Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://time.com/5689548/california-ncaa-law/

After word broke around 10 a.m. ET Monday that California governor Gavin Newsom signed into law SB 206, the historic bill that would allow college athletes in the state to profit off their name, image, and likeness and sign endorsement deals despite NCAA rules forbidding them, Pennsylvania state representative Dan Miller sensed an opportunity. He phoned Ramogi Huma, the former UCLA college football player and executive director of the National College Players Association, who helped push through the California legislation. Miller consulted with Huma on possible next steps for his state. By 2:20 p.m., Miller and Pennsylvania House member Ed Gainey, a fellow Democrat, circulated a bill, the Pennsylvania “Fair Pay to Play Act,” which will “capitalize on recent efforts in California to help balance the scales and allow our college athletes to sign endorsement deals, earn compensation for their name, image, and likeness, and sign licensing contracts that will allow them to earn money,” the lawmakers wrote in a memo. Miller and Gainey are seeking a bipartisan group of legislatures to sign onto the bill before formally introducing it. The California law, also known as the “Fair Pay to Play Act,” passed both the Assembly (73-0) and the Senate (39-0) without a single no vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you have no opinion about it, just an RG/Ducks/Boutons style regurgitation of an article?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

too bad you live with your parents, play 2k in their garage, and went to school for lithographs instead of becoming the nba baller you could never be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you have no opinion about it, just an RG/Ducks/Boutons style regurgitation of an article?
    his intellect is too much for us so he refrains from supplying us with his godly wisdom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

too bad you live with your parents, play 2k in their garage, and went to school for lithographs instead of becoming the nba baller you could never be.
    You suck as a fiction writer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's big news IMO. Students will now be able to make money and take jobs.

I do like how butthurt I get you and Joey. Like peas in a pod.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm butthurt you faux intellectual?

either way, college athletes should get paid if the school is banking off them.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The students are the ones being hurt; but this doesn't matter to Fuzzy. As long as they're being indoctrinated to vote Democrat, that doesn't matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's big news IMO. Students will now be able to make money and take jobs.

I'm sure it's not exclusive news. Anyone here can find an article about it. You're another one of those article regurgitating gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You suck as a fiction writer.
    While all that you post about how smart you are and your predictions of the election are great fiction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While all that you post about how smart you are and your predictions of the election are great fiction.
    Again. The week of the election I spoke of the election being within the margin of error. You keep repeating yourself after being refuted; it makes you look dim. Cognitive dissonance is a .

And I really do not write about how smart I am. I call out stupidity. I get why that bothers you as you identify with it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Terrible development. Will hurt 99.99% of college athletes and probably kill off many programs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again. The week of the election I spoke of the election being within the margin of error. You keep repeating yourself after being refuted; it makes you look dim. Cognitive dissonance is a .

And I really do not write about how smart I am. I call out stupidity. I get why that bothers you as you identify with it.
    I showed your conflicting posts. Joust at that. Hillary is polished politician and lawyer prior to election, Hillary is an awful candidate after she loses.

Hey, you're on a sports forum. People swap sides all the time, it's what alts are for here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I showed your conflicting posts. Joust at that. Hillary is polished politician and lawyer prior to election, Hillary is an awful candidate after she loses.

Hey, you're on a sports forum. People swap sides all the time, it's what alts are for here.
    You posted something from July and another thing from 2 days before the Comey bombs . That is not in conflict as I stated once she dived in the polls subsequent to that I started speaking to the new reality.

You've had this explained to you several times. Things changing over time seems to be a struggle for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You posted something from July and another thing from 2 days before the Comey bombs . That is not in conflict as I stated once she dived in the polls subsequent to that I started speaking to the new reality.

You've had this explained to you several times. Things changing over time seems to be a struggle for you.
    Why are you so stupid? I am not talking about the polls or the outcome of the election. I am talking about you claiming Hillary is a polished lawyer and politician, then saying she was an awful candidate.

If she wasn't an awful candidate in July 2016, what changed about her political and lawyering abilities to precipitate that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you so stupid? I am not talking about the polls or the outcome of the election. I am talking about you claiming Hillary is a polished lawyer and politician, then saying she was an awful candidate.

If she wasn't an awful candidate in July 2016, what changed about her political and lawyering abilities to precipitate that?
    that's not what you were arguing initially. you've now moved the goalposts to this. even if you're right, so what?

and nothing has happened to her political or lawyering abilities. as I pointed out to you in the post you've been dodging with this ever since, the election was about alleged corruption a la Clinton Cash and the Comey bombs the week before the election.

You are a dimwit if you don't care about the polls because the election turned because of those particularly the latter. What do correlation mean?

I must say your narrative of how the election this time around was going to go was steeped in ignorance and far right wishcasting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not what you were arguing initially. you've now moved the goalposts to this. even if you're right, so what?

and nothing has happened to her political or lawyering abilities. as I pointed out to you in the post you've been dodging with this ever since, the election was about alleged corruption a la Clinton Cash and the Comey bombs the week before the election.

You are a dimwit if you don't care about the polls because the election turned because of those particularly the latter. What do correlation mean?

I must say your narrative of how the election this time around was going to go was steeped in ignorance and far right wishcasting.
    Haha you're such a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on how much they make will determine how it will effect the sport

I wanted athletes to make some money so they could buy things
    Like 3-4 k a month free school
    That is more then fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is more then fair
    Luckily college athletes will be able to make as much as the free market will bear.

the industry you work in should limit your income.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible development. Will hurt 99.99% of college athletes and probably kill off many programs.
    you don't like free markets?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    you don't like free markets?
    The big villain in all this is the NFL. Because they could/should have created a functional development league as MLB/NBA/NHL etc have but they enjoyed sitting back and waiting while NCAA did all the heavy lifting.

I don't see how CFB can continue when any booster (the schools with the largest/wealthiest and most committed to Football) can create "a business" and hire recruits. Schools should in part now slash the benefits they offer student-athletes forcing the other 99.99% to also "work". And what happens when player tears his knee and is no longer employed by "a business" and struggles to pay his tuition?

California ignorantly just opened up an enormous cluster . Specifically in terms of Football - if I'm a 2nd tier Conference I dump the NCAA and establish my own league with 12 game seasons and pay the players x,000 amount per year. Ton of kids from the inner city will sign up.

And my point about programs dying off is because CFB indirectly funds a bunch of these struggling sports especially female. Bye bye to womens sports as some schools will not be able or willing to directly pay players.

Also goodbye to those "worthless" college degrees Dequan was able to fall back on. Now when he's bankrupt and unemployed at 25, he can celebrate that tiny amount of money he was paid in the "free market"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big villain in all this is the NFL. Because they could/should have created a functional development league as MLB/NBA/NHL etc have but they enjoyed sitting back and waiting while NCAA did all the heavy lifting.

I don't see how CFB can continue when any booster (the schools with the largest/wealthiest and most committed to Football) can create "a business" and hire recruits. Schools should in part now slash the benefits they offer student-athletes forcing the other 99.99% to also "work". And what happens when player tears his knee and is no longer employed by "a business" and struggles to pay his tuition?

California ignorantly just opened up an enormous cluster . Specifically in terms of Football - if I'm a 2nd tier Conference I dump the NCAA and establish my own league with 12 game seasons and pay the players x,000 amount per year. Ton of kids from the inner city will sign up.

And my point about programs dying off is because CFB indirectly funds a bunch of these struggling sports especially female. Bye bye to womens sports as some schools will not be able or willing to directly pay players.

Also goodbye to those "worthless" college degrees Dequan was able to fall back on. Now when he's bankrupt and unemployed at 25, he can celebrate that tiny amount of money he was paid in the "free market"
    the law doesn't require schools to pay athletes; the NCAA still has their trust. Their ability to give scholarships is unabated. Their ability to require passing grades to play is still there.

The article addresses the issue of women's athletics. you should read it. Suppressing wages amongst one group to fund another is literally communism anyway.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what happens when player tears his knee and is no longer employed by "a business" and struggles to pay his tuition?
    The player already got ed in that case since athletic scholarships are only year to year.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

That is more then fair
    Why can’t college athletes benefit from your beloved free market system the same way everyone else does?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The player already got ed in that case since athletic scholarships are only year to year.
    Many programs honor the commitment and won't pull the scholarship

Thread Information