Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many probably agree. What Beto said about churches losing their tax exempt status if they don't recognize Gay marriage, OK... but they shouldn't be exempt regardless.

If they post a net gain, they should pay taxes. If a pastor or clergy gets an income, it should be taxed. There should be no federal provisions for religious ins utions of any sort. I can understand charities being tax exempt, but not churches. Their charitable donations should be tax exempt if those donations meet the guidelines any other business has to meet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i totally agree and have for many yrs now. it sickens me to drive past these multi-million dollar big churches out here with their gold statues and whatnot donning the tops of them while their pastors fly on their multiple private jets and live it up in their multiple mansions.

the devils who corrupt religion.

you're my sweetie pie Cuppycake Gumdrop's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Yeah it really makes no sense.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad this is a left and right bipartisan agreement. The bible thumping Evangelicals will disagree of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but let's play devil's advocate. Free Exercise Clause of the 1st Amendment...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

The troublesome part is the latter part... it could be construed as to think some generally applicable laws would be exempt or overruled by that mandate.

It can be argued that involving a tax would be a direct intrusion of government into the 'free exercise', to the point of being prohibitive if the church cannot afford the tax.

Then again, a counter-argument can be made such that if they only pay a certain percentage of their income (or nothing if they don't have income), then that situation wouldn't exist.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the money churches take in is on money that has had taxes paid already. But I'd maybe be for taxes on excessive proceeds.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean...you are literally conning people out of money. If that's not taxable then what is?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean...you are literally conning people out of money. If that's not taxable then what is?
    Christianity didn't make you a cuck, blake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People give more to charities like good will that their ceo make 1 million a year
    Do you think charities and churches con people ?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Christianity didn't make you a cuck, blake.
    derp slerp can't even find solace in a church thread lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the money churches take in is on money that has had taxes paid already. But I'd maybe be for taxes on excessive proceeds.
    All the money any business takes in is money that has he taxes paid already. No different for churches.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the money any business takes in is money that has he taxes paid already.
    Yup. Which is why we are way overtaxed.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    derp slerp can't even find solace in a church thread lol
    Why do you even bother, blake?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. Which is why we are way overtaxed.
    Doesn’t rationalize churches getting special exemptions though

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t rationalize churches getting special exemptions though
    Sure it does. Parishioners don't want their money double taxed. Just like people who donate to charity don't want their money double taxed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charitable donations should never be taxed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charitable donations should never be taxed.
    Too many churches are more business than church.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many churches are more business than church.
    In the business of promoting values that don't jive with your lack of ethics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't find it ethical for certain rich pastors to ask poor people for offerings when those pastors already have $10's of millions of dollars in the bank. I think Pastor Kenneth Copeland's most recent estimated net worth was over $750 million. And you're still asking poor people for money?
    Last edited by DMX7; 10-20-2019 at 01:18 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't find it ethical for certain rich pastors to ask poor people for offerings when those pastors already have $10's of millions of dollars in the bank. I think Pastor Kenneth Copeland's most recent estimated net worth was over $750 million. And you're still asking poor people for money?
    And what does this have to do with revoking the tax exempt status of all churches?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with this thinking is that the government is not allowed (per the 1st Amendment, quoted above) to be the judge of what good or bad ethics are when it comes to religion.

I don't want to assume, but I would be hard pressed to believe you support Islam promoting their values?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what does this have to do with revoking the tax exempt status of all churches?
    If a church is being run as if it were a for-profit biz, then it should be taxed. I'm ok with some churches being tax exempt I guess, but certainly not all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with this thinking is that the government is not allowed (per the 1st Amendment, quoted above) to be the judge of what good or bad ethics are when it comes to religion.

I don't want to assume, but I would be hard pressed to believe you support Islam promoting their values?
    I'm not sure Spurtacular even goes or has ever been to church but he knows that the "religious right" is on the red team, so he's all-in on religion as a result.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I consider Islam to be a political persuasion of world domination. I personally don't count it among religions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I consider Islam to be a political persuasion of world domination. I personally don't count it among religions.
    Well that's too bad for you because the cons ution and the courts do count it among religions.

Thread Information