Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It’s remarkable to me that Republicans fawn over free market principles in every situation except for one obscure instance when it would benefit poor and predominantly black kids in their late teens / early twenties.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Many programs honor the commitment and won't pull the scholarship
    There’s nothing in this new law that would stop them from continuing to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s remarkable to me that Republicans fawn over free market principles in every situation except for one obscure instance when it would benefit poor and predominantly black kids in their late teens / early twenties.
    I am all for the kids getting paid. It will be interesting to see how it reshapes the NCAA landscape. What colleges will be the San Antonio's and Milwaukee's of the college sports world where no one really wants to go?

Big difference from the pros is that pros get drafted to low win teams whereas in college the best players will likely go to the larger market colleges.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I am all for the kids getting paid. It will be interesting to see how it reshapes the NCAA landscape. What colleges will be the San Antonio's and Milwaukee's of the college sports world where no one really wants to go?

Big difference from the pros is that pros get drafted to low win teams whereas in college the best players will likely go to the larger market colleges.
    I think when it’s all said and done the NBA and NFL will eventually have their own minor league system for kids to go right out of high school (and I mean a real minor league, not stupid like the D-league) which is where all of the elite recruits will end up going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think when it’s all said and done the NBA and NFL will eventually have their own minor league system for kids to go right out of high school (and I mean a real minor league, not stupid like the D-league) which is where all of the elite recruits will end up going.
    The issue with that is that not all the elite HS folks will become pro level players, and if they aren't, they'll not only not have a pro level income, they won't even have an education. Not like the radio and television or comms degrees these athletes get ever amounts to anything, since if they aren't in pro sports - ever - they aren't going to become broadcasters suddenly. They'll likely be Remax agents or something... maybe YMCA coaches.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The issue with that is that not all the elite HS folks will become pro level players, and if they aren't, they'll not only not have a pro level income, they won't even have an education.
    I think people in the class you’re describing are the ones who won’t be able to command money from college teams free market or not so the best option for them will be to go to college on scholarship like they always have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, that's a reach considering ducks and frosting are the only ones who really posted in here and neither said that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST racists don't want college blacks to make money

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    LOL, that's a reach considering ducks and frosting are the only ones who really posted in here and neither said that.
    ducks and frostking aren't arguing against college athletes getting paid ITT? Could have fooled me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people in the class you’re describing are the ones who won’t be able to command money from college teams free market or not so the best option for them will be to go to college on scholarship like they always have.
    funny yall call me a republican day and night here on ST but somehow my "republican" voice means nothing. yall are worse than FakeNews!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    funny yall call me a republican day and night here on ST but somehow my "republican" voice means nothing. yall are worse than FakeNews!
    You strike me as more of a libertarian at heart who's gotten suckered by politicians who've blur the line between Republican and libertarian too much in the last 10 years, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You strike me as more of a libertarian at heart who's gotten suckered by politicians who've blur the line between Republican and libertarian too much in the last 10 years, tbh.
    i guess if i had to cling to a specific pol ideology then it would be libertarian because i def don't see myself as a liberal nor a republican. i'm merely a fence sitter who is sick of this PC world we live in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ducks and frostking aren't arguing against college athletes getting paid ITT? Could have fooled me.
    Ducks says he thinks they should be paid. Frost king argues how it will hurt a lot of other schools.

So, it's a reach. Also two guys, one being a troll racist and the other being ducks, representing all "Republicans" is a reach. Its ducks and a troll racist.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, Kori wants to make something about him. Again.

Dude, get a life. Get a woman. Get a friend. Go get a cat. Something, anything to give you the attention you crave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, Kori wants to make something about him. Again.

Dude, get a life. Get a woman. Get a friend. Go get a cat. Something, anything to give you the attention you crave.
    i woke up next to my lady today but yeah i need to get a woman... keep on being a dip you old lame ! as well, gots like you love cats so i wouldn't doubt if you have a few at your pad. i'd never suggest a cat to anyone but then again i'm no got like you are.

btw, i wasn't trying to make it about me but seeing how yall claim i am such a republican it's quite comical that i was one of the first to agree with college athletes getting paid and still got overlooked because it didn't fit the narrative yall are trying to push.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Ducks says he thinks they should be paid. Frost king argues how it will hurt a lot of other schools.

So, it's a reach. Also two guys, one being a troll racist and the other being ducks, representing all "Republicans" is a reach. Its ducks and a troll racist.
    Ducks (assuming I'm reading his incoherent 47-chromosome-induced ramblings correctly) wants the amount they're paid to be a controlled stipend, which is better than saying no pay at all but it's still anti-free market.

Others on this site have argued against payment iirc, DarrinS and Wild Chodebrah being the two biggest examples.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i woke up next to my lady today but yeah i need to get a woman... keep on being a dip you old lame ! as well, gots like you love cats so i wouldn't doubt if you have a few at your pad. i'd never suggest a cat to anyone but then again i'm no got like you are.

btw, i wasn't trying to make it about me but seeing how yall claim i am such a republican it's quite comical that i was one of the first to agree with college athletes getting paid and still got overlooked because it didn't fit the narrative yall are trying to push.
    Sure, sure. You're screaming your ty existence to everyone who doesnt care. Shut up, you femme. Go whine to your "woman".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ducks and a troll racist.
    yeah, hate to break it to you but this is the main trump republican base in 2019 lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, sure. You're screaming your ty existence to everyone who doesnt care. Shut up, you femme. Go whine to your "woman".
    lol you old stupid trying to be hip on an internet messageboard...

you claim this and that about me but i'm just supposed to sit back and allow it? yeah you're definitely a liberal piece of !

you're just an old got with cats and a woman who's all dried up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^case in point choochie^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^case in point choochie^
    ^weak got aarony^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducks (assuming I'm reading his incoherent 47-chromosome-induced ramblings correctly) wants the amount they're paid to be a controlled stipend, which is better than saying no pay at all but it's still anti-free market.

Others on this site have argued against payment iirc, DarrinS and Wild Chodebrah being the two biggest examples.
    I don't see how colleges that receive federal funds are part of the free market. They aren't required to be self sufficient, so the fact that they can operate their athletic programs without making a profit on them sort of disqualifies them from the free market model, I would think. I'd have to defer to your opinion on this. The students that get accepted into these colleges aren't required to be media attractions, or to have endorsements. For those that can swing it though, where does the line in the sand exist between what the public funds provide and what the athlete is raking in? how does the athlete risk anything? If they can't swing an endorsement, they still get a free education. If they can, they get money and a free education.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don't see how colleges that receive federal funds are part of the free market. They aren't required to be self sufficient, so the fact that they can operate their athletic programs without making a profit on them sort of disqualifies them from the free market model, I would think. I'd have to defer to your opinion on this. The students that get accepted into these colleges aren't required to be media attractions, or to have endorsements. For those that can swing it though, where does the line in the sand exist between what the public funds provide and what the athlete is raking in? how does the athlete risk anything? If they can't swing an endorsement, they still get a free education. If they can, they get money and a free education.
    I think college football and college basketball are both free market enterprises. Multi-billion dollar TV deals, coaches who get paid into the 7-8 figures, stadiums that hold even more seats and bring in even more money than pro stadiums do, etc. I get your point and I think it applies to nearly every other aspect of a federally funded college, but basketball and football function differently, which is why I think the argument that football/basketball players are amateurs who are there for an education as much as they're there to play sports is absurd. These programs have become outliers that function differently than the rest of the college does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think college football and college basketball are both free market enterprises. Multi-billion dollar TV deals, coaches who get paid into the 7-8 figures, stadiums that hold even more seats and bring in even more money than pro stadiums do, etc. I get your point and I think it applies to nearly every other aspect of a federally funded college, but basketball and football function differently, which is why I think the argument that football/basketball players are amateurs who are there for an education as much as they're there to play sports is absurd. These programs have become outliers that function differently than the rest of the college does.
    What if this was being done at the HS level? Would that change anything?

Someone at Duke will make bank. Someone at Baylor won't even if the better player is at Baylor. For football QBs and RBs might make money, maybe a WR.

Could you imagine how the role players would not be as compelled to dish the ball if making the points means a possible endorsement vs giving it up and giving the money to the "star" player instead? Wouldn't there need to be some incentive for role players other than free education?

Will the athlete be beholden to the school or the sponsor?
    Last edited by DMC; 10-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You quote right wing talking points ( fakenews) and bash anything moderate or liberal. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. . . . .

Thread Information