makes no sense not to use the Murray / White combo against starting lineups when perimeter defense was the team's main problem
    in the last season, the rest of the starting lineup (and bench) should be planned around Murray, White, Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kinda agree, it makes no sense not to use the Murray / White combo against starting lineups when perimeter defense was the team's main problem
    in the last season, the rest of the starting lineup (and bench) should be planned around Murray, White, Aldridge
    The issue is no PG for the 2nd team. I know it’s not happening, but I think they should accelerate Spoon’s development. He is poised and has all the tools to become a pure PG with defensive skills, unlike Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is no PG for the 2nd team. I know it’s not happening, but I think they should accelerate Spoon’s development. He is poised and has all the tools to become a pure PG with defensive skills, unlike Mills.
    yes, I understand, but I think solving our perimeter defense should be a priority right now (due to what happened last season, obviously)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, I understand, but I think solving our perimeter defense should be a priority right now (due to what happened last season, obviously)
    i would agree with that. we have many holes but if we can at least be a respectable defensive team, i would be happy and i'm surprised defensive minded Pop is not going for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh,i'm not delusional.

Great post. Good summary with adequate dose of humor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Timmy sees something he doesn't like about the team, i truly hope he doesn't hesitate to tell Pop. And most of all, I hope Pop actually listens to Duncan.
    I think TimmyD is at this point learning his own coaching style. I don’t expect him to rock the boat or anything yet, and probably not until he has to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would agree with that. we have many holes but if we can at least be a respectable defensive team, i would be happy and i'm surprised defensive minded Pop is not going for that.
    starting Carroll would improve that as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will this game be televised or on league pass?

Thread Information