Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-shou...extension-now/

Unless the Spurs know something we don't about Murray's knee, now's the time to extend him.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up. Thanks!

Colums in the 2nd table are switched...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Colums in the 2nd table are switched...
    Good catch

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fix my nick brah.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent writeup, top to bottom. I hope they're listening to you. Like you said, unless they know something about the knee that we dont, you don't let this kid hit free agency. I'm thinking 4/$56M with $4/50 being a discount. Maybe Klutch will agree to waive their commission.

If the Spurs don't get him extended before the deadline, I'm assuming it's because they have an understanding, and it will help them sign someone else. Otherwise, there's no reason to not get him locked up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he came from damn near nothing and is probably one more significant injury away from no set for life contract, but I don't know if that range get's it done because of the Klutch representation, his brashness and the difficulty of pinpointing the extent of the presumed breakout upcoming. Both sides supposedly think he can become a star.

LeVert, with a far more extensive injury history, signed for 3/$52M. Granted, different players and more of a body of work, but advanced stats have never painted a flattering picture of him.

At classifying the Warriors as a dynasty. Nothing dynastic about a 5 year run where they faced no elite teams in route to their fist le (not their fault obviously, but still), then begged the consensus 2nd best player in the league to join their already consensus best team in the league, to claim their next two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we stop the kawhi thread from extending

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can get Murray at 15M per year and Poeltl at 8M a year do it because it puts us in a position to build something special.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can get Murray at 15M per year and Poeltl at 8M a year do it because it puts us in a position to build something special.
    Concur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max him. Now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't really think those other guys' contract have anything to do with Murray. Brodgan is the closest. At this point, no one thinks of Rubio a franchise piece, and that's where Murray is now. Obviously, I'd be down with him getting $17M APY if he wants to take it, but I don't see why he would given how much more he could get with a strong season and how much PATFO seems to love him.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im gonna spend some time here tonight if anyone wants to ask me questions about the upcoming season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still against the idea of giving DeMar DeRozan a lucrative contract extension. A max extension would be a colossal mistake, in my estimation. The fact that he was 3-for-3 on three-pointers last night doesn’t change my opinion.
    Beautifully said. Please please Spurs just resist the temptation to extend... you can do this just hold off for 43 hours more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he came from damn near nothing and is probably one more significant injury away from no set for life contract, but I don't know if that range get's it done because of the Klutch representation, his brashness and the difficulty of pinpointing the extent of the presumed breakout upcoming.
    I don't think the Klutch representation helps or hurts much. If anything, after Marcus Morris debacle, Murray getting an extension with the Spurs probably helps Klutch regain trust with players and teams.

LeVert, with a far more extensive injury history, signed for 3/$52M. Granted, different players and more of a body of work, but advanced stats have never painted a flattering picture of him.
    Don't love the LeVert comp because LeVert is a scorer and a shooting guard, two characteristics that are still rewarded highly. Defense-first point guards are on the other end of the spectrum.

If think that's a little rich for Poeltl given what other centers got this past summer but I wouldn't complain too vehemently.

Yeah, I don't really think those other guys' contract have anything to do with Murray. Brodgan is the closest. At this point, no one thinks of Rubio a franchise piece, and that's where Murray is now.
    By any reasonable measure, Brogdon is a much more valuable player on the open market than Murray. As much as I like Murray, he hasn't even proven that he's a full-time starter. We Spurs fans are hopeful that he'll break out in a big way ... but his actual resume is pretty light outside of the All-Defensive team selection. Averaging 8, 5 and 3 two years ago puts him on a Marcus Smart level (generously, if you went with league-wide consensus, IMO), not alongside Brogdon or even Rubio.

Add in the injury risk Murray would take if he plays out the season and I think $15 million +/- $2 million is a fair range for him.

We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By any reasonable measure, Brogdon is a much more valuable player on the open market than Murray. As much as I like Murray, he hasn't even proven that he's a full-time starter. We Spurs fans are hopeful that he'll break out in a big way ... but his actual resume is pretty light outside of the All-Defensive team selection. Averaging 8, 5 and 3 two years ago puts him on a Marcus Smart level (generously, if you went with league-wide consensus, IMO), not alongside Brogdon or even Rubio.

Add in the injury risk Murray would take if he plays out the season and I think $15 million +/- $2 million is a fair range for him.

We'll see.
    I think how good you are matters for your third contract. But your second one is based on how good you're projected to be. I'm not arguing that Murray has shown more than Brogdan or even Rubio. I'm saying that people (and I suspect that includes at least a few rival front offices), see Murray the potential to be way better than Rubio. Ricky is an analytics darling, but he's a limited player, and after all these years (he was drafted 10 freaking years ago now), the book is sort of out on him. PHX didn't get him to be their future. $13-17 Million might be the market for Murray the player, but Murray the future face of the franchise has a way higher value than that. Unless he's really worried about another injury, I don't think it makes sense for him to not hold out for a near-max deal. Even if he just plays at a Rubio-esque level, he's going to get paid way more, because he'll be younger, have more upside (in terms of his frame and other physical tools) and will be very marketable to a team that needs a new foundation.

Remember that MKE decided Brogdan wasn't worth keeping over Mids and Bledsoe. No one expected Boston to try to keep Rozier. That's just not what we can expect from SA and Murray. I'm having a hard time seeing a scenario where PATFO would let Murray walk, and that ends up being more leverage than any of those other players had.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think your low on Dj. I could see it avg out to about 20 a year if we do it now. One thing we could put in there would be games played minimums to help offset the risk but still giving him the higher amount now. If we wait and he breaks out it could be a lot more. I see the spurs having more risk on not signing him then he does on not signing. If he got injured I still think a team would sign him. It would be less but I still think teams will want him especially if he does well this year before he would get hurt.
    While I dont think it would happen you also have to look at not wanting to upset him. With what happened with the Kawhi and LA if we look like we dont even take care of our own that could hurt us in trying to recruit FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be smart for spurs dumb for him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think how good you are matters for your third contract. But your second one is based on how good you're projected to be.
    You had some pretty good points but I just went back and looked at every rookie extension ever signed and I don't see an example of which you speak. Do you have an example of a player who signed a rookie extension based mostly on their potential rather than their actual production? I don't see any big paydays for a player like Murray with such a short resume. Perhaps I'm missing someone.

Maybe Murray bets on himself and holds out for $20+ million this offseason. It could certainly pay off for him. But given the question marks that remain, I'm not sure the Spurs can justify signing him right now to anything over about $17 million. If they're not completely confident in his knee, they probably will prefer to wait it out and see what happens.

I think ~$15 million makes a lot of sense as a compromise. Murray is set for life and cashes in on a large percentage of his potential, the Spurs get a young building block. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be interesting if DJ signs an extension and Demar doesn't lol or the other way around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good write up, and I agree. Lock him up. He’s made it known he wants to be here long-term, and we obviously want him here. He’s one of our key building blocks. Lock him up now and be done with it tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be interesting if DJ signs an extension and Demar doesn't lol or the other way around
    Think DeMar opts out next summer since the Free Agent pool is so weak. He could get one last payday. I could be wrong though. Maybe he likes it here and wants to extend? Time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different players obviously but I think Murray getting a Dennis Shroeder type deal would be fair. Not sure Clutch would go for it, depending on the relationship with Spurs after the Morris fiasco and Murray’s desire for financial security.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think DeMar opts out next summer since the Free Agent pool is so weak. He could get one last payday. I could be wrong though. Maybe he likes it here and wants to extend? Time will tell.
    it could get awkward here real fast is all I'm saying lol

why'd he have to open his clothery here lol

hard to get a read on PATFO's desire to keep him... I personally think it was just lip service to say they were considering a max extension. I can't actually come to believe they'd really do it in any reality.

Thread Information