Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...tober-16-2019/

Tl;dr: Murray and Aldridge look ready. White and Poeltl looked good off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx for the grades ... nothing to disagree from my side

having White and Poeltl off the bench obviously is a part of the puzzle ... hopefully Aldridge is willing to play center this season more often than not - it worked against those Rockets

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, only preseason, but the offense sure looked good without DD on the floor. I really expected him to come in with some semblance of a 3 point shot. This just shows how l that overall spacing is hurt by him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up and good showing Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, only preseason, but the offense sure looked good without DD on the floor. I really expected him to come in with some semblance of a 3 point shot. This just shows how l that overall spacing is hurt by him.
    It's not like Walker spread the floor instead. It seems that this had more to do with LMA getting going and the bench connection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like Walker spread the floor instead. It seems that this had more to do with LMA getting going and the bench connection.
    exactly ... if Demar could just play man2man defense like Walker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Leader is turning into a complete player

Not having Demar has increased the dynamism of our offensive, which is a plus point

Mills and Marco can't play anything but a few minutes, Walker needs all the minutes needed to speed up his development.

I still believe that with a player like Morris we could scare the league this year

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if it is just preseason, this win was really encouraging. The rockets played their game on offense and even though they weren’t trying, I’ve seen many a Pringle team play defense like that in the most crucial moments. Whatever the Spurs are destined for, I’m excited to see an underwhelming 2019-20 Rockets team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades and write-up. I'm on the other side of the planet, so this was great to read!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. Agree on the grades. While I would’ve wanted Aldridge to attack the rim more against smaller defenders which could’ve given him an A+. The absence of Demar noticeably seemed to have created better spacing. I know it’s pre-season and it’s just one game but it should give a hint that Spurs would be better off with a forward who can hit the 3 while playing better defense, but it’s for another thread. I love Murray/White aggressively looking for their shots and could seem to score at will. Lonnie is still very raw, but showed a lot of potential when he finally figures it out. Lyles seemed to be in the program, which is a big positive because the kid has a lot talent if properly motivated. All in all, I like the way Spurs responded from the last game and kept their feet on the pedal through 48 minutes. Another good showing against Griz and they could be ready for the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been wanting us to bring Poeltl off the bench and have Gay/Carroll (or Lyles idc) start alongside Aldridge for better spacing. It seems like White plays better with Poeltl and without Gay so we should probably just start Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good write-up .

Ball just moves better without DeMar in the lineup tbh.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's got to be a little bit of a concern that the Rockets played pretty uninspired and still put up 114 points. The Spurs aren't going to have three 30-point quarters often. At least the Rockets' biggest quarter was the 4th, against some guys that are likely to be in Austin. But they still put some pretty big dents in the Spurs' defense in the first three. It concerns me because most of us are talking about the Spurs' D as the thing that's going to win a lot of games this season.

I've read a lot of comments crowing about that SL last night. But no team, including the Spurs, is going to thrive with two starters scoring 5 and 2 points. Admittedly it was only 22 and 20 minutes respectively. But I wasn't left with any reason to suspect that either of those guys would have scored a lot of points if only they got more minutes. I've scoured too many box scores over the years, and it's hard for even scoring machines like Harden or Westbrook to overcome two guys in the SL having that little scoring impact. The other team can make the scoring machine so inefficient that even if they put up 50, the team still loses. Regardless of what positives you might extract from Lyles' outing, or what you thought about the spacing, that lineup can't happen.

White/Poeltl was fun to watch last year, and I expect them to just get better as their familiarity increases. Poeltl does a good job cutting to the rim. his timing is good, and he adjusts his pace to maintain a passing lane. I get frustrated watching so many big men blindly sprint to the rim, and leaving no hope of ever getting a pass to them other than a lob. Last year the Spurs missed out on a lot of easy points because the other players (other than White) just seemed to be blind to Poeltl cutting. I liked the idea of White starting this year, but if they're both coming off the bench at least that's a solid weapon for the second unit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People talking about the Rockets not trying on defense...uh...yeah they were...they are just awful because Jeff Bzdelik is gone...

Remember the defense was so bad last year they had to beg him to come back and coach it...I don't understand why people try to act like Jeff isn't the reason Carmelo was let go since he was so bad defensively...

Rockets don't have some defensive gear they can hit...Tucker is the only above average defender on that team...

They played Ryan Anderson at the 5

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - does any other team in the league have someone doing grades after every game like this? I went looking for info on another game a couple of days ago, and it really hit home just how nice it is to be able to come read these writeups. Thanks to TIMVP - can't say it often enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uninspired or not ... the Rockets have great offensive players and will score against any defense and the Spurs will always be able to score against them as well. Harden played 34 minutes in a preseason game. I keep positive vibes from last night ...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really liked what I saw from Walker defensively and I'm not worried about his offense. He has all the tools and good mechanics on his jump shot. He absolutely needs to play over Marco and hopefully he forces the issue with his play. This game also illustrated how DDR really bogs down the offense with his 1on1 game. The offensive flow looked much better in this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs finally looked like they gave a crap, and there was some team cohesion, both offensively and defensively.

The young guys, Murray and White in particular, have me excited about this season. Aldridge looked rugged and ready. I like Luka's skillset.

Mills wasn't good, back to chucking unnecessary 4th quarter 3 pt misses. Belli was hitting shots which made his game good, otherwise that D is horrific. Metu might be the worst basketball player I've ever seen in an NBA uniform. I watched him get blown by on a drive that looked like a kid who'd never tried to defend before. His -10 in like 7 minutes of play was no accident. He was a freaking turnstile.

Time to hand the keys to the young guys with Aldridge as the alpha.

Don't extend DDR Pop...don't!! Save that money to retain your young talent base.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as good as timvp, and without grades, but Peachtree Hoops [SBNation Hawks site] is pretty consistent on game reporting wit individual analysis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie was incredible defensively. He took good shots within the offense that just hit back iron or rimmed in and out ( including his shots around the basket).

He should get an A - for his work on Harden alone.

Other than that, I agree with most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - does any other team in the league have someone doing grades after every game like this? I went looking for info on another game a couple of days ago, and it really hit home just how nice it is to be able to come read these writeups. Thanks to TIMVP - can't say it often enough.
    We are the most spoiled fanbase ever.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game should reinforce that extending DDR would be an all-time bonehead move by Pop and RC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uninspired or not ... the Rockets have great offensive players and will score against any defense and the Spurs will always be able to score against them as well. Harden played 34 minutes in a preseason game. I keep positive vibes from last night ...
    tbh, most teams are uninspired during the pre-season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We traded Bertans for scrubs like Carroll and Lyles??????

2 points for 40 minutes of play???????!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I second this. TIMVP does a great job. Really appreciated.

Thread Information