Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ainge didn't want to trade Brown for Kawhi but he would trade him for DeRozan now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't need a reason to play two big lineups and having Love would guarantee that he would do so for much of most games.

Wouldn't trade DDR for Love tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, and that's not a bad idea.

Love always had a lot of potential, and he's been a good player at stretches. But he's been hurt a LOT, and I think it has taken a toll. Like I said, I think he's on the downhill stretch of his career. Maybe prematurely, due to the injuries, but I believe that makes his 4/$120M contract an albatross, even if the deal could be worked out.

But to be fair, a stretch 4 that has made a bunch of 3's and boards? Plus clearing minutes to let these young guards develop? I can't fault your thinking.
    Point taken, but I think his contract would be tradeable in two years. Also I was looking for a somewhat realistic trade Scenario, value wise for both Teams involved, not an unrealistic pipe dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point taken, but I think his contract would be tradeable in two years. Also I was looking for a somewhat realistic trade Scenario, value wise for both Teams involved, not an unrealistic pipe dream.
    Why on earth would you think it would be tradeable in two years? He’ll be two years older, more susceptible to injuries, and the last two years are the most expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ainge didn't want to trade Brown for Kawhi but he would trade him for DeRozan now?
    Jaylen Brown is a RFA dumbo. I don't expect low IQ posters like you to understand that though. You don't even know the difference between the words hug and huge
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 10-18-2019 at 08:15 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no way Jaylen Brown chooses to come to SA. Have to make a trade in order to get a quality player like that. What is the market for DeRozan?
    It's far from a pipe dream. It's actually quite realistic

The reaction to the Yahoo report that Boston Celtics swingman Jaylen Brown had turned down a four-year, $80 million offer from the franchise was a lot of laughs and you must be crazy tweets.
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/cel...extension-2020

Brown appeared to be a frustrated figure during parts of last NBA season as the Celtics kept changing rotations and line-ups to find a way to get the best from their talents.

Playing for Gregg Popovich, I’ll do that any day of the week."
    For the most part, players hold Popovich in high regard.
    Considering he commands respect in the basketball world, a lock for the Basketball Hall of Fame and puts players first in his system, it is no wonder Brown would want to play for Popovich.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/celtics-jaylen-brown-would-play-for-popovich-any-time

·
    Team USA head coach Gregg Popovich is a big fan of Boston Celtics small forward Jaylen Brown.
    After finishing with 11 points, four rebounds and four assists in Team USA’s win over Brazil on Monday, Brown drew high praise from the legendary San Antonio Spurs coach.
    "He’s a strong player," Popovich said of Brown, via Joe Vardon of The Athletic. "For his size and strength, he moves well and he will penetrate. He can catch and pull it. Get to the rim. And he’s unselfish and finding other people. He’s just kind of an all-around player. He has stepped in and given us good minutes at both ends of the floor for sure."

https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-news-gregg-popovich-calls-jaylen-brown-strong-player/

"So I grew up playing all positions and getting back to that with Coach Pop is just like coming back into myself."
    Brown added Popovich has already helped him improve.
    "Being physical on the rebounds. Pop is being honest with me," Brown said.
    "I'm trying to let all my flaws come out now as we have some of the best coaches to ever coach in this gym so I can get the right direction I need."
    Popovich’s nightly team dinners have further helped the Celtics grow closer.
    "Even guys I've been playing with for two, three years I'm learning more about them," Brown said.
    "When you are outside your comfort zone, halfway across the world, you see things come out of people that you never expect over a glass of wine."
    If the Celtics beat the Spurs during the NBA season and Brown is showing the fruits of his work with Team USA, he knows Popovich won't regret helping him this campaign.
    "I don't think he's going to regret it," Brown said.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/jaylen-brown-says-time-with-popovich-is-bringing-celtics-stars-closer-20190820-p52j1y.html

Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 10-18-2019 at 08:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love would work well with LMA. He can hit the three when LMA kicks out from a post up, and he can go down low and is an excellent rebounder when LMA locks in on his mid-range shot. Love's game has never been about athleticism so his game may stay true for several more years. I do think he is a better fit, right now, with the Spurs roster than DDR.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's far from a pipe dream. It's actually quite realistic

Well he says he respects Pop, I'll give the theory that. I don't think he respects Pop enough to play for less. (If it's not the money, why is he even bothering to talk about the C's offer?) If Boston ponies up the money, he'll be wearing green. If they don't, I don't know how the Spurs pay him that much next season without finding a way out of DDR's contract.

I don't think he's "the answer", but I wouldn't mind having him. But you know better than most how many players over the years have talked like that about the Spurs when they were in the middle of a contract negotiation. And how few of them have actually come here.

Here's what I think: He's going to cost the same amount next year, no matter what. If the Spurs traded for him this season, the Celtics would almost certainly demand a pick. Next year, if he leaves, all the Spurs would have to do is pay him. Either way, next year's cap space hit looks the same. And that doesn't even factor in the fact that he could get traded here, and then decide to leave next year because of money. (I can hear Marcus Morris chuckling from here.)

The Spurs are still in cap . And one of the big keys to getting out of it is rookie scale contracts. I don't like the idea of throwing picks at players right now unless it's just an exceptional value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with DeRozan opting out and waiving Lyles the Spurs open up 32 Million $ of cap space while already being 7 million under the cap. That's more than enough money to sign Jaylen Brown. They got bird rights on Murray, Poeltl and Forbes to go over the cap to extend them while Mills will expire the season after. That's plenty of room to make moves. Also LMA's contract is only guaranteed for 7 Million.

Meanwhile the Celtics will only have about 9 million in cap space. Not sure if they would match

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with DeRozan opting out and waiving Lyles the Spurs open up 32 Million $ of cap space while already being 7 million under the cap. That's more than enough money to sign Jaylen Brown. They got bird rights on Murray, Poeltl and Forbes to go over the cap to extend them while Mills will expire the season after. That's plenty of room to make moves. Also LMA's contract is only guaranteed for 7 Million.

Meanwhile the Celtics will only have about 9 million in cap space. Not sure if they would match
    Would we be able to resign LMA and sign Jaylen Brown?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we don't need to resign him, he's under contract for a dead cheap 24 Million $ next season. Technically they could waive him to clear cap space cause only 7 million are guaranteed, but it would be re ed to do that. So yeah they can easily sign Jaylen Brown and keep everybody else except for DeRozan.
    Other notable realistic free agent targets are Gallinari, Otto Porter, Domantas Sabonis and Buddy Hield.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If DeRozan opts out? Yeah, it works. I can't imagine why he would do that, but if he does there's something to talk about.

Okay, so you know more about Brown than me, and you're pretty sold. I saw him as a good player, but I'm not excited. And the Celtics offered him a lot less than he thinks he's worth.
    What are you seeing? (Sorry for the hijack, but Kevin Love isn't happening, and the whole offseason has been dull.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is "only" due 27 million in his final year if he opts in. I think it's almost a given that he opts out to get one more pay day, especially in an offseason where there ain't a lot of great players on the market.

Teams like the Cavs, Hornets, Grizzlies, Kings and Knicks will have cap space and will be desperate to add a player like him. You can almost bank on the Knicks offering him a max deal given their history. The Raptors will also have a booming 52 million in cap space that offseason, so I could see them reuniting to stay compe ive in a LeBron less East. They won't be good this season.

Even if he opts in, the Spurs could waive Lyles and move Mills who's on an expiring to free up 24 million.

If you want to ask me what I see, replace DeRozan with Jaylen Brown on this years squad and tell me if it improves the team.
    Defense, 3-point shooting and spacing on offense would immediately improve while freeing up minutes for Walker at the guard spot. Brown is only 22 so he lines up with all the other young players we got. We would talk about a Murray, Walker, Brown, White core with Samanic, Weatherspoon and Keldon Johnson ready to crack the rotation. Add LaMarcus on a bargain deal + Rudy Gay and Carroll to that and you got something going forward. Spurs then need to decide if they resign Forbes and Poeltl or let them walk (I'd rather trade Mills).

So hypothetically speaking if they waive Lyles and DeRozan opts out that frees up 32 million so they'd have about 38 million in cap space. They could easily sign Jaylen Brown and then maybe try to add Sabonis or Gallo as well. Then use bird rights on Murray to resign him.

There won't be a lot of suitors cause most franchises got their cap space tied up, that's the Spurs advantage next offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is "only" due 27 million in his final year if he opts in. I think it's almost a given that he opts out to get one more pay day, especially in an offseason where there ain't a lot of great players on the market.

Teams like the Cavs, Hornets, Grizzlies, Kings and Knicks will have cap space and will be desperate to add a player like him. You can almost bank on the Knicks offering him a max deal given their history. The Raptors will also have a booming 52 million in cap space that offseason, so I could see them reuniting to stay compe ive in a LeBron less East. They won't be good this season.

Even if he opts in, the Spurs could waive Lyles and move Mills who's on an expiring to free up 24 million.

If you want to ask me what I see, replace DeRozan with Jaylen Brown on this years squad and tell me if it improves the team.
    Defense, 3-point shooting and spacing on offense would immediately improve while freeing up minutes for Walker at the guard spot. Brown is only 22 so he lines up with all the other young players we got. We would talk about a Murray, Walker, Brown, White core with Samanic, Weatherspoon and Keldon Johnson ready to crack the rotation. Add LaMarcus on a bargain deal + Rudy Gay and Carroll to that and you got something going forward. Spurs then need to decide if they resign Forbes and Poeltl or let them walk (I'd rather trade Mills).

So hypothetically speaking if they waive Lyles and DeRozan opts out that frees up 32 million so they'd have about 38 million in cap space. They could easily sign Jaylen Brown and then maybe try to add Sabonis or Gallo as well. Then use bird rights on Murray to resign him.

There won't be a lot of suitors cause most franchises got their cap space tied up, that's the Spurs advantage next offseason

I get all the cap stuff. I have a hard time thinking that DDR is going to get offered more than the $27M he would get from opting in with the Spurs, but maybe you're right. But if DeRozan is going to get a max deal, it's just more obvious that giving up picks (rookie contracts) is a bad move most of the time.

What I was asking is why you singled out Jaylen Brown specifically. I've never watched him that close, I guess. And lots of guys are better defenders and 3P shooters than DeRozan. nearly everybody. I know people here don't like to admit that they don't know everything, but the Celtics were such a mess last year I hardly watched them at all. I was seriously asking why you like him, specifically, so much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Na--at least DeRozan doesn't miss half of every season with injuries.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

totally agree, make spurs roster younger and more competetive is the only right way but im afraid that patfo isnt so smart to make these moves.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are extremely disrespectful to DDR smh. Kevin Love? Really? What is this, 2013?

DeRozan is coming of one of the most efficient years of his career last year, especially in the playoffs. In only his first year here after spending his entire career in Toronto.

I’m even seeing that scrub Jaylen Brown being thrown in as someone we should trade for he’s not even worth Mills money. He’s the most overrated player in the league and it isn’t close. Celtikkk fans and writers were against trading that scrub for Kawhi last summer. It’s the norm to hype up Boston scrubs for some reason. Just look at what Rozier is making this year and he’s worse than Patty. Let Ainge be forced to overpay a bench player, don’t reward him by gifting him a Kemba-Demar backcourt

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get all the cap stuff. I have a hard time thinking that DDR is going to get offered more than the $27M he would get from opting in with the Spurs, but maybe you're right. But if DeRozan is going to get a max deal, it's just more obvious that giving up picks (rookie contracts) is a bad move most of the time.
    DDR might take somewhat less in the first year of a new deal if it's for 4 years. Or a bad team with lots of cap space might throw a 3-year max at him, 4 if they're bidding against themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a trade that will probably look good for about a year. After that, not so much. He has a big contract and he is not getting any younger.

Also, we do not know what a year DeMar can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other notable realistic free agent targets are Gallinari, Otto Porter, Domantas Sabonis and Buddy Hield.
    LOL. Start an argument and it will go on for days. Ask a real question and crickets. I didn't see any reason to get excited about Jaylen Brown, and I still don't. But I guess I understand the logic.

I've had it stuck in my head for so long that nobody but the Spurs would throw max-ish money at DDR. But looking at who is going to be available, I guess it's possible. If that story above is true, Jaylen Brown is offended by 4/$80M - so I guess 4/$100M for DDR is a no-brainer. And $25M per would only be $2M less for next season and he'd have another $75M over the next three years. So, yeah, if he opts out that's a definite win for him. I guess Jaylen Brown is better than any other realistic possibility. I still can't say the idea thrills me, but at least he defends and hits 3's at an almost adequate rate.

If DDR is really opting out, and the only way to keep him is to hand him an even worse contract for four years, he needs to go sooner rather than later. An expiring and a pick would be a win. I'd trade him for Chandler Parsons (expiring) and Kevin Huerter, if they would throw in a pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar vs. Memphis 3/3 from behind the arc *lol*
    you sure about Kevin Love?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah n its not just that he was 3/3 but the way he shot them looked effortless. He barely had ball in his hands n was letting it fly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. Start an argument and it will go on for days. Ask a real question and crickets. I didn't see any reason to get excited about Jaylen Brown, and I still don't. But I guess I understand the logic.

I've had it stuck in my head for so long that nobody but the Spurs would throw max-ish money at DDR. But looking at who is going to be available, I guess it's possible. If that story above is true, Jaylen Brown is offended by 4/$80M - so I guess 4/$100M for DDR is a no-brainer. And $25M per would only be $2M less for next season and he'd have another $75M over the next three years. So, yeah, if he opts out that's a definite win for him. I guess Jaylen Brown is better than any other realistic possibility. I still can't say the idea thrills me, but at least he defends and hits 3's at an almost adequate rate.

If DDR is really opting out, and the only way to keep him is to hand him an even worse contract for four years, he needs to go sooner rather than later. An expiring and a pick would be a win. I'd trade him for Chandler Parsons (expiring) and Kevin Huerter, if they would throw in a pick.
    I just can't see DeMar taking less especially with the Raptors and Knicks having that much cap space being desperate to add a star player. With that being said if he hits the 3 consistently the Spurs should look to extend him and I believe he would give them a discount. Anything under 30 million is cool with me

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can see a world where the Celtics struggle out the gate and feel forced to shake things up to compete with Philly and Bucks. Jaylen drama, another Hayward injury, pressure on the coach, etc. The spurs will have their own pressures— future of their “stars” and glut of small guards.

In that world why not a deal structured around DDR + White + asset(s) for Hayward + Brown?

White feels like the odd man out; one year of Hayward (yes at more $$), but not impacting future space too much. Future upside for Cs too.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hayward what why

Thread Information