Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "football/basketball players are amateurs who are there for an education as much as they're there to play sports is absurd"

I remember hearing about the Darrel Royal '60s Univ Texas football players segregated in their own dorm, eating in their own dining room.

No doubt that is the norm in most Division I programs now.

Money and money chasing prioritized over everything.

Sorta like the comment that Harvard U is effectively a $40B investment fund which stoops to share its name with a university subsidiary.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    ducks and frostking aren't arguing against college athletes getting paid ITT? Could have fooled me.
    Sharing from a CFB forum
    "How much college athletes worth to universities? That's easy to answer and calculate. In the case of football and men's basketball, it is the full cost of a scholarship, each year, for 5 years. This includes all tuition, books, room, board, medical care, nutritionist, tutors, equipment, facilities, insurance, transportation to and from their home, tickets to games, special accommodations for learning disabilities, clothing/uniforms, rehab/training staff and equipment, compliance staff, security, coaching and counseling. Today in a P5 school, this is estimated to cost between $400 to $500 thousand per scholarship. There are 100 or so students on scholarship in these 2 sports. In 2017, NCAA schools granted over $4BILLON in athletic scholarships; that's 4 with a B dollars. This does not apparently include the fixed costs of coaching, facilities, equipment, security, etc. Just tuition, books room and board."

If the student-athletes have part-time jobs then some/many of these benefits should be eliminated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the student-athletes have part-time jobs then some/many of these benefits should be eliminated.
    one of the many hard-core ST racists wanting to screw blacks in every possible, most remote way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You quote right wing talking points ( fakenews) and bash anything moderate or liberal. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. . . . .
    if it posts like ducks...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    one of the many hard-core ST racists wanting to screw blacks in every possible, most remote way.
    A) Taking into account all sports especially female - the percentage of blacks isn't that large

B) These changes will hurt blacks especially those from the inner city. Teenage blacks with the freedom to act responsibly with their education money.

The current system guarantees these kids will at-least walk away with a college degree. You will now see a shift towards a European style. Based on the short shelf life of professional athletes - these changes will further cripple the black community

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You quote right wing talking points ( fakenews) and bash anything moderate or liberal. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. . . . .
    i never quote anything but you losers here on ST tbh. you talk out of your ass you faux intellectual duck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Football, basketball win because of blacks. It ain't a percentage of blacks that's important.

Blacks aren't given given generous full scholarships based on their their need, or their size, but because they make teams win and bring the $10Ms of revenue.

If black athletes can get some liquidity from non-sports-playing side-hustles, WTF not? (unless your a racist relentlessly ing over blacks)

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Football, basketball win because of blacks. It ain't a percentage of blacks that's important.

Blacks aren't given given generous full scholarships based on their their need, or their size, but because they make teams win and bring the $10Ms of revenue.

If black athletes can get some liquidity from non-sports-playing side-hustles, WTF not? (unless your a racist relentlessly ing over blacks)
    Football & basketball represent a tiny portion of the student-athlete pool

Why don't these "black" athletes turn professional after high school? That option exists.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Football & basketball represent a tiny portion of the student-athlete pool

Why don't these "black" athletes turn professional after high school? That option exists.
    That’s a disingenuous argument, we both know that going to play pro overseas and skipping college kills draft stock and gets the athlete blackballed from the NFL or NBA.

Provide me with even one example where a top prospect was able to skip college without it impacting his draft stock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a disingenuous argument, we both know that going to play pro overseas and skipping college kills draft stock and gets the athlete blackballed from the NFL or NBA.

Provide me with even one example where a top prospect was able to skip college without it impacting his draft stock.
    Lebron

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Well why should the NCAA diminish it's product because the NFL acts in such a manner

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He went straight from high school and wasn’t required to waste a year in some ty irrelevant Euroleague. I clearly wasn’t talking about players who were able to go straight from HS to the NBA.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Well why should the NCAA diminish it's product because the NFL acts in such a manner
    You’re a naive re if you don’t think the 3 year rule is a coordinated effort the NFL and NCAA both have their hands in. It benefits both of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re a naive re if you don’t think the 3 year rule is a coordinated effort the NFL and NCAA both have their hands in. It benefits both of them.
    Same guy can be carrying a rifle in Iraq but not a football in Dallas because he's not ready mentally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what about someone who accepts a 4 year scholarship to play ball for college X, becomes a star in year 2 and then Kawhi Leonards his way to a bigger school so he can get paid? Will lower ranked schools become farming systems for top tier, high profile schools?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So what about someone who accepts a 4 year scholarship to play ball for college X, becomes a star in year 2 and then Kawhi Leonards his way to a bigger school so he can get paid? Will lower ranked schools become farming systems for top tier, high profile schools?
    The scholarships aren’t for 4 years, they’re year-to-year and the school has no obligation to renew them each year. People think the schools are making a 4 year commitment to athletes and they’re simply not.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The scholarships aren’t for 4 years, they’re year-to-year and the school has no obligation to renew them each year. People think the schools are making a 4 year commitment to athletes and they’re simply not.
    hey you did you serve your country?

i ate army food.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why can’t college athletes benefit from your beloved free market system the same way everyone else does?
    The schools need the income from sports so others can go there to keep the cost down

If they take to much money the price to attend will go up

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    People watch CFB for the programs
    People watch NFL for the players (fantasy)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey you did you serve your country?

i ate army food.
    You're so much better with help. Hopefully you get some soon. Come on guise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will lower ranked schools become a talent farm for the bigger schools?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Will lower ranked schools become a talent farm for the bigger schools?
    If they are then who cares. I don’t see why we should communize college athletics just to make it so Bum State U can keep the recruit it was lucky to get. They’re not a victim as far as I’m concerned, the real victim in my book is their recruit who’s forced to play for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they are then who cares. I don’t see why we should communize college athletics just to make it so Bum State U can keep the recruit it was lucky to get. They’re not a victim as far as I’m concerned, the real victim in my book is their recruit who’s forced to play for free.
    If that's the case will some of these smaller schools stop offering basketball and football scholarships to students they think will flee to money schools, when those could go to someone who needs the education instead?

Imagine the NBA didn't use the draft, but allowed anyone to go to any team they wanted. How would the NBA fare in terms of compe iveness? It's damn near there now, but they do have to wait a couple years in a system. Maybe the NBA can take notes and contract to about 16 teams that actually have talent instead of an entire roster full of YMCA guys.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If they are then who cares. I don’t see why we should communize college athletics just to make it so Bum State U can keep the recruit it was lucky to get. They’re not a victim as far as I’m concerned, the real victim in my book is their recruit who’s forcedto play for free.
    But they are not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC hates free markets.

Thread Information