Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. Well, at least I've not heard people here (liberal or not) call dubya senior an idiot anyways.
    I don't think this place was here when Bush Sr was POTUS

Hindsight is different. Reagan was hated by the left while he was in office. Reaganomics was constantly being slammed by the dems.

Granted Winehole es about everything on both sides constantly. Even the extreme left isn't far enough left for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manny on Bush

Manny on Obama

What's changed?
    Well, dubya jr *was* an idiot.

I was referring to his dad. He was probably one of the finest presidents I remember.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was referring to his dad. He was probably one of the finest presidents I remember.
    Favorite president of my lifetime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Originally Posted by DMC
    I'm a lib too and I resent that remark
    Leaving aside the fact that so called liberals and conservatives in the USA represent two flavors of political liberalism, do you really find labels for political orientation helpful for understanding issues or deciding who to believe?

If so, how so?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leaving aside the fact that so called liberals and conservatives in the USA represent two flavors of political liberalism, do you really find labels for political orientation helpful for understanding issues or deciding who to believe?

If so, how so?
    I would love to see an end to the winner take all congressional district and the US adopt proportional representation. Organically, multiple new parties would spring up and the days of bilateral political thought would fade away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see an end to the winner take all congressional district and the US adopt proportional representation. Organically, multiple new parties would spring up and the days of bilateral political thought would fade away.
    Ranked choice voting might might also tend toward this result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If so, how so?
    I find it works wonderfully. If you know who swings what way already, you begin to not only understand why they say these things you might be completely against, but you can predict who will say them, and the line down the middle is often pretty clear.

It's the same for religion. You already know the arguments for and against, and you know when you confront a theist, if they are new and excited and get all their talking points from theist based websites, you can just close your eyes damn near and go down the list of logical fallacies and just get right down to "you just have to have faith" at which point the debate ends.

You won't convert a liberal and you won't convert a right winger, but you might get some middle of the road folks who agree on certain issues and disagree on others, who might be swayed to compromise to get some equilibrium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The ones who only do 4 years seem to be better in my opinion as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ thousand points of light/new world order being the finest/favorite POTUS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it works wonderfully. If you know who swings what way already, you begin to not only understand why they say these things you might be completely against, but you can predict who will say them, and the line down the middle is often pretty clear.

It's the same for religion. You already know the arguments for and against, and you know when you confront a theist, if they are new and excited and get all their talking points from theist based websites, you can just close your eyes damn near and go down the list of logical fallacies and just get right down to "you just have to have faith" at which point the debate ends.

You won't convert a liberal and you won't convert a right winger, but you might get some middle of the road folks who agree on certain issues and disagree on others, who might be swayed to compromise to get some equilibrium.
    Seems to me a lot of misunderstandings are possible by using political orientation -- and whatever one already associates with those orientations -- as a heuristic. People are lot more complex than that IMHO, but I suppose one virtue of having a mind is that it simplifies reality.

Describing politics as a two dimensional spectrum seems more customary and folklorical than rigorous or scientific, but it makes sense in a country that has only two electorally effective factions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New World Order? You talking about that wrestling organization Hulk Hogan was in? Bush 41 pro wrestled???

Whoa true if huge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ranked choice voting might might also tend toward this result.
    It definitely weakens parties ability to crony up but despite ~9 states doing it we aren't seeing new parties arise.

I just like proportional representation because out of over 600 congressional seats you are probably going to see multiple new parties and you get rid of all the gerrymandering. Of course you are likely going to see some undesirable types like fascists or communist totalitarians getting a seat but I imagine many of the GOP and democratic party would prefer not to be shoehorned in with them as it is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't a big fan of his buzzwords either nor did I like NAFTA but he was pragmatic economically and ended the Reaganomics stupidity, he oversaw the peaceful dissolution of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, and he strongly supported science and technology research.

I mean it's not a high bar we're talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris prefers a brazenly corrupt demagogue, so long as he's mean to libs and swarthy persons of dubious social value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.S. troops in Syria headed to Iraq, not home, despite Trump’s claims

While President Trump insists he’s bringing home Americans from “endless wars” in the Mideast,

his Pentagon chief says

all U.S. troops leaving Syria will go to western Iraq and the American military will continue operations against the Islamic State group.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-10-21/american-troops-syria-iraq-bound?utm_source=Today%27s+Headlines&utm_campaign= 36e7e01155-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_12_COPY_01&utm_medium=email &utm_term=0_b04355194f-36e7e01155-80027601

Commander-in-chief!

It's <anytime of the day>, do you know where your troops are?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iraq was tells us troops to get the out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't a big fan of his buzzwords either nor did I like NAFTA but he was pragmatic economically and ended the Reaganomics stupidity, he oversaw the peaceful dissolution of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, and he strongly supported science and technology research.

I mean it's not a high bar we're talking about.
    Yep, not to mention he kept his Middle East intervention to what was necessary and then moved out. Sure, he had flaws, almost all of presidents do, but his presidency was largely a no-drama affair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    erdodog reaches agreement with putin. Russian and Syrian army will deploy in northern syria. turkey will deploy in a very limited area

great news for syrian peeps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manny on Bush

Manny on Obama

What's changed?
    I got older and stopped spending much time in this hole. See how many threads I've started for Trump.

But it's all good cause Trump can't hold a candle to Obama. Couldn't even repeal Obamacare. Trump is a disgrace but he's the last gasp of a racist Boomer generation and a bunch of loser lonley white dudes who love to hang around in the worst places on the internet. What are you guys going to do when he's gone and the country moves on from this show? What's Trump's lasting legislative legacy? All these short term actions that hurt immigrants or help Putin aren't doing for racist boomers that are dying off or lonley irrelevant white dudes who want to be victims so badly. Sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WHITE PEOPLE BAD! ORANGE MAN BAD TOO!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Orange man circling the drain. Very bad.

Bill Taylor might have crushed him today.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Orange man circling the drain. Very bad.

Bill Taylor might have crushed him today.
    aren’t you glad you defected from the cult a few months back?

aren’t you a bit disturbed with yourself for having defended this criminal for a couple of years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donald J. Trump
    realDonaldTrump
    ·
    9m
    Good news seems to be happening with respect to Turkey, Syria and the Middle East. Further reports to come later!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aren’t you glad you defected from the cult a few months back?

aren’t you a bit disturbed with yourself for having defended this criminal for a couple of years?
    Nope.

I never was part of the cult, and I never defended Trump.

Criticizing your harebrained and frankly indiscriminate accusations of treason against anyine who varies wven a little bit from your take isn't tantamount to being a Trumpista.

It never was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not on your side, Spurs Homer. I probably never will be.

Thread Information